Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 on 1 Coaching

I've been thinking about having my daughter work with someone 1 on 1 or even with a small group of girls she plays with. Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it worth it? What is the going rate? How do You find someone that will do it?

I coach 1 on 1 and i see a big difference in the players that do additional training with a 1 on 1 trainer. Technically they are sharper and they have a chance to address specific tactical/physical issues that worry them. Additionally they can do so in a non-judgmental environment, it can be hard to ask questions in front of your peers.
    I would definitely advise it.

Comment

My u15 boy (top player on his town travel team last year, bottom 1/3 on his club roster) has been doing 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 sessions with his former club coach, and has really enjoyed the them, and feels like they are paying dividends, as he was called up from JV to Varsity last week, and will dress for the final regular season game, and travel with the team to any tournament games they play. I don't expect him to set a toe on the field for any of these games, but it's a feather in his cap, and he's very excited about it.

Comment

For every 1 hour session you lay out cash, be certain your child is playing 8 hours of pickup or individual ball work for free. No amount of private or team training can create a skilled player. They need to do this themselves.

Comment

I think small group training is more effective than one on one because you can actually utilize skills learned against or with another player. Many of your larger clubs offer small group clinics in the winter months. You can also contact the specific coaches directly about whether they offer one on one.

You don't necessarily need to train with the coach you currently have. Sometimes an outside perspective is useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I've been thinking about having my daughter work with someone 1 on 1 or even with a small group of girls she plays with. Has anyone ever done this? If so, is it worth it? What is the going rate? How do You find someone that will do it?
            I used to play for hours and hours with my daughter between the ages of 9 and 11. She didn't let me coach her - we just played, everything from one v one, to goalie wars, to her just shooting on me, to soccer tennis, etc.

Main thing I learned - just play...if it's fun for them and they're playing, then they'll get better. If you're daughter is older, then the one on one coaching can help refine techniques, take away some bad habits, etc. But if they are under 11, then why complicate it with too much coaching. I'm sure 1 on 1 coaching will help - but so does backyard games. It's not complicated - it's the same formula a thousand european and south american kids follow every day.

Comment

I have coached players 1 on 1 for goaltending and I feel that is very effective. I think for younger players U12 and under that 1 on 1 training works for technical areas. Above that age I don't think it is of much use.

Comment

Low: $60 per session

High: $100 per session

Depending on the coach and background.

Comment

As indicated the more game time a player has the more they will be able to execute the training they get in the game time scenario.

low end as indicated is around $60 but I've seen the high end around 120 per hour.

The more the trainer is familar with the player the better as this will cut down on the ramp up time of the trainer and player. A new relationship means extra cost as they get to know each other escpecially on the trainers side. Trainer needs to learn what the student is good at and where the limts are before true training can begin.

Comment

Where do you live? how old is your daughter? how serious is she?

I know a couple of excellent coaches whom I would recommend, depending on your answers.

Another good place to start for a recommendation is often with your club coach--they may recommend another coach, former coach, former club player, etc. Your daughter's club coach should NOT do one-on-one sessions with any player s/he currently coaches, of course!

Comment

Where do you live? how old is your daughter? how serious is she?

I know a couple of excellent coaches whom I would recommend, depending on your answers.

Another good place to start for a recommendation is often with your club coach--they may recommend another coach, former coach, former club player, etc. Your daughter's club coach should NOT do one-on-one sessions with any player s/he currently coaches, of course!
                      OP here. Thanks for all the responses. I look forward to more.

We live in the Metro West area.

My daughter is 10 and she is pretty serious. I don't know how to rate her in terms of exactly how serious she is, but she tends to gravitate toward soccer when playing by herself (juggling, off-the-wall, dribbling, shooting), when she has friends over, and when she's supposed to be getting ready for school. She is also not averse to "working" on aspects of her game or repeating techniques over and over in order to improve.

Can you recommend anyone in the Metro West area?

Comment

My daughter is 10 and she is pretty serious. I don't know how to rate her in terms of exactly how serious she is, but she tends to gravitate toward soccer when playing by herself (juggling, off-the-wall, dribbling, shooting), when she has friends over, and when she's supposed to be getting ready for school. She is also not averse to "working" on aspects of her game or repeating techniques over and over in order to improve.

Go with PM or BB. Both are SAT tutors also. Never too early to get started with that too. They'll do back-to-back sessions.

Comment

Does she play club?

Comment

Does she play club?
                            Yes. Plays for her club and for her town.

Comment

I think age 10 maybe bit young for 1 on 1 coaching, unles shes begging you to get her that for her birthday. Personally i think if you help her set up so e informal pickup sessions with friends of similar or better skill level, it would benefit her even more, very rarely do kids do this because they have so many practices. 1 on 1 may be better for some technical intricacy but pickup helps build an better soccer sense and imagination. Kids try things when unstructured they would be too nervous to mess up infront of a coach. I coach at the highschool level and am constantly amazed at many of the players lack of soccer/ atheltic sense, they are good at doing what they are told, but dont have that feel for things developed when trying to beat your buddy in a touch battle at the park.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X