Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jefferson Cup 2012 - The best?????

The Jeff Cup claims that it is one of the best tournaments in the US. They strive to be the best. I would beg to differ.

In our qualifying games, we had an AR lie about a player that cause that player to be dismissed after she was violently knocked down. There were a lot of questionable calls, lack of calls for blatant fouls (how do you miss handling the ball in the box??) and apparently a gross lack of timekeeping in one game.

Thank goodness we record the games. Look for some interesting Youtube videos in the coming months: "How to sell a foul to a ref and cheat the game" . . . "What Time Is It? It's time to give the game to the other team (alt title: I forgot my watch)" . . . "There are now only 5 rules of soccer"

I used to think the refereeing was better in quality tournaments. Over the past three years, Jeff Cup has had some really bad refereeing. I hope we spend our $850 at a tournament out west or farther south. Maybe well play teams that can actually play soccer and not lean toward rugby.

Originally posted by tknanap View Post
    The Jeff Cup claims that it is one of the best tournaments in the US. They strive to be the best. I would beg to differ.

In our qualifying games, we had an AR lie about a player that cause that player to be dismissed after she was violently knocked down. There were a lot of questionable calls, lack of calls for blatant fouls (how do you miss handling the ball in the box??) and apparently a gross lack of timekeeping in one game.

Thank goodness we record the games. Look for some interesting Youtube videos in the coming months: "How to sell a foul to a ref and cheat the game" . . . "What Time Is It? It's time to give the game to the other team (alt title: I forgot my watch)" . . . "There are now only 5 rules of soccer"

I used to think the refereeing was better in quality tournaments. Over the past three years, Jeff Cup has had some really bad refereeing. I hope we spend our $850 at a tournament out west or farther south. Maybe well play teams that can actually play soccer and not lean toward rugby.
    Let me guess. You didn't advance to the finals.

Comment

We did during the last two years . .

and we played for the 3rd spot this year. Regardless of advancement or not, the action to review the video and post what was found would have been taken if the team won their division or not.

Bad refereeing isn't based on winning or loosing. Our team has won tournaments in the past and complained about the refereeing. We've talked to parents of other teams (including teams we have beat) that suffered from bad officiating. Matches shouldn't be decided base on poor officiating.

We don't have a team of sore losers. However, we do have a team with a few parents who have ref'ed in the past and know when they see BS and poor performance. I personally watched a few matches before our matches. I didn't have any bias for any team. I did see some glaring mistakes by the refs. When a player sticks their arm out and blocks a shot on goal in the box and everyone sees it except the three "officials" on the field. Rather hard to explain that one away.

I saw a girl slam her elbow into the base of another girls neck on a 50/50. It didn't look accidental as there was a distinct swinging motion from behind. I spoke up and said "nice elbow" and the AR stated "advantage, no call" as the struck play leaned over and grabbed her neck. So I guess the new rule is, as long as the other team has the ball, you can punch, kick and play dirty.

Let's hope this type of mentality doesn't translate to other aspects of life.

Comment

and we played for the 3rd spot this year. Regardless of advancement or not, the action to review the video and post what was found would have been taken if the team won their division or not.

Bad refereeing isn't based on winning or loosing. Our team has won tournaments in the past and complained about the refereeing. We've talked to parents of other teams (including teams we have beat) that suffered from bad officiating. Matches shouldn't be decided base on poor officiating.

We don't have a team of sore losers. However, we do have a team with a few parents who have ref'ed in the past and know when they see BS and poor performance. I personally watched a few matches before our matches. I didn't have any bias for any team. I did see some glaring mistakes by the refs. When a player sticks their arm out and blocks a shot on goal in the box and everyone sees it except the three "officials" on the field. Rather hard to explain that one away.

I saw a girl slam her elbow into the base of another girls neck on a 50/50. It didn't look accidental as there was a distinct swinging motion from behind. I spoke up and said "nice elbow" and the AR stated "advantage, no call" as the struck play leaned over and grabbed her neck. So I guess the new rule is, as long as the other team has the ball, you can punch, kick and play dirty.

Let's hope this type of mentality doesn't translate to other aspects of life.
        What age group? I guess you go into every game expecting to have perfect conditions, the top referees etc. Get a clue.

We played three games. Won all of them. Very physical play in some parts of the game, good calls, bads calls but you learn to live with the environment and play. We had a player leave suffering a concussion, a competitor with a nose bleed and no one on the sideline complained at all. It's part of the game.

You're the type of parent that is the problem with youth sports in general. I bet your team and kids turn out to be a bunch of whiners who expect things be handed them. Heaven for bide they run into some adveristy along the way.

Post the video's so we can all get a good laugh at your expense.

Oh and next year, get licensed so you can video yourself calling the perfect game.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          What age group? I guess you go into every game expecting to have perfect conditions, the top referees etc. Get a clue.

We played three games. Won all of them. Very physical play in some parts of the game, good calls, bads calls but you learn to live with the environment and play. We had a player leave suffering a concussion, a competitor with a nose bleed and no one on the sideline complained at all. It's part of the game.

You're the type of parent that is the problem with youth sports in general. I bet your team and kids turn out to be a bunch of whiners who expect things be handed them. Heaven for bide they run into some adveristy along the way.

Post the video's so we can all get a good laugh at your expense.

Oh and next year, get licensed so you can video yourself calling the perfect game.
          Florida U-14 girls represented well at the tournament. You'all should come to Florida for a tournament. The weather is good.

Comment

Wow

Ultimately soccer is a game of skill, judgment and fair play. There are no perfect players, coaches, officials or parents. No expectation of perfection from me or anyone on our sideline as far as I can tell. Physical play, comments on the field, unlucky bounces, bad weather, etc is all part of the game.

Our girls play with heart. When they loose because they just didn't play well, they don't blame anyone but themselves as a team. When they win and they were lucky with bad calls going their way or good bounces, they win graciously.

Our girls have experienced soccer all over the East coast and in Europe. They have had all kinds of competition from local league play, national league play all the way up to international play. They've won some prestigious games and had a lot of players recognized. And they've lost some heartbreaking games.

And yes, I've been licensed to referee and have had parents, coaches and players use profanity toward me and other officials at calls we've made. I've been video'ed making good calls and a few bad ones. I've also had the pleasure of working with referees who did their best to call a fair game and control the level of violence that can lead to injuries. The key is, when someone says "you missed a call", you go back and find out why and correct the issue so you don't miss it again.

And I had a license to coach and had the pleasure of coaching some fantastic young girls. I'm still amazed at how coaches and parents yell at players to win at all costs . . . which is really shameful with 8/9 year olds and kind of disgraceful with the older kids. That type of win at all cost mentality leads to a lot of social issues when those kids get older and they don't "win".

Thanks for the insult about "the type of parent I am." Very amusing. My 10 year old played in a local tournament while her older sister was at the Jeff Cup. Her team played a "parks and rec" team in their bracket. Knowing that her team would trounce the other team, we immediately began cheering for the other team whenever they tried to do something well. We also corrected the referee whenever she made a bad call. I guess I should have been cheering for all 17 goals and each time the ref made a bad call so I fit your stereotype.

Congratulations on your team's victories. Sorry to hear that there were some injuries. We've had broken arms, split eyelids, sprains and a knock out (my daughter) at CASL one year. It happens.

What I have a hard time swallowing is consistently bad officiating at a specific event. Which is the topic of this post.

As a simple analogy: If I take my car to the "best" dealership to have it serviced and pay good money, why would I keep going there if the guy who delivers my car leaves it smelling rotten 9 times out of 10?

Comment

FL was great!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Florida U-14 girls represented well at the tournament. You'all should come to Florida for a tournament. The weather is good.
              We were down there in Dec and in Mar with Super Y. Great weather, good teams. Hopefully we'll be down there for Disney in Dec!

Comment

Let me tell you, we've played a lot of games out West and the refereeing isn't any better, in fact, in some areas, it's worst. I don't think a tournament is ranked by how good the reffing is. We didn't make the finals and I thought our refs did a fine job. It's a tough job and I'm thankful when we have 3 refs that show up.

Comment

by a VA team

"Ultimately soccer is a game of skill, judgment and fair play."

it's sad when the only way you can guarentee a win is by running the clock down with cheap stalling tricks. i was really disappointed because i had heard such good things about this club. not the quality soccer i expected from this particular game.

Comment

Cheap Tricks

We were at a U15 showcase last season where the Michigan coach told his players to walk to the ball whenever it went out of bounds to run the clock down. It was humurous how our girls ran to get the ball for them. Our girls won 1 - 0 in the last 10 minutes of the game. Cheap tricks don't always work.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X