Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

District Select

Now that District Select is underway, I'm curious if people think that the level of play has improved. Last year was the first year that MYSA allowed ODP players to participate. In my younger son's age group we only knew of a few other ODP players that participated. This year it seems that all of the teams in his age group have at least one ODP player. Coincidently, the level of play this year seems to have gotten much better. Years ago when my older son participated District Select was more like a decent town team.

Originally posted by beentheredonethat
    Have you tried District Select? It's local, it's cheap, the kids have fun and the quality of play gets better every year. It's probably equivilant to Div 2. It could become MA's best kept secret.
    Wanted to get back to this. This is dead on about District Select being the best kept secret. For the high school age kids who want to get in shape for the season and work on their game its a great situation. Two games on Sunday for 4 weeks with a weekend tournament the first week in August. It's just about playing soccer for the love of playing soccer. They don't even keep standings.
    I absolutely agree that DS is the best bang for the soccer buck. For just over $100 the players get four weeks of games (some play mid-week all play double headers on weekends) A well run tournament first weekend of August. Full uniform kit and a great playing environment. My younger son loves DS. This is the one time of year he can experiment with positions he's doesn't typically play. The coaches are low key, no practices and the kids have a blast! And as I said with the infusion of some higher level players, it seems overall the DS program has gotten more competitive.

MA-
    I completely agree. About the only thing you didn't mention is that they make a whole new set of friends. My daughter met one of her current best friends through District. Her team has a very good Maple coach and a 1-2 ODP kids. She looks forward to it every year!

Comment

Are District parents concerned about burnout? Kids in Maple play and train year-round, except for time off around the November and December holidays. Many are dual rostered on town travel teams. Should (non-Super Y) 12- and 13-year-olds be playing competitive soccer in July, too? Isn't this a good time to rest and rejuvenate, both physically and mentally?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
        Are District parents concerned about burnout? Kids in Maple play and train year-round, except for time off around the November and December holidays. Many are dual rostered on town travel teams. Should (non-Super Y) 12- and 13-year-olds be playing competitive soccer in July, too? Isn't this a good time to rest and rejuvenate, both physically and mentally?
        Normally I would agree with you, but for my boys DS has been a nice change of pace. It has always been very low pressure and a lot of fun for both of them. Their usually aren't any practices and if there are there is no requirement to go. Since its broken up by districts the boys tend to match up against players that are on their club teams. My younger son spends more time chatting with his club teammates on the field than off. (He claims that this is a good strategy because it distracts the better players on the opposing team )

Although it's good to take a break in the summer, many of the older boys are preparing for high school and need to at least be in somewhat decent shape entering into pre-season. It's also important to be getting some soccer exposure in this down time. DS in many ways fills that gap. The games are non result oriented, the only thing that really counts is the tournament the first weekend in August. As I said before, the boys are able to experiment a bit more, playing positions that they might not have had a lot of exposure to.

All of this, however, needs to be kept in perspective. If players are playing numerous things at once like ODP, Bay State Games, numerous camps, captains practices and/ or High School soccer league on top of DS, that would not be wise.

Comment

Originally posted by MASoccer
          Normally I would agree with you, but for my boys DS has been a nice change of pace. It has always been very low pressure and a lot of fun for both of them. Their usually aren't any practices and if there are there is no requirement to go. Since its broken up by districts the boys tend to match up against players that are on their club teams. My younger son spends more time chatting with his club teammates on the field than off. (He claims that this is a good strategy because it distracts the better players on the opposing team )

Although it's good to take a break in the summer, many of the older boys are preparing for high school and need to at least be in somewhat decent shape entering into pre-season. It's also important to be getting some soccer exposure in this down time. DS in many ways fills that gap. The games are non result oriented, the only thing that really counts is the tournament the first weekend in August. As I said before, the boys are able to experiment a bit more, playing positions that they might not have had a lot of exposure to.

All of this, however, needs to be kept in perspective. If players are playing numerous things at once like ODP, Bay State Games, numerous camps, captains practices and/ or High School soccer league on top of DS, that would not be wise.
          Thanks, that's a great answer. :)

Comment

Just came from my district games and the competition is pretty good.I can only speak for my daughter and she loves playing with new kids all the time. It is a great way for kids to meet new kids while playing the the game they love to play. We have tried to get her to do other stuff (piano, art camps) during the summer. All she wants to do is play. So district is a great thing for her be involved in. Low cost, lots of playing time and great lime green uniform to play in. There team (chose by them not me) is TMNT. Teenage muntant ninja turtles.

Comment

Just came from my district games and the competition is pretty good.I can only speak for my daughter and she loves playing with new kids all the time. It is a great way for kids to meet new kids while playing the the game they love to play. We have tried to get her to do other stuff (piano, art camps) during the summer. All she wants to do is play. So district is a great thing for her be involved in. Low cost, lots of playing time and great lime green uniform to play in. There team (chose by them not me) is TMNT. Teenage muntant ninja turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by justanovicecoach
                From the games we've been playing the only benefit is meeting new friends. Kick and run...kick and run. Horrible to be honest.

Comment

I think DS is a waste for the upper level players. Coaching is generally not top notch, and the other kids on the team are usually well below the skill level that the better players play with on their club teams. It's an environment to develop poor habits for the better players. One or two better players per team (if that) does not help too much.

This is not to insult the kids and coaches in the program. And for the money, it's a good value.

My son played DS for a couple of years, and he certainly had a bit of fun. But Saturday doubleheaders and a tournament in 90 degree heat takes its toll.

I disagree with MASoccer about the program's worth in preparing players for HS. The program ends weeks before HS pre-season. If HS preparation is your goal, kids are better off at a quality HS pre-season camp. These programs are specifically geared to HS preparation. DS continues to be glorified town soccer. Most ODP players I know take the summer off because it's the only period of time without club or ODP committments. Remember, ODP ID camp has just recently finished, and ODP tryouts start up again in mid-August.

Comment

Originally posted by justanovicecoach
                    From the games we've been playing the only benefit is meeting new friends. Kick and run...kick and run. Horrible to be honest.
                    Our experience has been just the opposite. My daughters coach has them focus on a lot of passing and playmaking. And this is at the U13 level. It's probably due to the different level or qualifications of the coach.

Comment

I think DS is a waste for the upper level players. Coaching is generally not top notch, and the other kids on the team are usually well below the skill level that the better players play with on their club teams. It's an environment to develop poor habits for the better players. One or two better players per team (if that) does not help too much.

This is not to insult the kids and coaches in the program. And for the money, it's a good value.

My son played DS for a couple of years, and he certainly had a bit of fun. But Saturday doubleheaders and a tournament in 90 degree heat takes its toll.

I disagree with MASoccer about the program's worth in preparing players for HS. The program ends weeks before HS pre-season. If HS preparation is your goal, kids are better off at a quality HS pre-season camp. These programs are specifically geared to HS preparation. DS continues to be glorified town soccer. Most ODP players I know take the summer off because it's the only period of time without club or ODP committments. Remember, ODP ID camp has just recently finished, and ODP tryouts start up again in mid-August.
                      So when does your son sign with Man U? Looks like you nipped his having fun in the bud. Nice job.

I love how you say "This is not to insult the kids and coaches in the program" and then immediately proceed to insult them. DS is what it is. I bet you are one of those people who spend their whole vacation on the cell phone or crackberry with the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo

So when does your son sign with Man U?
                        Why would you ask that sarcastic question?

Comment

So when does your son sign with Man U?
                          Why would you ask that sarcastic question?
                          Your post is unbelievabley arrogant........ got your life wrapped up in a neat little package dontcha?

Comment

CUJO - LIGHTEN UP, WOULDJA? This guy isn't allowed an opinion? Isn't this what this forum is supposed to be about. Seriously man, you gotta chill.

Comment

So when does your son sign with Man U? Looks like you nipped his having fun in the bud. Nice job.

I love how you say "This is not to insult the kids and coaches in the program" and then immediately proceed to insult them. DS is what it is. I bet you are one of those people who spend their whole vacation on the cell phone or crackberry with the office.
                              What a jerk you are!

What does Manchester United have to do with anything? Is that your way of dealing with the fact that some players are better than others, and that perhaps some levels of play may be innapropriate? That's not insulting anyone.

He didn't need one of his parents to take the fun out of it for him. The other families did that when they'd choose not to show up because it was too hot to play a doubleheader, leaving 11 or 12 kids to play a doubleheader on their own. They certainly didn't choose to blow it off because it was high level soccer. And don't reply with the "families are supposed to commit to the duration of the program" crap. They all agree to be part of it, and then all of sudden "things come up".

How you make a leap from that post to assuming I would be on a cell phone or blackberry during vacation is puzzling. You obviously hate people. I hope you soon get to crawl back into whatever hole makes you happy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X