Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Girls Teams in North Region, Last Five Years

Here is my list of the best teams in the North during the last five years. Entirely subjective and based on my personal observances:

1. 2007 Acton Boxboro - Only State Championship for the Colonials, finished undefeated (one tie) Front line of Wagner, Jensen and Brock was the best ever.

2. 2009 Acton Boxboro - Finished regular season at 17-0 and lost in a stunning upset in state final.

3. 2008 Acton Boxboro - carried an unbelievable 47 game unbeaten streak into the State Final.

4. 2009 Danvers - Featured 3 players with over 40 points and a 17-0 scoring run through the North Tourney.

5a. 2010 Belmont - Unfortunate that their late season injuries kept them from a State Title but a great side.

5b. 2010 Central Catholic - Peaked at the absolute right time for a State Title run. Not as talented as the above 5, but the most productive "team" except for the "07 Colonials.

Originally posted by HS Harry View Post
    Here is my list of the best teams in the North during the last five years. Entirely subjective and based on my personal observances:

1. 2007 Acton Boxboro - Only State Championship for the Colonials, finished undefeated (one tie) Front line of Wagner, Jensen and Brock was the best ever.

2. 2009 Acton Boxboro - Finished regular season at 17-0 and lost in a stunning upset in state final.

3. 2008 Acton Boxboro - carried an unbelievable 47 game unbeaten streak into the State Final.

4. 2009 Danvers - Featured 3 players with over 40 points and a 17-0 scoring run through the North Tourney.

5a. 2010 Belmont - Unfortunate that their late season injuries kept them from a State Title but a great side.

5b. 2010 Central Catholic - Peaked at the absolute right time for a State Title run. Not as talented as the above 5, but the most productive "team" except for the "07 Colonials.
    Hard to justify them as being best when most did not win the State Championship. and Belmont?? Come on..

Comment

living in high schooll lalaland!

Comment

Interesting list. Amazing that during the last five years only 2 teams in D1 and D2 North have won a State Title. I think you could argue that the '07 D3 State Championship team from Newburyport team deserves a spot, but even last year's Weston State Titliest lost 5 games in the regular season, so it is harder to include D3 teams in this type of list.

Comment

If you go back 6 years I would nominate the 2005 Fenwick Girls team which finished 21-1-1 losing in the Emass Finals. Best Girls HS team I have seen play, but since I haven't had someone on the girls side play since then I cannot comment on the play of the teams listed above, all of which I am sure are/were tremendous HS teams. Fenwick that year had a team full of Club players back when having such a team was highly unusual. They played a very pretty short passing possession game and possessed both size and speed. They ultimately lost to a very strong Dedham team in the Emass finals after sustaining 3 critical injuries during their State Tournament run.

Comment

The 2010 Danvers side was also very strong, with a dominating midfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Not as good as the year before in '09 although still the same nucleus.

Comment

2008 -- We got cheated out of an all-time classic semifinal between A-B and W-H when Weymouth came back from 2-0 deficit to beat W-H (and Mewis x2 plus Petta) in 2nd OT in South Final.

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Not as good as the year before in '09 although still the same nucleus.
                  Pretty funny, being as good as they were they couldn't get by a blue collar Cardinal Spellman team that eventually went on to win the states.

Comment

2008 -- We got cheated out of an all-time classic semifinal between A-B and W-H when Weymouth came back from 2-0 deficit to beat W-H (and Mewis x2 plus Petta) in 2nd OT in South Final.
                    And let me guess the WH coach and one of the players was named Boston Globe coach and player of the year.

Comment

As I said, these are based on my observations. Some of it is based on wins/losses, titles and individual performances. But ultimately it is the entirely subjective opinion of one individual. For example, I wouldn't rate the current Peabody team in the top 5, even if they win the state title. Why? Well having watched this year's team (and last year's) I think that last year's edition of the Tanners was better. Despite their earlier exit in the North Tournament. Its a similar "analysis" between the three A/B entrants. They all have some common players and its easy to question how the '09 team could be viewed as better than the '08 group. Answer: Having watched both, I felt that the '09 team was better.

More of the same with the Danvers teams. Even though the nucleus of their '09 and '10 teams is basically the same, I felt the '09 team was stronger. Part of it was that the core played better, but another part (like with Peabody) is that the players that graduated weren't replaced by players of similar or better quality. I also understand that many of these teams were upset in either the E Mass or State finals. That doesn't mean they weren't great teams, just that they finally lost deep in the tourney... sometimes to a less talented team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X