Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of season

Coaches, finish the season by giving your players an evaluation. Something that will help them improve.

now that is funny!!!

first club team, spring season was only 1 week away

this club no eval

Even the town travel gave kids an evaluation....

Comment

My kid has played Town, then Club soccer for approximately 8 years. We have NEVER received an evaluation. . NEVER!

Are there Towns/Clubs that actually do this, or is there only parents who continually complain (me included) that this is just plain never done?

Comment

Not sure if they still do it, but my daughter (now a college Jr) played for Bolts. Coaches did not get final pay at end of season unless evals were completed.

Comment

evaluations

Evaluations are a great thing, at least in principle....and in practice if you have a real dedicated coach/assistant coach who is able to do so.

In the past, the only coach that I was aware of who did this was Kerr Sr.

Our town does this, but only for the purpose of selecting travel team players and for making up the town teams.

There are camps that do this such as Harvard. They will talk to the kids and even give them an idea whether or not they have a shot at playing D1, D2, or D3.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Evaluations are a great thing, at least in principle....and in practice if you have a real dedicated coach/assistant coach who is able to do so.

In the past, the only coach that I was aware of who did this was Kerr Sr.

Our town does this, but only for the purpose of selecting travel team players and for making up the town teams.

There are camps that do this such as Harvard. They will talk to the kids and even give them an idea whether or not they have a shot at playing D1, D2, or D3.
            We receive them from the club, not town.

Comment

My kid has played Town, then Club soccer for approximately 8 years. We have NEVER received an evaluation. . NEVER!

Are there Towns/Clubs that actually do this, or is there only parents who continually complain (me included) that this is just plain never done?
              and when you do get that evaluation, what exactly do you dream it will say? how happy will you be if the coach writes that your child doesn't have the athleticism and intensity to be able to parlay soccer into anything tangible for themselves so they might as well quite and save all of you a whole lot of wasted effort. odds are that is the truth you seek.

Comment

and when you do get that evaluation, what exactly do you dream it will say? how happy will you be if the coach writes that your child doesn't have the athleticism and intensity to be able to parlay soccer into anything tangible for themselves so they might as well quite and save all of you a whole lot of wasted effort. odds are that is the truth you seek.
                Huh??? Do you actually understand the purpose of the evaluations? Does you kid come home from school with a report card telling you he'll never get a job better than flipping burgers at McDonald's?

Comment

Huh??? Do you actually understand the purpose of the evaluations? Does you kid come home from school with a report card telling you he'll never get a job better than flipping burgers at McDonald's?
                  I have probaby gotten and given more sports evaluations than you could dream of. The issue becomes like grade inflation and no one really gets told anything objective. If you need something on paper to tell you what you can mostly tell by watching your child practice then by all means knock yourself out.

Comment

I have probaby gotten and given more sports evaluations than you could dream of. The issue becomes like grade inflation and no one really gets told anything objective. If you need something on paper to tell you what you can mostly tell by watching your child practice then by all means knock yourself out.
                    So you are saying a parent has the same knowledge and objectivity of a coach as regards their player???

Apparently you haven't had a good coach do the evaluations. They are valuable in finding way to improve a players game, assuming you want to make the effort. If a coach is not giving that kind of feedback or is "inflating" the grades, then they can't be considered a very good coach. So where do you fit in?

Comment

in order to do proper individual evaluation by that I mean objective,you would have to watch the player in game environment and only focus on him or her.how many club coaches are going to spend a half watching one player for an end of season eval?
                      In the NCAA national course part of you grade is to evaluate an individual..they never really showed us how they just asked us to do it. In my ussf d they went over how to observe a team not an individual not sure if they do it t the,"c". So it would be interesting to know how many club coaches actually know how to do it objectively.. I think every parent should get some feedback but to have a written eval done from a town or club program might be more harm then good. In Europe they can do itCause they have full time staff

Comment

in order to do proper individual evaluation by that I mean objective,you would have to watch the player in game environment and only focus on him or her.how many club coaches are going to spend a half watching one player for an end of season eval?
                        In the NCAA national course part of you grade is to evaluate an individual..they never really showed us how they just asked us to do it. In my ussf d they went over how to observe a team not an individual not sure if they do it t the,"c". So it would be interesting to know how many club coaches actually know how to do it objectively.. I think every parent should get some feedback but to have a written eval done from a town or club program might be more harm then good. In Europe they can do itCause they have full time staff

Very simply, players are evaluated on technical skill, tactical knowldege, physical ability, and the psychological based on what is appropriate for their age group. Each of the 4 criteria are usually broken down further into perhaps four or five additional points and then rated on a basis of 1-5. It's really not that hard to do.

Comment

Very simply, players are evaluated on technical skill, tactical knowldege, physical ability, and the psychological based on what is appropriate for their age group. Each of the 4 criteria are usually broken down further into perhaps four or five additional points and then rated on a basis of 1-5. It's really not that hard to do.
                          so do you eveluate your players in practice or game environment..indoor or outdoor.. I have seen players do horrible at tryouts or during practice but perform well in games and vice versa..players can juggle and all kinds of tricks but as soon as you put some pressure they can,t do it.. I am very curios how you eveluate tactical knowledge if a situation never arise because the style of play of your coach doesnt create it in the flow of game.. all I am saying it harder than we think

Comment

so do you eveluate your players in practice or game environment..indoor or outdoor.. I have seen players do horrible at tryouts or during practice but perform well in games and vice versa..players can juggle and all kinds of tricks but as soon as you put some pressure they can,t do it.. I am very curios how you eveluate tactical knowledge if a situation never arise because the style of play of your coach doesnt create it in the flow of game.. all I am saying it harder than we think
                            The evaluations are total. That means they are evaluated in practice and in games for exactly the reasons you state. A kid may goof in practice, but be quite good in games. Or they might be very good in practice, but choke in games. It's not that you want to tell a kid how good or how bad he is. You want to let him know what areas he's doing well and what areas need improvement. And then the coach will want to also let the player know what can be done to improve. Sometimes, when discussing youth players, it's just a matter of being patient and letting a kid grow both physically and mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4life342 View Post
                              Coaches, finish the season by giving your players an evaluation. Something that will help them improve.
                              To All the players: work on your First Touch.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X