People hate the other team's parents.

People hate other team's coaches.

People hate other team's D.O.C.'s.

People hate other team's owners.

People hate the success of others.

People hate the cost.

People hate the travel.

People hate the style of soccer.

Can someone tell me what you actually like about youth soccer(the emphasis being on the fact that we are talking about kids here)?

I'll start. I like the fact that my children are dedicated, and excited to be involved in a team building activity that gets them a great deal of exercise year round.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    People hate their team.

People hate the parents on their team.

People hate the coaches.

People hate the D.O.C..

People hate the owner.

People hate other teams.

People hate the cost.

People hate the travel.

Can someone tell me what you actually like about youth soccer(the emphasis being on the fact that we are talking about kids here)?

I'll start. I like the fact that my children are dedicated, and excited to be involved in a team building activity that gets them a great deal of exercise year round.

I like what you are trying to do. I like the comraderie of my daughters town team.

Comment

I like to yell BOOT IT!

Comment

I like to yell BOOT IT!
        I like that too.

Comment

I like that my kids learn weekly that there are more talented players out there, and that they need to work hard to minimize those differences in ability. Good lesson.

Comment

I like everything about it! Wouldn't complain a bit (this site only brings me down, so, it's nice to see a post like this).....I like how it's teaching my daughter commitmentness (is that even a word); dedication; teamwork;..etc.... everything! Esp helping her to develop confidence in a world that is all too challenging for a young tweenager. Knowing how much SHE loves every minute of it.....is worth every penny.....the gas, the hotels, the meals away, the rush to practice, the drive to Vermont, the weekend being monopolized by yet another soccer game.....worth it all. Someday........it'll be me, the husband and the TV. Not looking forward to that....not at all!

Comment

I like everything about it! Wouldn't complain a bit (this site only brings me down, so, it's nice to see a post like this).....I like how it's teaching my daughter commitmentness (is that even a word); dedication; teamwork;..etc.... everything! Esp helping her to develop confidence in a world that is all too challenging for a young tweenager. Knowing how much SHE loves every minute of it.....is worth every penny.....the gas, the hotels, the meals away, the rush to practice, the drive to Vermont, the weekend being monopolized by yet another soccer game.....worth it all. Someday........it'll be me, the husband and the TV. Not looking forward to that....not at all!
              Very cool post.

Comment

in other words...

People hate their spouses.

Comment

in other words...

People hate their spouses.
                  Another TS misinterpretation. Gee that never happens. I think what this person is trying to say is that these are good times now and they are not looking forward to growing old.

Comment

The only thing that was "worth it" in retrospect after 8 years of MAPLE was the time we spent together as a family. We learned that by the time she was a U14. Some parents never learn that. Does not matter if it is soccer or chess tournaments. In fact chess would have saved us a few bucks.

Comment

People hate their team.

People hate the coaches.

People hate the D.O.C..

People hate the owner.

People hate other teams.

People hate the cost.

People hate the travel.

Somebody needs to develop an "Angry Soccer Parent" app for the Iphone. You launch parents at a "club" structure that has the players, coaches, and other things underneath the club - eventually the angry parents if launched properly destroy the club and everything under the structure. You start at U6 and the game gets progressively harder until level U-College where the s/w locks up at some point and you are not allowed to play the game again. You start off with $100,000. About 1% of the players get a $5,000 bonus at each of the four college levels. A few get $25,000 but everybody winds up with zero $'s and points.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;661248]People hate their team.

People hate the coaches.

People hate the D.O.C..

People hate the owner.

People hate other teams.

People hate the cost.

People hate the travel.

I like that my kid spent four years (U-15 through U-18) feeling like he was part of something a little bigger than the local scene. I like that he got to know lots of other kids from other places and we got to know other parents. I like that the style of play was generally WAY above the HS style. I like that he got several other kids involved in club and then realized that the extra playing time was what was making them good. I like that they then ALL joined 2 winter leagues and a summer league and brought their entire HS team up several notches, to the point where this year, they could compete well with anyone in the state...and did.

The things I DON'T like revolve mostly around the misguided dreams of parents who pay two grand a year to have little kids playing club. If they start to show promise at 12 or 13, ok. Before that, it's really not necessary. Get them in those same winter leagues and clinics with their townies. It's WAY cheaper.

Guess what. Not many players from New England end up playing pro soccer, not to mention even D1 college. Is that REALLY what you want so badly for them? Or is it for you. C'mon. Let kids be kids.

The foreigners who dominate the sport play in the street EVERY DAY of their lives. We can't compete with that.

Have the love.

Comment

I like that my kid, who is an A++ Honors student and generally pretty quiet (socially, etc), can go out onto a field in front of people and really open up. . . something she feels awkward doing in any other setting.

To see her show confidence, aggression and drive is awesome! It's nice to know that deep down inside SHE knows she can hang with the best of them. . . even the ones with the BIG personalities who usually hold the spotlight.

I also like the feeling of comrarderie with the other players/families. We are a diverse group from many different geographies and socio-economic backgrounds, but on game day we are all part of something bigger -- a community of people going way out of our way for our kids so they can gain insight into something other than what is normally a pretty small world for a kid (home, school, etc.). Through club soccer we've traveled all over the place, met a ton of interesting and not so interesting people from all walks of life. Can't be anything but good when our kids get out on their own.

Good topic, thanks for posting it!

Comment

Because we pay $1,500 to 3,500 or 5,000 to get our kids developed and not undeveloped. MA has the second most youth soccer players in the country and we are one of the poorest performering States. Shame on the nonprofit greed mongers the DOCs, presidents, Technical Directs for scrimping on practice days per week and hours per week of practices. DOCs, Presidents, Technical Directors make $100k - $180k per year.

Comment

Because we pay $1,500 to 3,500 or 5,000 to get our kids developed and not undeveloped. MA has the second most youth soccer players in the country and we are one of the poorest performering States. Shame on the nonprofit greed mongers the DOCs, presidents, Technical Directs for scrimping on practice days per week and hours per week of practices. DOCs, Presidents, Technical Directors make $100k - $180k per year.
                              Completely agree.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X