Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronaldo on "The Simpsons"

On last night's episode of "The Simpsons," Ronaldo gave Lisa a yellow card for flopping. Has anyone ever seen such a yellow card issued in Maple, especially at the younger ages?

(In two years of Maple, including tournaments, I have seen many crushing tackles and plays that looked like dives, but only two yellow cards issued. One was for persistent chippy play, the other was for swearing. But that's two more yellow cards than I ever saw in two years of BAYS.)

That is a great point. I feel refs are far too lenient with kids esp at younger ages. Many times bad challenges and challenges from behind are allowed and this puts athletes at serious risk of injury. I also feel it is near impossible for younger girls especially to be booked. I witnessed RR games at 13 and saw several times when a player jumped into an aerial challenge with body turned and elbows out in an obvious attempt to cause damage and not play the ball. I was shocked that this play did not earn a booking but it repeatedly resulted in only a free kick. I contend you stay firm with the rules esp at younger ages.

Comment

I agree that you should stay firm with the rules at younger ages. By far the most common dangerous play I've seen is tackling from behind, yet I've never seen a yellow card issued for such a play. Worse, I can only remember one or two times when the referee warned a player for committing such a foul.

What I'd like to see is not necessarily more cards, but more warnings and advice from referees. If a player makes a dangerous foul, at least let her or him know in no uncertain terms that another such foul would not be tolerated.

Here are two recent examples of refereeing that I'd like to see more of. One, in the second half of the U13G finals at State Cup, I heard the referee advising players about, basically, what was permissible as they jockeyed for position in the box. I've heard this sort of input before, at older levels; at this game, I thought it was great.

Two, in a recent U18B BAYS game where my daughter was an AR, the referee did a masterly job of controlling a very physical and verbal game. He constantly spoke to the players, chiding and warning them when necessary, appealing to their sense of fair play. He maintained his composure when some players criticized his calls. And I was wrong in my original post about BAYS games: he did issue a yellow card for an illegal tackle.

As a result of the referee's control, the game remained very competitive and entertaining without getting out of hand, and the players readily shook hands after it was over.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X