Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Card & Off Side Question

I attended a game in Worcester at Foley Stadium last night and a player received two yellow cards with the resulting red card. I presumed that his team would be down a player but that did not happen. Is there a difference between college and high schools regarding the red card or would the result be the same in both situations?

Also, what is the rule for an offside in the box from a penalty kick? There was much discussion about a goal that was negated due to an off side call. The official was in good position but the talk on the sidelines was that it was not possible to be offside in the box once the ball is in the air and the players start jostling for position. I've watched soccer for a long time and this issue comes up (with people blaming the officials if the call doesn't go their way).

The officials did their best in an emotional high school game.

The Offside Rule

http://www.dynamic-thought.com/OffsideClicketteLo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I attended a game in Worcester at Foley Stadium last night and a player received two yellow cards with the resulting red card. I presumed that his team would be down a player but that did not happen. Is there a difference between college and high schools regarding the red card or would the result be the same in both situations?

Also, what is the rule for an offside in the box from a penalty kick? There was much discussion about a goal that was negated due to an off side call. The official was in good position but the talk on the sidelines was that it was not possible to be offside in the box once the ball is in the air and the players start jostling for position. I've watched soccer for a long time and this issue comes up (with people blaming the officials if the call doesn't go their way).

First thing when it comes to the HIGH SCHOOL game, you should forget everything you know. They don't follow FIFA rules and it becomes real confusing as to what they call and don't call....

Comment

I suspect you're talking about an offside in the box on a direct or indirect kick, and not specifically a PK. There typically is no offsides on a PK unless the offensive player ran onto a pass from the player taking the penalty kick, and the player was outside the box but ahead of the ball. For that to happen the keeper would have to have been very slow to get off his line to get to the ball.

There can be an offside on any direct or indirect kick.
        There is no offsides directly from a corner kick, but could be on secondary passes afterward.

Comment

CL was offsides blatantly and 2 yellow cards in HS Soccer equals a red but a team does not play down a man. You shrewsbury parents went crazy about that !! You need to read the HS rules as the previous poster stated totally different rules. South was the better team on the night anyways and I was pulling for shrewsbury to win !!

Comment

I suspect you're talking about an offside in the box on a direct or indirect kick, and not specifically a PK. There typically is no offsides on a PK unless the offensive player ran onto a pass from the player taking the penalty kick, and the player was outside the box but ahead of the ball. For that to happen the keeper would have to have been very slow to get off his line to get to the ball.

There can be an offside on any direct or indirect kick.
            There is no offsides directly from a corner kick, but could be on secondary passes afterward.
            I am hard pressed to figure out how someone can be in an offside position on a PK - in fact I believe that it is impossible. What probably happened is that a player from the team taking the PK entered the box too early

Comment

I am hard pressed to figure out how someone can be in an offside position on a PK - in fact I believe that it is impossible. What probably happened is that a player from the team taking the PK entered the box too early
              its not impossible, but highly unlikely, as a offensive player would have to be on the side of the penalty area and in front of the ball prior to being kicked, and would a defensive team let a player go there without a defender going with him. And if a player entered the area prior early, before the PK was hit, then the PK would have to be retaken.

Comment

good stuff! thanks!

Comment

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick
                  • the team-mates of the kicker and the goalkeeper are:
                  – outside the penalty area
                  – outside the penalty arc
                  – behind the ball

Law 11 - Offside
                  In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
                  • “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
                  body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
                  second-last opponent.

Sooooo since players of both teams must be behind the ball there is no offside infraction possible at the moment the PK is taken.

Comment

CL was offsides blatantly and 2 yellow cards in HS Soccer equals a red but a team does not play down a man. You shrewsbury parents went crazy about that !! You need to read the HS rules as the previous poster stated totally different rules. South was the better team on the night anyways and I was pulling for shrewsbury to win !!
                    Why did New Bedford play a man down last year in the south sectional finals against Weymouth when they got a red card? Was it the reason the card was given?

Comment

Not sure if this is the correct answer, but I believe it has to do with a straight red vs two yellows.

Comment

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick
                        • the team-mates of the kicker and the goalkeeper are:
                        – outside the penalty area
                        – outside the penalty arc
                        – behind the ball

Law 11 - Offside
                        In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
                        • “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
                        body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
                        second-last opponent.

Sooooo since players of both teams must be behind the ball there is no offside infraction possible at the moment the PK is taken.
                        Call it what you may, but had there been a player ahead of the ball at the time of the kick it would have been an infraction (call it offsides, or a violation of law 14) and the ball would have been awarded to the defending team at the location of the kick.

Comment

Call it what you may, but had there been a player ahead of the ball at the time of the kick it would have been an infraction (call it offsides, or a violation of law 14) and the ball would have been awarded to the defending team at the location of the kick.

Long time referee here. There cannot be offside on a PK. Before the restart all players are moved by the CR outside the box and the arc. Then the kick is taken.

If the official blew the play dead there are several primary reasons. 1) Offensive player entered box/arc before kick taken - kick awarded to defense from spot of infraction, 2) Defensive player left early, PK retaken, 3) goalie moved off the line before PK taken, PK retaken if no goal, 4) player taking PK retouches ball without an intervening touch by another player. I suspect that the fans on the sidelines may have not understood what happened.

Comment

Long time referee here. There cannot be offside on a PK. Before the restart all players are moved by the CR outside the box and the arc. Then the kick is taken.

If the official blew the play dead there are several primary reasons. 1) Offensive player entered box/arc before kick taken - kick awarded to defense from spot of infraction, 2) Defensive player left early, PK retaken, 3) goalie moved off the line before PK taken, PK retaken if no goal, 4) player taking PK retouches ball without an intervening touch by another player. I suspect that the fans on the sidelines may have not understood what happened.
                            On #4 if the PK taker hits the post or crossbar and the ball comes back to her, she can't play it?

Comment

On #4 if the PK taker hits the post or crossbar and the ball comes back to her, she can't play it?
                              Correct. Just like every other free kick.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X