Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U14G and The Specter of Performance Enhancing Drugs

The current U14-G class is arguably the deepest and most talented group ever.

Recognition competition is fierce and parents are deeply committed.

Can the specter of performance enhancing substance use be dismissed ?

The NEP, MAPLE, and ENCL rules do not specifically address the topic.

So much is available and so much is at stake.

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
    the current u14-g class is arguably the deepest and most talented group ever.

The nep, maple, and encl rules do not specifically address the topic.

roflmao

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Ok, let's start by having you tested

Comment

Well played!

Comment

Is 5 hour energy a performance enhancing drug?

Comment

I think that PED's would have minimal benefit to soccer players. They are better inclined for sports that require anaerobic bursts of energy i.e. hitting or throwing a baseball, or accelerating off the line of scrimmage from a standing start.

Strength is not terribly important in soccer. PED's do not increase aerobic capacity in and of themselves. Intelligence, technical ability, and tactical awareness are 99% of what a soccer player needs. All PED's do is bind water to muscle. How that helps a soccer player is beyond me.

Comment

I think that PED's would have minimal benefit to soccer players. They are better inclined for sports that require anaerobic bursts of energy i.e. hitting or throwing a baseball, or accelerating off the line of scrimmage from a standing start.

Strength is not terribly important in soccer. PED's do not increase aerobic capacity in and of themselves. Intelligence, technical ability, and tactical awareness are 99% of what a soccer player needs. All PED's do is bind water to muscle. How that helps a soccer player is beyond me.
              Are you saying PED use is permitted by the NCAA and FIFA ?

Comment

why would you even respond to such a silly thread???

Comment

Who told you soccer is not filled with anaerobic activity? Goalkeepers, short hard runs 1 v 1, plays in the box. It's better to be thought an ..... Never mind! Not worth it.

Comment

Just don't let your kid chow down on any musk deer glands...
                    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...itive-steroids

Comment

I am not suggesting that PEDs are or are not used in soccer but there is a lot that is wrong with your argument.

Soccer is a mix of anaerobic and aerobic. Depending on the match, there are instances when it is probably more anaerobic.

Strength IS important in soccer - going shoulder-to-shoulder to win a 50/50 & jumping for a high header are two examples of instances when strength is important in a match.

PEDs can increase aerobic capacity (VO2 max). Not all PEDs bind water to muscle. PED merely stands for "performance enhancing drug." It does not mean that the drug is going to bulk the user up. EPO (epogen) & CERA, an analogue of EPO that is longer lasting without the repeated dosing, are two exaples of PEDs that will not bulk the user up. Clenbuterol, a beta-2 agonist that could aid in aerobic capacity, is another PED that is not going to bulk the user up.

Anyway, there are a lot of PEDs that could be used by soccer players that will enhance their performance. Do I think that they are being used by 14 year old girls? No. 18 year old girls/women? No....and if they are I would be willing to bet that it is a mniscule number. Maybe something like 5 to 10 of all the players in the States. Having said that, I would not at all be surprised if the drugs are used by professional players - primarily men.

Comment

You're right. Stronger, Faster players will have absolutely no advantage.

Comment

Who told you soccer is not filled with anaerobic activity? Goalkeepers, short hard runs 1 v 1, plays in the box. It's better to be thought an ..... Never mind! Not worth it.
                          Where did I speak about goaltenders. Nice obfuscation though....

Comment

Keepers aside, there is still plenty of anaerobic work done by ALL players in a match. Anybody that doesn't cross the aerobic threshold in a match so that they cross over to anaerobic work is not playing hard enough.

Comment

Sorry! I guess my mind isn't quick enough to decipher " soccer players" does not include the GK. my bad! Or you can be a big boy or girl, and just admit you where wrong!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X