X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top soccer team booted from playoffs for strange technicality

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-wp7674

Should the AD and/or coach keep their jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Should the AD and/or coach keep their jobs?
      Of course they should and the kids should get to play too. Let's not go off the deep end because a mistake was made.

Comment

*This is copied and pasted from the comments below the article*

While it sounds logical to let them play, we do not know who else would be affected. Would another school that chose to abide by the rules be knocked out of the competetion? IF this team won would it be fair to those that abided by the rules? Were other teams banned this year or in previous years because of the same violation? What about next year when someone does the same. You must be consistent in the application of the rules or everyone will expect an exception. I would suggest all other schools eligible for the state competetion be polled and if the all agree, this team should be allowed to participate.

Comment

Wow. Totally bummer. Talk about institutionalized stupidity. NY state seems to have cornered the market this time. Wish there was some way to support those girls.

Comment

Wow. Totally bummer. Talk about institutionalized stupidity. NY state seems to have cornered the market this time. Wish there was some way to support those girls.
            Hire a lawyer.

Comment

Hire a lawyer.
              Given that T-S appears to be just overrun with ivy league professionals, perhaps one will step up to the plate and volunteer their services.

Comment

Rules are rules. . .

Comment

Rules are rules. . .
                  Rules are made to be broken...

Comment

Rules are rules. . .
                    Love this quote.

Rules are rules...unless your child is the one hurt or involved in the stupidity.

A group of reasonable adults should get in a room, come up with a decision that does not hurt the players, however gives some type of punishment to the school that prevents this from happening again - and the girls play, have fun and the memory of what could be some of their last game is a good one.

Comment

Mass limits the number of games as well. The penalty is to forfeit any extra games.

Comment

There are appeal and waiver provisions in any set of Institutional By-laws for a reason, and that reason should be to allow correction of minor mistakes that would damage the experiences of the student-athlete. If the story is true on its face, and the team in question is simply the unfortunate victim of shotty oversight and paperwork by their athletic administration... then grant the waiver. I can appreciate the need for uniformity but there is a point where the hard-line isn't distinguishable from the really stupid line.

Comment

Originally posted by HS Harry View Post
                          There are appeal and waiver provisions in any set of Institutional By-laws for a reason, and that reason should be to allow correction of minor mistakes that would damage the experiences of the student-athlete. If the story is true on its face, and the team in question is simply the unfortunate victim of shotty oversight and paperwork by their athletic administration... then grant the waiver. I can appreciate the need for uniformity but there is a point where the hard-line isn't distinguishable from the really stupid line.
                          In this case I agree with you. I don't see any advantage to a team playing 1 more game than their neighbors. And the penalty should be to the school in the form of a fine. I would imagine that the group making this decision would have struggled a bit, especially knowing what the consequences were. I'm sure that they talked about it only being one game. But what if it were three games, or four games. Then what? I believe that they felt as though their hands were tied. What other rules could they change on the fly?

Comment

OK, so let's just reinforce to our kids that when rules are broken it's OK to just go ahead AFTER THE FACT and change the rules so that little Mia can play.

Why not just do away with rule-making entirely and just give everyone a trophy and a pat on the top of the head?!

Rules are in place for a reason. If you don't like the existing rules, work to change them so that future players aren't faced with a similar situation.

This TEAM broke the rules, for which there are consequences. Once out, you can't put the cat back in the bag. But you can get another bag (i.e. change the rules for going forward)!

Tough lesson learned. . .

Comment

Another good lesson to learn is the penalty has to fit the crime. It's not OK to cut off someones hand for stealing. These kids are facing much to severe a penalty for an administrative error over which they have zero control. MIAA forfeiting the extra games is fair. NY kicking a team out entirely is not. Lesson learned.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X