Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing ACL Injuries

With my daughter starting U14 play in the fall, I worry about ACL and other ligament injuries. I would have liked to enroll her in a summer injury-prevention program at a place like Catz or High Performance Sports, but camp and vacation made that impossible. Does anyone know whether outfits like Catz offer mini-programs in injury prevention--one- or two-week sessions that teach exercise and stretching routines? Has anyone had any experience in this regard that they'd like to share?

Yes, very much. My daughter did a personal trainer through Catz and it ws wonderful. The person was an ACL EXPERT ALSO. We did this at U16 because we saw so many friends go down with the injury. Saying that she ran into a goalie with the leg straight and sure enough tore the Acl. A year later she is coming back well. Her doctor did say the knee was so strong because of the training it did help in the rehab. The Catz program is excellent but is not foolproof. It also has to be done over a longer period of time and a few session here and there would not help much.

Comment

Re: Preventing ACL Injuries

Originally posted by Worried
      With my daughter starting U14 play in the fall, I worry about ACL and other ligament injuries. I would have liked to enroll her in a summer injury-prevention program at a place like Catz or High Performance Sports, but camp and vacation made that impossible. Does anyone know whether outfits like Catz offer mini-programs in injury prevention--one- or two-week sessions that teach exercise and stretching routines? Has anyone had any experience in this regard that they'd like to share?
      Training programs are a great help, but they can only teach you what you need to do. Players need to put that information in practice and make it a routine part of their training. Also, it can only help and will not prevent ACL/MCL injuries from happening. The female anatomy is biomechanically different from males and that combined with body chemistry makes us prone to ACL damage at a rate that far exceeds that of boys. It is interesting that statistically most ACL injuries happen during HS soccer. Fatigue, over-training and inadequate post injury recovery times are some of the other risk factors they may explain that best.

To get started for the summer, there is a good program that is easy to follow:

http://www.aclprevent.com/index.htm
      http://www.la84foundation.org/3ce/acl_frmst.htm

Comment

Many thanks, Guest and Keeper. (Guest, I'm sorry about your daughter, but glad that she's doing well!)

Comment

Many thanks, Guest and Keeper. (Guest, I'm sorry about your daughter, but glad that she's doing well!)[u]

Thanks, She worked hard and is currently getting soccer offer's to play in college. Her's did happen in a Maple game.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had any experience with meniscus injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              Slightly off topic, but has anyone had any experience with meniscus injuries?
              Is it a tear? Have you seen the MRI? The location of the tear is a big factor.

Most meniscal tears need to be removed because the tissue can't be sewn back together. However, if it's a vertical tear. it may be possible to repair.

Repairs will take a longer rehab, but far better in the long run.

Have you talked with an arthroscopic surgeon, if it can be repaired, ask about a procedure using T-Fix sutures

Comment

Re: Preventing ACL Injuries

Originally posted by keeper
                Originally posted by Worried
                Training programs are a great help, but they can only teach you what you need to do. Players need to put that information in practice and make it a routine part of their training. Also, it can only help and will not prevent ACL/MCL injuries from happening. The female anatomy is biomechanically different from males and that combined with body chemistry makes us prone to ACL damage at a rate that far exceeds that of boys. It is interesting that statistically most ACL injuries happen during HS soccer. Fatigue, over-training and inadequate post injury recovery times are some of the other risk factors they may explain that best.To get started for the summer, there is a good program that is easy to follow:

http://www.aclprevent.com/index.htm
                http://www.la84foundation.org/3ce/acl_frmst.htm

This is a pet peeve of mine, and was debated on the old touchline.
                If you believe there is overtraining during the HS season,
                then parents need to say no to club practices until the HS season is over.
                You cannot blame the HS coach when on the "day of rest" you are bringing your child to club training, no matter how good your club coach is.
                Give your kid the rest they need.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X