Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor Leagues

So with the indoor leagues starting, how does everyone feel about younger age groups playing up for "more competition"?

For example, saw the Blawkhawk U14's play against a u16 team this weekened. Both teams were very phsyical but of course, anytime the older team leaned into the younger team, the dad would start screaming CONTROL THE GAME REF! PULL THEM OFF! The ref called plenty both ways but I wonder if the kids are told to just fall over if they're touched as 9 out of 10 times the call will go their way.

I don't think think it's fair to either team to have these kids playing up if they're going to be physical but expect the other team to NOT be physical back. Not to mention, they also have the U13's playing in the u16 league! Can't wait to see that one.

What do other clubs do? How do they handle winter? Do they participate in leagues?

Sorry lost password but this is my registered name.

I usually only allow 1 year higher. So a 12 year old can play on u 14 but a 13 yr old has to also play u14.

There is just no excuse for a player to go beyond it as I've made that mistake with my own daughter. Lesson that I learned is once a player is bigger they are bigger. Going up to play against someone 3 years older is just dangerous. Coaches do this thinking they will not get beat up but I've seen it time and time again where they instead will get taught a lesson. If you are to late to make your age bracket resigtration don't worry about it and instead focus on some friendly matches within the club or town. Indoor field space can be had if you commit to a regular schedule.

My daughter was 11 year old playing on a u14 age group and she would get pounded. litterally thrown off her feet in the air. I recall arlington was trying to teach her a lesson because she was keeping up with them. After halftime it was out of hand. It was a 14yr old on our team that had to turn into an enforcer which helped us because no one was playing soccer anymore and instead lining up the next shot. the good thing is the 11 and 12 yr olds would freed up and ended up scoring a few goals.

So in essence don't allow the kids to play to far up beyond there age. Hold to a 1 year limit.

Comment

The Blackhawks play at the Bridgewater Dome who in turn have a policy that all club teams have to play up. Their age groups are the same as town (i.e. 2 years) so a young U11 club team will be playing against U14s.

Comment

That is ok I still wouldn't play them up that far. Don't care if that facility has that rule I'd still not do it in retrospect watching 3 of the younger adventually get hurt with broken arms and a concussion.

Comment

Originally posted by 14Soccer View Post
          So with the indoor leagues starting, how does everyone feel about younger age groups playing up for "more competition"?

For example, saw the Blawkhawk U14's play against a u16 team this weekened. Both teams were very phsyical but of course, anytime the older team leaned into the younger team, the dad would start screaming CONTROL THE GAME REF! PULL THEM OFF! The ref called plenty both ways but I wonder if the kids are told to just fall over if they're touched as 9 out of 10 times the call will go their way.

I don't think think it's fair to either team to have these kids playing up if they're going to be physical but expect the other team to NOT be physical back. Not to mention, they also have the U13's playing in the u16 league! Can't wait to see that one.

What do other clubs do? How do they handle winter? Do they participate in leagues?
          Where I ref we have u12's (club) playing up against U13/14 town teams. Not a major issue so long as the game is under control. Sometimes a small u12 will lose a legal challenge and get knocked on their can. What a parent sees as a foul may be a perfectly legal play. The younger player (if they are smart) learns to adapt their game. In a few years they are going to be 14 and going up against 18 year olds in HS. They have 2 years to learn how to handle size differences.

Never had a major injury caused by an age difference in any of my games. I don't see this as a problem.

Comment

Excellent points and they also have this disparity in middleschool. The benefit we did see is where some girls adapted and learned to use skill and speed to beat the bigger player. We focused on keeping thehead up before the ball got to them so that they could redirect the ball quickly.

In the end we had some injured players but they did not give up and the injuries where because they didnt have the skill to adapt.

Comment

U10's play u14 in South Shore Sports-center, It's good for them.

Comment

I just spit milk all over the place reading the u10 vs u14 comment. Now that is funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  U10's play u14 in South Shore Sports-center, It's good for them.
                  What the heck are U14s doing playing U10s? Shouldn't they be playing the U18s? It would be good for them.

Comment

I just spit milk all over the place reading the u10 vs u14 comment. Now that is funny...
                    Unfortunately it is true. SSS U10s are playing in the U14 division for indoor in Hingham.

Comment

Unfortunately it is true. SSS U10s are playing in the U14 division for indoor in Hingham.
                      SSS does this all of the time. Which is not good for the u14 teams. How can you play against teams that young its is a no win situation. I hate going to the sports center its mainly SSS teams and most of the teams you play are young. Don't get me wrong the u10's are good but size wise you cant have a 14/13 go against at 10/9 year old.

Comment

I bet the SSS u14s are playing in HS division, I believe they did last year.

Comment

Where I ref we have u12's (club) playing up against U13/14 town teams. Not a major issue so long as the game is under control. Sometimes a small u12 will lose a legal challenge and get knocked on their can. What a parent sees as a foul may be a perfectly legal play. The younger player (if they are smart) learns to adapt their game. In a few years they are going to be 14 and going up against 18 year olds in HS. They have 2 years to learn how to handle size differences.

Never had a major injury caused by an age difference in any of my games. I don't see this as a problem.
                          In every game I've seen this younger club team play, they are physical but once it turns physical back, they start to fall. Their parents yell and the other team is treated like goons. What good does that do anyone?

Comment

SSS does this all of the time. Which is not good for the u14 teams. How can you play against teams that young its is a no win situation. I hate going to the sports center its mainly SSS teams and most of the teams you play are young. Don't get me wrong the u10's are good but size wise you cant have a 14/13 go against at 10/9 year old.
                            Select also has 7 and 8 year olds playing on their U10 teams.

Comment

Select also has 7 and 8 year olds playing on their U10 teams.
                              It's ridiculous to have U10 girls play U14 girls. What kind of adminstration does SSS have that they would allow that to happen. I find it hard to belive they would allow that to happen. I can see them playing U12 but U14??? All it's going to take is for one of those girls to get hurt. They will be playing against 7th and 8th graders and in some instances 9th graders and you think those big girls are just going to let the 9 year old girls go by them without being aggressive. Trust me, I believe that the younger girls might have more talent than some of the U14 girls but that isn't right and LL and DL should be ashamed of themselves for allowing that. What are the parents saying about it?

That's one of the reasons this club loses players as they get older to other clubs. Just poor management of teams and where they are placed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X