Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple u12- 8v8

Heard MAPLE was bringing back 8v8 format at u12 level. Any truth to this?

And, if so, when will this happen? Spring or Fall 2012?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I am just guessing, but I doubt it will happen this year for logistic reasons.
    Such a move would demand that clubs alter their rosters dramatically to accommodate playtime in an 8 v 8 format i.e. the roster would reduce in size. Clubs would then have to consider cuts, which are not legally right since most parents have already signed contracts and paid, or adding teams, which means they have to alter their lower teams and/or find new players.

The second logistic reason would be field space, assuming that clubs would have to add teams to accommodate roster reductions. This would dramatically alter the practice and game schedules for all clubs and sites.

Although everyone could gain financially in this, to make such a change over a short period of time is not possible. If it happens in the near future, without being able to accommodate field space, clubs might find themselves limited on how many teams they can have while having to pay for more field time. In the end, any financial benefit for clubs would not be significant, however, and more important, the training and playtime for the players might improve......

Comment

Spring 2012 according to maple website. Clubs have option of either 11v11 or 8v8
      One would expect those teams playing 11v11 will stay 11v11 in the spring if they have a roster of 16-18 kids. For those teams that maybe have 12-13 they may want to switch. Who knows.

Comment

Spring 2012 according to maple website. Clubs have option of either 11v11 or 8v8
        One would expect those teams playing 11v11 will stay 11v11 in the spring if they have a roster of 16-18 kids. For those teams that maybe have 12-13 they may want to switch. Who knows.
        Good. Now they need to switch U10 to 6 v. 6.

Comment

A or B?

So I'm wondering if 8 v 8 will be for A level teams, and 11 v 11 for B level teams? NEP plays 8 v 8 for all U12 teams. Seems like MAPLE could lose more clubs unless they clarify things.
          Does anyone know if this has been addressed or if MAPLE has a plan?

Comment

So I'm wondering if 8 v 8 will be for A level teams, and 11 v 11 for B level teams? NEP plays 8 v 8 for all U12 teams. Seems like MAPLE could lose more clubs unless they clarify things.
            Does anyone know if this has been addressed or if MAPLE has a plan?
            The previous poster stated that clubs have the option. Find something else to complain about.

Comment

Competition from NEP has forced MAPLE to do this and to reconsider their relegation policy. Argue about which league is better but clearly some healthy competition has forced MAPLE to be less rigid and more responsive to requests from clubs and that is a very good thing!

Comment

Competition from NEP has forced MAPLE to do this and to reconsider their relegation policy. Argue about which league is better but clearly some healthy competition has forced MAPLE to be less rigid and more responsive to requests from clubs and that is a very good thing!
                Grow up and forget about it

Comment

I think this is a very fair post. This is the very nature of competition. It makes us better because we have to be to survive. You will se improvemenst in Maple because of it. With any business. Great post. Thank you.

Comment

I think this is a very fair post. This is the very nature of competition. It makes us better because we have to be to survive. You will se improvemenst in Maple because of it. With any business. Great post. Thank you.
                    100% agree. I would like to see a full breakdown of all the developmental aspects of NEP. I am NOT trashing NEP. Seriously, other than some teams playing similar caliber teams, how is i different than playing in a 1st division or Blue division from a develop-mental standpoint. Do they coach differently? DO they stop the game from time and correct and coach players. I really woul dlike to learn the developmental element of NEP.

Comment

Quality?

The previous poster stated that clubs have the option. Find something else to complain about.
                      I understood that teams can opt in. The question is who will opt in to which format. If Maple doesn't maintain some control over competitive parity in the the two different formats the experience might not be so great for the kids.
                      BTW, this is not a complaint, just an observation. Personally, I favor 8 v 8 at u12.

Comment

100% agree. I would like to see a full breakdown of all the developmental aspects of NEP. I am NOT trashing NEP. Seriously, other than some teams playing similar caliber teams, how is i different than playing in a 1st division or Blue division from a develop-mental standpoint. Do they coach differently? DO they stop the game from time and correct and coach players. I really woul dlike to learn the developmental element of NEP.
                        I would to. Again, I am also not saying anything negative about NEP, just trying to understand the developmental changes vs. Maple. I know some of the top clubs are there (although not all), from a practical standpoint, how is it different? Thanks

Comment

I would love to see "time-outs" (maybe one per team per game) so the coach could correct playing, but they don't do that in NEP. I think some teams are more developmental than others, and I can only speak for my son's. As an NEP parent who has had children in maple as well, one thing I've noticed is that our coach does not always coach for the sake of guaranteeing the win. In a recent close game, for example, in which our team was up by only 1 point, he had all four of the top goal scorers sitting out for a very long period of time. This enables the other players (talented but not necessarily big scorers) to develop their level of play and not just pass the ball to the kid who can score, but create their own opportunities. That's just one example that comes to my mind. My sense is that in Maple a coach would be less likely to do something like that unless there was a bigger lead. So short term, there may have been some risk, but long term you have a larger pool of well-developed players.

Comment

I would love to see "time-outs" (maybe one per team per game) so the coach could correct playing, but they don't do that in NEP. I think some teams are more developmental than others, and I can only speak for my son's. As an NEP parent who has had children in maple as well, one thing I've noticed is that our coach does not always coach for the sake of guaranteeing the win. In a recent close game, for example, in which our team was up by only 1 point, he had all four of the top goal scorers sitting out for a very long period of time. This enables the other players (talented but not necessarily big scorers) to develop their level of play and not just pass the ball to the kid who can score, but create their own opportunities. That's just one example that comes to my mind. My sense is that in Maple a coach would be less likely to do something like that unless there was a bigger lead. So short term, there may have been some risk, but long term you have a larger pool of well-developed players.
                            I suppose. Is this practice a standardized practice in NEP or is it one coach just doing a better job? I do get your point though. Maple is much more performance based to stay in certain divisions. Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X