Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U11b nep

Hi--My son is playing for what I guess is a small to mid level maple club. He is having a decent time, and the coach seems dedicated, but a couple of his friends are playing for u11 NEP teams. I have read much of the debate on this forum about the differences between Maple and NEP, but I am wondering if at this age it make sense to investigate switching teams to play in NEP? Does it make much difference in terms of helping the kids get better, while at the same time allowing them to continue to have fun? I guess these questions may be naive, but if anyone could help that would be great. By the way, my son is a decent athlete who will probably max out as a decent high school player.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi--My son is playing for what I guess is a small to mid level maple club. He is having a decent time, and the coach seems dedicated, but a couple of his friends are playing for u11 NEP teams. I have read much of the debate on this forum about the differences between Maple and NEP, but I am wondering if at this age it make sense to investigate switching teams to play in NEP? Does it make much difference in terms of helping the kids get better, while at the same time allowing them to continue to have fun? I guess these questions may be naive, but if anyone could help that would be great. By the way, my son is a decent athlete who will probably max out as a decent high school player.

If you are wealthy then the sky is the limit. If you are not then you really have to consider what you perceive as his ultimate goal. Keep in mind that you can't really tell anything about a U11 player other than his interest in the game. The physical, mental, and emotional development is amazing from now until 17.

Be that said, I would find the best coach who coaches a competitive team, in a competitive league.

In other words the third and fourth divisions of club soccer is not worth the money. Many would argue that the second division of club soccer is also not worth the money. I am not even sure that the first divisions are worth the money, but the come a lot closer than the lower divisions.

I would suggest that you seriously look at the town system. If the coach is great then that might be the best place to be and save on college tuition, travel, and time.

Comment

I don't think you can make any blanket judgment that would apply to all NEP teams. Every club--and, to some extent, every team within a club--is different. Some NEP teams might be a good move for you and some might not, so I wouldn't try to decide on MAPLE or NEP first and then proceed to evaluating clubs in the league you've chosen. If there's a particular team you're interested in, look into it. Whether it's playing in NEP or MAPLE may affect how that team is coached or something else that you consider relevant, and that might affect your decisionmaking to some extent, but it would be only one of many factors.

Comment

Thanks for both of the thoughtful replies. I do appreciate it.

I have been through issues surrounding the right team for my older kids in other sports, but I have never really dealt with it for soccer, so I am new at this.

Comment

Thanks for both of the thoughtful replies. I do appreciate it.

I have been through issues surrounding the right team for my older kids in other sports, but I have never really dealt with it for soccer, so I am new at this.
          I think both of the previous posters are spot on. To use my son as an example, he was not enjoying soccer with a certian club last year. Poor training and mean boys. We switched to a new team and he is loving every moment. It just so happens that both of these teams are now in NEP. I guess my point is the league does not matter as much as the enjoyment you son gets for the team and coach he is with. Good luck.

Comment

If you're son's having a "decent time" and you've found a "dedicated" coach, I'm not I see a burning need to make a move. There are good NEP clubs and good MAPLE clubs (though it's also true that some of the very best NEP clubs were originally MAPLE clubs and as recently as last season). Anyway, all that glitters is not gold. I have heard that a number of coaches and clubs that have recently joined NEP are not all that happy with it and are contemplating returning. Whether that happens, remains to be seen.

MAPLE does have a huge issue - there are simply too many fly by night clubs out there now putting one or two teams (many of them weak and ill-prepared to compete) into MAPLE and MAPLE should consider limiting their participation in some fashion to ensure that the level and quality of play is maintained, but this is an explosive issue.

All of that aside, you really have two options (assuming your son is truly a competitive, capable player) - have him try out and move him to a top team on a top club or, if you've found a capable, committed coach, stick with him and wait for that team to develop. If there's a solid core of talent there, over time you will attract more talent (and the lesser players will be cut or they'll leave due to playing time). Natural selection applied to soccer. It takes longer and this requires patience, but it can be more rewarding.

Good luck.

- Odie

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X