Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next years u14 girls

Can someone help with the current state of u13s going into next years u14s. Where is the best place for a quality player to play in upper Ffld cty? Facilities/fields....coaching.....too many choices arrrggghh.

a club/team breakdown would be great
    Beachside
    Everton
    CFC
    SCP
    Yankee
    NE Comets

Well it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want your daughter to a bench player on a stronger team? Or a key player on a weaker team? What position does she play? Find a team where she might be able to fit in and improve a position of weakness for them.

Beachside - very good team. Excellent group of forwards. Good speed. Coaching is eh. Talented players account for success.
    Everton - average at best team. No real scoring threat. competent defense.
    CFC - which one?? Arsenal and Extreme are both very good. Extreme is probably better coached. Gunners, impact are ok. Good D2 teams. Struggle against stronger competition.
    SCP - losing their coach. They have NOT played well this spring. Not sure what happened. Have some talented players but seems to be lots of drama.
    Yankee - horrible coaching. 4-5 good players, the rest are average. Having a better spring than expected. Beat Oakwood and SCP this spring. Going NPL so lots of travel next year.
    Comets - sometimes look really good, sometimes average. They are a couple players short of really competing. Very well coached. Caught between D1 and D2 cjsa league. (6-1 fall 0-5 spring).

Comment

shes a top 5 player, Ctr Mid on a D1 team from OP

Arsenal was the one I was asking about, Extreme too far for fairfield cty

Comment

Arsenal team is coached by Jim O'Brien the head women's coach at Fairfield University. By far the best coach in the age group.

Comment

Best coach as far as what? does your daughter play on this team?

Comment

Would disagree JOB is best in age group. Know players who played for him. Does not care about his players, only W's. Made players run laps if they had questions about drills or formations. Personally if a player is asking for more direction, I consider that a good thing. Sat 5 players for entire game in a cup game vs Yankee at U12. If they are not good enough to play why have them on the roster??? money thats why. Has some very questionable players on end of roster this year as well. A bit of an egomaniac, Sorry not a fan. And NO my daughter does not and never has played for CFC so I am not a disgruntled parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Can someone help with the current state of u13s going into next years u14s. Where is the best place for a quality player to play in upper Ffld cty? Facilities/fields....coaching.....too many choices arrrggghh.

a club/team breakdown would be great
              Beachside
              Everton
              CFC
              SCP
              Yankee
              NE Comets
              Of the clubs you mentioned, with the criteria you presented (and not knowing where you live), I would rank them this way:

CFC Arsenal
              CFC Extreme
              Yankee
              South Central
              Beachside
              NE Comets
              Everton

I think the top three are all very close in player quality and coaching (Extreme is probably the strongest team today, with Arsenal slightly better than Yankee), but edge goes to CFC Arsenal primarily due to the opportunity to play an ECNL schedule next year (despite having a head coach who is essentially part time in the Fall due to his college coaching duties). The opportunity to compete on the field with some of the best players in the Northeast is a great experience for a quality player, especially if you think they may be interested in CFC United at U15. Truth be told, Extreme will likely get friendlies and into tournaments with some of these same teams as well. Facilities with these clubs are all just "okay" -- nothing compared to FSA or what you see in MA or NJ.

I would put South Central and Beachside in the middle, with Beachside a stronger team, but a very distinct militant coaching style that turns off a lot of players/parents. South Central has some size and a few decent players (one fast forward in particular), but it is the furthest away. If you were okay to travel to SCP, I'd consider Oakwood instead, where the team is stronger and they have much better facilities.

If your daughter is truly a quality player, forget the final two. They are lower tier local clubs with maybe one or two quality players on each. Everton, while good on boys side, has serious mgt and coaching issues on girls side.

There are a lot of CFC bashers on this board, but the coaching, facilities & the club overall is consistently solid, and with two quality choices in Fairfield County, you can't go wrong at U14. I guess a big part depends on where you live and how far you are willing to travel for practices. For example, if you have no issue going to Hamden for 2-3 indoor Winter practices a week , then consider Arsenal. If you live in New Fairfield and this distance would pose a real problem, go with Extreme. You give up the ECNL schedule, but you still have a strong team that will play top tier in CT and some top clubs regionally.

Comment

If JOB is part-time in Fall for Arsenal....who is the Coach in his absence?

Comment

If JOB is part-time in Fall for Arsenal....who is the Coach in his absence?
                  Combo of two female coaches: one also college coach, one current Arsenal U15 coach (also married to Arsenal DOC).

Comment

Has anybody heard where SCP's fields will be next year? Heard through the grapevine problems with Yale

Comment

lots up in the air at SCP. Coach is leaving, are being bounced around at Yale, actually playing some games in West Haven. No one knows what is going on.

I would suggest you contact a couple clubs you are considering and see if you can attend a practice before tryouts.

Comment

Questions regarding SC should go to Bob Dikranian - coachdik@yahoo.com

Comment

This is the last place I would come for advise about which club to attend. Every club gets bashed here. Everyone has their loyalties. Way to much disinformation. Is your daughter coming from travel or another leaving her current premier team? If the first, find a coach who is good at teaching skills that she probably missed out on playing travel. So coaching would be most important to me. If the latter I would assume you would have idea what all the clubs look like.

Comment

U14

shes a top 5 player, Ctr Mid on a D1 team from OP

Arsenal was the one I was asking about, Extreme too far for fairfield cty

Be careful, tricky age group. Especially given that in the Fall, many U14s could be playing HS soccer. I would ask the coach at try outs how many players will be playing HS and what impact that would have on the Fall season and what happens when those players return to the roster, ie playing time.

Not sure where you are in FFLD Cty, but find it hard to fathom that Danbury (CFC Extreme)is too far of a commute, but SCP and/or Oakwood or FSA wouldn't be.

Out of the remaining clubs, Beachside, CFC Extreme and CFC Arsenal, I would rank them as follows
                            CFC Extreme
                            CFC Arsenal
                            Beachside

Arsenal is probably the third best CFC branch at that age group, with Extreme and Wolves better. However, they have improved in the last year and do get the ECNL schedule at U14 for the CFC girls. At U15, the CFC ECNL team would be a United team playing out of Yale. So playing with a CFC team at age U14 may give you a leg up as far as selection on that team. However, if she is a very good player, it probably doesn't matter where she plays this year as the CFC United try outs arfe open to all and best talent will win out. I would recommend you go watch them play each other on June 14th and observe the style of play and the coaching and ask around in the stands to get opinions on each club. Just go to the CFC website for either team and check for the field location. It is an Extreme home game, so most likely will be at Immaculate high school in Danbury. All three of those teams will do a good deal of travel, whether the NPL, ECNL, premier tournaments, NERP, Region I and play the best local talent. I know Extreme went to Italy to play during Spring break as well. Not sure if they have international plans this year or not.

Comment

This would be the 2nd time in 3 years AD has been moved off a team. The current SCP 14s imploded after a year with AD with many of the better players moving to Oakwood. Now rumor is that many of the SCP U13 players are jumping ship!!! BD should do a better job at placing his son, I think his level will be better suited for the 2s & 3s. Does SCP have a training group at this age AD can coach?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X