Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Region 1 championship...can someone explain how it works?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Region 1 championship...can someone explain how it works?

Is it just the winner of each r1 state cup? I see talk of wild cards etc and ways to qualify?

And all these ecnl and future npl teams that have gone to this is yrs past don't go anymore?

Is it a big deal as far as tourneys go?

And has a team from ct ever one region 1?

Does the region 1 winner play another region champ towards a national champ?

Comment

NOt what it used to be

With the academies not participating the regionals while rest experience are not what they where back in the day. With that said, the younger teams just play for a regional championship with the older regional champions moving onto regionals.
      Last CT regional champ I know of on the boys side was a great little u12 team couple years back

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Is it just the winner of each r1 state cup? I see talk of wild cards etc and ways to qualify?

And all these ecnl and future npl teams that have gone to this is yrs past don't go anymore?

Is it a big deal as far as tourneys go?
        You can qualify through R1 league play too. The U14-G Oakwood team is going even though they didn't win cup.

Comment

There are still a ton of college coaches and US National Scouts at the older age groups games both boys and girls. So yes for the players that go its still worth the experience.

Comment

With the academies not participating the regionals while rest experience are not what they where back in the day. With that said, the younger teams just play for a regional championship with the older regional champions moving onto regionals.
            Last CT regional champ I know of on the boys side was a great little u12 team couple years back
            I remember that team. Wonder where they r now?

Comment

There very few college coaches at last years regional event in Lancaster and with the ECNLnationals being run at the same time I doubt many if any college coaches will be there this year.

Comment

And has a team from ct ever one region 1?

Does the region 1 winner play another region champ towards a national champ?
                I know the Beachside U12 Boys won the Region One Championship in 2009. I seem to recall a CFC girls team also winning this title in the last 3 or so years, but I couldn't find past results on the Region One website.

Is winning the Region one title difficult to do for CT teams? Absolutely. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. CT has had great teams and still does.

I am not sure about the various regional champs playing each other.

Comment

Not so long ago the Region 1 tournament was a huge event. Winning Region 1 sent the team to the Nationals against the winners from the other Regions, eventually ending with a national champion. This was are really big deal. College coaches would flock to both the Regional events (used to be 4 regions and still may be) and the Nationals.

The fault of the process, and hence the emergence of the ECNL, was that every state
                  in the respective Regions would send the state champion or on occasion a wild card
                  or winner of the Region premier league - but usually only one team per state.

What this meant was that a state like NJ, MD or VA which had several very strong teams was on an equal footing in terms of representation with states that generally had very weak teams - NH, VT, ME etc. To compound the issue, in creating the first round flights, there was no seeding so NJ, MD and VA could find themselves facing each other in the same bracket while NH, VT and ME would be in another bracket.

Net end was that many of the top teams were often getting knocked out early while
                  much lesser teams were advancing by pure luck. Every Region faced the same issue.

ECNL stepped into and in theory has created a forum where all the top teams, regardless of state of origin or how many per state, play each other towards a national champion.

The last CT girls team to win Region 1 I believe was the Weston Wild Thing sometime
                  in the mid to late 90's. Although both CFC and Yankee United have claimed this team at part of their club history at one time or another, I'm pretty sure this was an independent one-off team from the very early days of club soccer in CT. If another CT team has won since, I stand corrected,

Which goes to the general rule of thumb about CT girls soccer. While CT consistently produces large numbers of outstanding individual players, as a state CT rarely produces great teams.

Comment

The region 1 director BP has single handedly ruin youth soccer. Running the league like a tyrant and not being flexible as well as having The Regional Tournaments in Buffalo, Erie, Pa, Maine, West Virginia, Va Beach and Rhode Island on HORRIBLE fields drove several clubs to leave. He has Lancaster, the PDA facility in NJ and Maryland Sportspkex that are great facilities but never gave them a sniff all because of $$

The hotel $$$$ is HUGE at these events as tornament teams are are required to use Anthony Travel for hotels and AnthonybTravel gives a nice kick back to the tournament.

People should look at this clown and say thanks for being an idiot.

Comment

Region 1 Championships

How it works (to answer the original question:)

State champions from all regional state associations (north & east of West Virginia) are invited to the Region 1 Championships. In addition, the winner of the Region 1 league is granted automatic inclusion to the Championships. More on that later.

In age groups with no Region 1 Champion (U-19s for example) or with uneven numbers, a wildcard entry may be added. The wildcard states are drawn at random during the Region 1 Fall meeting.

The Region 1 league winner is very often the State Cup winner - as is the runner - up, and the third through sixth place. As a result, it is possible that any of the Region 1 teams who did NOT win their State cup may still get in.

Winners of Regionals are invited to the National Championships. No wild cards allowed.

As has been said before, Regionals have gone downhill since the Academy started. ECNL has also robbed some teams on the girls side, but it is not a cakewalk to win.

Comment

How it works (to answer the original question:)

State champions from all regional state associations (north & east of West Virginia) are invited to the Region 1 Championships. In addition, the winner of the Region 1 league is granted automatic inclusion to the Championships. More on that later.

In age groups with no Region 1 Champion (U-19s for example) or with uneven numbers, a wildcard entry may be added. The wildcard states are drawn at random during the Region 1 Fall meeting.

The Region 1 league winner is very often the State Cup winner - as is the runner - up, and the third through sixth place. As a result, it is possible that any of the Region 1 teams who did NOT win their State cup may still get in.

Winners of Regionals are invited to the National Championships. No wild cards allowed.

As has been said before, Regionals have gone downhill since the Academy started. ECNL has also robbed some teams on the girls side, but it is not a cakewalk to win.
                        How does a team "win Region 1" in the league? Whats the difference between a "Region 1" league competitor and a team that is not but may win the state cup??

Comment

Back to previous question the CFC Wolves 13 girls won it a few years back, probably the last girls win.

Comment

region 1

How does a team "win Region 1" in the league? Whats the difference between a "Region 1" league competitor and a team that is not but may win the state cup??
                            Region 1 premier league winner. There is a league run by USYSA called the premier leagu. Here is how the league members are choosen each year

The Region I Premier League is for the top sixteen teams through out the Region in the U13 (new for 2013), U14, U15, U16, U17 and U18 age groups for both girls and boys. The competition is designed to allow the very best teams in Region I to play each other in a league format. With only sixteen positions available in any age group through out the Region, entry into the league is competitive. Each year, selection of the 16 teams becomes more difficult. We have established a promotion/relegation system to assure that the best 16 teams are selected for the league. An automatic bids for the Premier League will be given to:

•The semi-finalists of the previous year's Regional Championship (four teams)
                            •The top four teams in each of the North and South divisions from the previous year's Premier League play (eight teams).
                            •Each of the two Sub-Regional leagues champions (two teams).

Therefore 14 of the 16 bids may be earned by teams playing regional competition.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X