Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will MIAA do?

So probably 3/4 of the HS fields in central and western MA are going to be unplayable this week. Many teams are on the bubble or could qualify with their remaining games but are currently not qualified, seeding is supposed to happen TH with first games next weekend. Will they go with teams as they stand or widen the entries and how will they hold the tournaments Too many teams and not enough turf in C and W Mass?

This is actually a great question and it is a huge dilema for the local schools. Generallly, the MIAA does not take a leadership position in these matters, deferring to the schools and leagues. It is doubtful that they would extend the qualification/ selection dates or soften the qualification rules. It is almost impossible for them to push things back as the tournaments are probably already held too late. This may be a hard pill to swallow for a team that needs a win to qualify but simply can't get the game in.

If you are a team in that position, I'd suggest that you begin to aggressively push your coach and AD to find some sort of turf option asap, even if it requires some travel east and south. That being said, the MIAA will face issues with the tournament as the availability of central and western fields will be limited. Even with a week of warmer temps and melting. Traditionally the MIAA has been poor at thinking outside the box to handle such problems, but obviously there will need to be some (many) nuetral sites in the first two rounds and greater travel distances, Hey, what about 15 games on a Saturday in Lancaster. It would be Great for HS soccer.
    Last edited by HS Harry; 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HS Harry View Post
      Hey, what about 15 games on a Saturday in Lancaster. It would be Great for HS soccer.
      Brilliant!!!

It would give the tournament a real tournament feel. But it would be difficult to charge admission ...

Comment

Originally posted by HS Harry View Post
        This is actually a great question and it is a huge dilema for the local schools. Generallly, the MIAA does not take a leadership position in these matters, deferring to the schools and leagues. It is doubtful that they would extend the qualification/ selection dates or soften the qualification rules. It is almost impossible for them to push things back as the tournaments are probably already held too late. This may be a hard pill to swallow for a team that needs a win to qualify but simply can't get the game in.

If you are a team in that position, I'd suggest that you begin to aggressively push your coach and AD to find some sort of turf option asap, even if it requires some travel east and south. That being said, the MIAA will face issues with the tournament as the availability of central and western fields will be limited. Even with a week of warmer temps and melting. Traditionally the MIAA has been poor at thinking outside the box to handle such problems, but obviously there will need to be some (many) nuetral sites in the first two rounds and greater travel distances, Hey, what about 15 games on a Saturday in Lancaster. It would be Great for HS soccer.
        My team sits tied for 2nd in its division and is "in" as it sits right now. We are supposed to play the other 2nd place team on Wed., the last day of the season, but it is very doubtful that could happen with 12+" of snow on the grass field. Neither team has turf and there isn't much turf available AFIK. The 4th place team is 1 point behind. If they got their game in and win, they could have played 1 more game and leap-frogged both 2nd place teams by 1 point but would have played 1 more game. What the heck would/could MIAA do about this? I would bet there are a dozen similar situations or maybe more where this weeks 1-2 games which may not happen could make all the difference in the world.

Is Lancaster booked this weekend? Even so, seeding is supposed to take place this Thursday. Seems like Mother Nature may have the last laugh on the HS soccer season :-(

Comment

Why play 18 games? Cut it down 15 games and start the playoffs a week earlier.

Comment

I vote to move soccer (and field hockey) to the Spring and move lacrosse (and ultimate disc and ???) to the Fall.

Comment

Lancaster fields are free of snow?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                Doubt it, but they do have lots of turf and properly scheduled could get 15-20 of the most important games in that don't otherwise have turf access in C and W MA.

Comment

Doubt it, but they do have lots of turf and properly scheduled could get 15-20 of the most important games in that don't otherwise have turf access in C and W MA.
                  You are assuming the snow will all melt soon? Who would pay for plowing and field rental?

Comment

I was a senior in high school in 78 and on the basketball team. The big blizzard forced the cancellation of like 3 weeks of the season. As I remember it we half to play something like 10 games in 11 notes. We were completely out of gas by the time the tournament came around and lost in the first round to someone who did not make up their games.

Comment

My daughter's friend played a game in Lancaster yesterday... I was surprised they were able to get it in, but they did.

Comment

My daughter's friend played a game in Lancaster yesterday... I was surprised they were able to get it in, but they did.
                        Grass or turf? Maybe Lancaster didn't get a lot of snow.

Comment

Yesterday's MAPLE field closings

http://www.maplesoccer.com/news/fields-closed-925/

Comment

Grass or turf? Maybe Lancaster didn't get a lot of snow.
                            Turf.

Comment

Lots of AD's and HS coaches will be sure to manipulate their field status over the next few days. Anyone know if MIA has rules about whether the home team controls a game or if they have to move to the away team or neutral site if a field is available? With 3 days and 1-2 games per team hanging in the balance before seeding on Thursday, this could get ugly as teams manipulate the scheduling and playing of games.......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X