Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are some good ones out there, please share!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some good ones out there, please share!

I thought I would start a thread that would give parents an opportunity to discuss some positive experiences they have had or our having with coaches. I will let someone get it started so I'm not accused of having an agenda.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I thought I would start a thread that would give parents an opportunity to discuss some positive experiences they have had or our having with coaches. I will let someone get it started so I'm not accused of having an agenda.
    I actually think the positive experiences for players probably is much greater than you would think when looking at this forum. There is too much negativity on this site and we forget that there probably is a larger percentage of people enjoying both their team and coaches. There is also a large percentage of people who don't even acknowledge this site because of some of the nastiness that goes on here. I like that someone is finally looking for something positive here.

Comment

Fred Day, Mike Sheedy, Rob Gonnom are all class acts who coach Club and HS.

Jim Swift of Mt Alvernia is also a top notch guy. Our teams went head to head in a heated rivalry for 7 years in the same conference and he is a class act. We never let our rivalry diminish our respect for one another. Firm handshake and a pat on the back for each other no matter who won. Retired Newton Fireman BTW.

Comment

Fred Day, Mike Sheedy, Rob Gonnom are all class acts who coach Club and HS.

Jim Swift of Mt Alvernia is also a top notch guy. Our teams went head to head in a heated rivalry for 7 years in the same conference and he is a class act. We never let our rivalry diminish our respect for one another. Firm handshake and a pat on the back for each other no matter who won. Retired Newton Fireman BTW.
        I will agree with 3 out 4 and in the spirit of the thread I won't disclose my displeasure for one. This is good stuff!

Comment

Happy at a Smaller Club

I'll add something positive. This fall has been our family's first experience with club soccer. Prior to tryouts, we knew very little about club soccer other than the competition was better than town soccer and the coaching (in most cases) was better.

Our daughter has always been a good athlete who loves soccer, but she really "awakened" this past spring. While she had been juggling and fooling around with soccer balls for years (my poor walls!), she became more eager to learn 1v1 moves, turns, etc.

We pretty much ruled down our choices to 2 clubs in our area - one was one of the bigger clubs discussed on this forum, the other a smaller club. After talking with some parents that had experience with one or both of the clubs, we decided to have her try out for both. The night before tryouts, she was very ill and was unable to attend the first day. On day 2, we had to make a choice. Since she was still not 100% she tried out at the smaller club, because we did not want to "risk" her not making a team at all.

She made the team (U10), and we could not be happier. She really likes her teammates, and we get along well with other parents on the team. Her coach is very professional and kind, and he has taught the girls a lot. I can honestly say I have seen improvement in the team, and more importantly my daughter with each passing week. Her footskills, confidence, and love of the game are all growing in her current atmosphere.

Based on what I have read on this board, most posters probably think I am wasting my money. Her club is small, her coach has an accent (the humanity!), and her team does not play in the top division in Maple. But she's happy. She's having fun. And while she may not be maximizing her potential at her current club, she is showing rapid growth and improvement in her game.

She's one of the better players on her current team, but I can't be sure she'd make the team at a bigger club. Even if she did, I can't be certain that she'd be happy there (even though 2 of her closest friends play there). Ultimately, where she wants to try out next June will be up to her, but we are hoping she decides to stay where she is - even if it means a State Cup or a college scholarship aren't in the cards for her.

Comment

We take it year by year. My daughter who is a solid player played for a small club for several years and for the first two felt comfortable. When she started to feel less challenged (bored) she then tried out for one of the top clubs, and made their second team. She is happy, challenged, the coaching is outstanding, and the experience has been very positive. That's not to say she doesn't have hard lessons to learn at times, but all in all not only is she becoming a much better player, but she is becoming a confident young lady. I do think that the coach as well as the culture of the team (which both the coaching and parenting help foster) make a difference.

We are not looking for a D1 scholarship or national team. We are spending about the same amount of money as parents whose daughters dance, so I don't buy the criticism that we are wasting our money.

If the experience changes or there is a negative change in coaching, we would not stay.

Comment

Just as I thought!

Six responses on a positive thread. People love drama and negativity and being a coach is a thankless job.

Comment

Darman Esad from FC Napoli - classy guy that is all for player development. Small club but he is very good at developing the younger kids and is very reasonable with what they charge players.

Comment

Big and Small

We've had good experiences with a number of coaches. DR at Abbey Villa is great. Like so many coaches he tells you the team is about development not winning. Unlike many coaches, he means it. Every practice revolves around possession soccer, 1 v. 1 and playing under pressure. Stresses fundamentals over winning at game time. My child's skills and confidence went way up playing for him.

As for big club, DM ("Big D") at NEFC is great. Another coach that focuses on fundamentals instead of winning. Great with kids and makes them better players.

Although I haven't had a child play for him, I've always been impressed with JB from James Bede Soccer. Kids play good soccer and his coaching demeanor is relaxed and positive.

Comment

Check out the thread "rising U18s and recruiting clames" Coach is "retired" but coached a team where 9/18 girls, now seniors in college are still playing, and why coaching philosphy and development are what really matters.

Comment

RN from the SF Vikings. Tremendous coach and teacher of offensive skills. No nonsense approach, but great for development. Had tremendous teams a couple of years back with his U16 and U17 Boys teams. Large percentage of his players from this team are playing in college. Very good coach.

Comment

RN from the SF Vikings. Tremendous coach and teacher of offensive skills. No nonsense approach, but great for development. Had tremendous teams a couple of years back with his U16 and U17 Boys teams. Large percentage of his players from this team are playing in college. Very good coach.
                        The same RN that got red-carded out of a U11 game last year in his first appearance as a coach for Aztecs?

Nice impression... ; )

Comment

Our postitive experience has been with Danny L from SSS. What a kind man and so good with the kids. My daughter simply adores him. He is well respected by the parents as well as the kids. He is no nonsense yet cares deeply for the kids and their development. A class act.

Comment

The same RN that got red-carded out of a U11 game last year in his first appearance as a coach for Aztecs?

Nice impression... ; )
                            Thanks for focusing on the positive as was requested on this thread. Only positive experiences with RN and that was over a 5 year period.

Comment

Keith Caldwell at Scorpions. Keith coached my daughter for two years and helped develop her into a smart, technical, tactical, versatile player. He treats all of his players with respect and let's them know what he wants them to work on, at every practice, that is great development.

Thanks for the chance to say something nice on this forum.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X