Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you look for in a premier club

Just wondering when sending your child to a premier club, what are you looking to get out of the experience? Is it more important that they push their college connections? Is it location? Price? Coach? Size?

I am working with a smaller club a little bit to help better promote themselves. Its getting hard for the smaller clubs to compete when the CFCs of the world keep buying up clubs. But is a player who is maybe not a top 5 on an FSA, or Oakwood or Beachside really better off in a big club? Most larger clubs will drop almost any player if a better player comes around. They don't seem interested in developing what they have. Ex. why would South Central U12, a team that was undefeated last spring (girls) cut 8 of their 18 players during tryouts? They did not lose a league game. Why not develop what you have? And no I don't have a child who plays there, just using that as an example. At U10-U14 are parents really concerned with going to a club that will help with scholarship? Do most realize that only 3-4% of high school athletes get any form of scholarship money? That means most of the players playing premier today won't get one. So does that really drive parents to clubs anyway?? Again if you are that good, top player on any of the top clubs, I understand it makes sense to really choose a club that can give you max exposure, but that is not the majority of players playing.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just wondering when sending your child to a premier club, what are you looking to get out of the experience? Is it more important that they push their college connections? Is it location? Price? Coach? Size?

I am working with a smaller club a little bit to help better promote themselves. Its getting hard for the smaller clubs to compete when the CFCs of the world keep buying up clubs. But is a player who is maybe not a top 5 on an FSA, or Oakwood or Beachside really better off in a big club? Most larger clubs will drop almost any player if a better player comes around. They don't seem interested in developing what they have. Ex. why would South Central U12, a team that was undefeated last spring (girls) cut 8 of their 18 players during tryouts? They did not lose a league game. Why not develop what you have? And no I don't have a child who plays there, just using that as an example. At U10-U14 are parents really concerned with going to a club that will help with scholarship? Do most realize that only 3-4% of high school athletes get any form of scholarship money? That means most of the players playing premier today won't get one. So does that really drive parents to clubs anyway?? Again if you are that good, top player on any of the top clubs, I understand it makes sense to really choose a club that can give you max exposure, but that is not the majority of players playing.

The reaility is that individual development happens outside of team practice. Coaches dont have time to work on their players' individual skills. If your kid wants to get better, then they need work on their game in the back yard, attend clinics and maybe work with a footskills coach.

I wouldn't recommend Oakwood. They have no loyalty to the boys or girls. Worse on the boy's side. Their coaching isn't that great either except for GC and DF. Just my opinion.

Comment

The reaility is that individual development happens outside of team practice. Coaches dont have time to work on their players' individual skills. If your kid wants to get better, then they need work on their game in the back yard, attend clinics and maybe work with a footskills coach.

I wouldn't recommend Oakwood. They have no loyalty to the boys or girls. Worse on the boy's side. Their coaching isn't that great either except for GC and DF. Just my opinion.
      Spent years of with Oakwood and had an excellent experience on the girls side. Very good coaching, incredible bond on the team. Highly recommend if you are a dedicated player.

Comment

Loyalty doesn't exist at big clubs OR small clubs. If a team is successful, it tends to attract a lot of kids. The clubs always take the best players available. The only teams that don't cut players are teams that don't have better kids show up at tryouts. Why did the undefeated SC U12 cut players and take new ones? Because (rightly or wrongly) they thought the new ones were better and would make the team even stronger.

Comment

Loyalty doesn't exist at big clubs OR small clubs. If a team is successful, it tends to attract a lot of kids. The clubs always take the best players available. The only teams that don't cut players are teams that don't have better kids show up at tryouts. Why did the undefeated SC U12 cut players and take new ones? Because (rightly or wrongly) they thought the new ones were better and would make the team even stronger.
          Well said. Maybe they cut 8 players because they were undefeated with the 11 or 12 that made that happen but there was some fat they had to trim to get better. Usually player # 15-18 aren't helping you win games. 8 players is a lot to cut though when you are a good team.

As far as what club to play for location is important. Where are you located?

Comment

I am not looking for a club. I guess I am more trying to find out if a smaller club can still attract quality players, when competing against bigger clubs. Clubs that throw around college connections, the "scholarship" word, etc. When most of the time they don't care about the players at all. Why would a club not Keep a team together? Why not develop the kids you have? I guess that takes work, and effort. It just seems to me a lot of the bigger clubs want to throw a group of the top athletes together and hope they gel enough to win the clubs some games. At the younger ages it should be about development. It should be about commitment from both sides. If a club would commit to players from U13-U18 would it make you consider over a club that would not make that same commitment? Just throwing it out for discussion. Trying to assess what is truly important in the current premier landscape.

Comment

I am not looking for a club. I guess I am more trying to find out if a smaller club can still attract quality players, when competing against bigger clubs. Clubs that throw around college connections, the "scholarship" word, etc. When most of the time they don't care about the players at all. Why would a club not Keep a team together? Why not develop the kids you have? I guess that takes work, and effort. It just seems to me a lot of the bigger clubs want to throw a group of the top athletes together and hope they gel enough to win the clubs some games. At the younger ages it should be about development. It should be about commitment from both sides. If a club would commit to players from U13-U18 would it make you consider over a club that would not make that same commitment? Just throwing it out for discussion. Trying to assess what is truly important in the current premier landscape.
              You have to look at the parents/players the same as the club arguement. If a parent thought their kid could get better wouldn't they move their kid to a better club? Of course they would. And why not. Kids develop at different stages. Some clubs are better off with a group of "b" team level kids because if they have 1 or 2 really good players those kids will not get better playing with weaker players. Beachside develops good players and they have turnover just like everyone else. Kids will stay loyal to a club for only so long. If the grass is greener right?

Comment

Smaller clubs need an online presence to showcase their training and get inexpensive visibility.

College connections dont matter until the end when you consider a kid might get cut after 4 yrs at u16 when smaller club's best players move up to get more airtime.

The biggest thing in NE is facilities. There aren't many choices. The three big girls clubs have indoor fields and the areas don't really overlap. When the best clubs in the warm weather states are playing 10 month seasons kids in CT end up playing half that. Thats not counting rainouts or muddy fields which create tenative play due to fear of injury. Mud fields are a good way to tear an acl. Parents are understanding that today.

Training probably should be the biggest thing. With all things created equal the best players will follow good coaches to develope. Positive learning envirornment is important and is the area small clubs can excel. Is it fun?

The third thing, which is really a product of the first two is competition. If your team is not on your level you wont be challenged in practice and it will make for ugly play.

There are some other small factors like money and tourney schedules. Kids dont want to hear their friends are doing tourneys all the time and their small club doesnt have any ins on them. These really depend on the above. Clubs with facilities bring in more kids and bring in more coaches and therefore have their own tourneys and therefore can charge less with volume despite more initial overhead.

Comment

You have made a number of statements without the facts to support them. Rubbish post.

Comment

Unfortunately of Fortunately (depending if the glass is half full or half empty), It all comes down to WINNING. The more a club wins, The more mom and dad want their kid in that club and ultimately that attracts better players. You never hear from a parent of a good player that they want their kid to develop; all they want to know is how to get on the fast track to a professional career, which leads them to believe only a big club can do that. Unfortunately that is not always true. A truly great player will be found whether the play in the academy, ecnl, town soccer or decide to play for their high school for the first time as a freshman

Comment

Unfortunately of Fortunately (depending if the glass is half full or half empty), It all comes down to WINNING. The more a club wins, The more mom and dad want their kid in that club and ultimately that attracts better players. You never hear from a parent of a good player that they want their kid to develop; all they want to know is how to get on the fast track to a professional career, which leads them to believe only a big club can do that. Unfortunately that is not always true. A truly great player will be found whether the play in the academy, ecnl, town soccer or decide to play for their high school for the first time as a freshman
                      A player may be awesome, but if there not going to the right tournaments to be seen, doubtful that a college coach will make the effort to watch them play in High School unless the college is nearby. Same with town travel.

Comment

A player may be awesome, but if there not going to the right tournaments to be seen, doubtful that a college coach will make the effort to watch them play in High School unless the college is nearby. Same with town travel.
                        Town travel for girls is very limited at the high school years. Teams at all levels struggle to maintain full rosters past 16, a commitment to soccer with week-nite training, weekend games is difficult for many. Smaller clubs made up of local players can survive but it is tough. I've seen them fall apart with a few the serious players going to other clubs.

Comment

[QUOTE]You have made a number of statements without the facts to support them. Rubbish post.[QUOTE]

How is this rubbish?? I am simply trying to find out, can a small premier club expect to compete with the larger clubs? Can they expect to attract talented players? Esp at the younger ages. Or are we destined to a premier client where there are 3-4 clubs left standing and everyone plays for them? Are parents of 11-12-13 yr old children really so delusional that they ALL think their child is going to get a scholarship to college because CFC says it gets more kids scholarships? Is that why CFC, FSA, South Central are growing? Is it because they show the names of players who went pro and happened to maybe play there a couple years and then every parent thinks their kid is going to go pro? Just trying to get a better understanding of why someone chooses one club over another.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;646935][QUOTE]You have made a number of statements without the facts to support them. Rubbish post.

How is this rubbish?? I am simply trying to find out, can a small premier club expect to compete with the larger clubs? Can they expect to attract talented players? Esp at the younger ages. Or are we destined to a premier client where there are 3-4 clubs left standing and everyone plays for them? Are parents of 11-12-13 yr old children really so delusional that they ALL think their child is going to get a scholarship to college because CFC says it gets more kids scholarships? Is that why CFC, FSA, South Central are growing? Is it because they show the names of players who went pro and happened to maybe play there a couple years and then every parent thinks their kid is going to go pro? Just trying to get a better understanding of why someone chooses one club over another.
                            It's an interesting question but I suspect to give you a proper answer you'd have to have some actual research done. Why do people choose Dunkin Donuts coffee over Starbucks. There isn't a single answer, nor do I think you'll find a single answer in club soccer. For one thing, the answer is going to vary quite a bit by age group because when kids hit the 14+ ages there are a few other things on their minds about the club of choice that were not there when they were 10 or 11.

In addition, it's not like the parents are the sole decision makers in the process and if you've ever met a 13, 14 0r 15 year old girl, you'll understand that their thought process is a lot different than their parents. But yet, its a big factor in the decision.

On the other hand, based on my experience of seeing a little of the three clubs you mentioned, they have distinctions that definately separate them both in terms of the soccer side, but also in terms of the atmosphere or club environment. I'd suggest you begin by just starting to do a little breakdown of each of these clubs in terms of the way they communicate themselves to the marketplace, and i think you'll start to see that these distinctions are reflecting flavors of taste in the market just like Starbucks and D&D.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;646935][QUOTE]You have made a number of statements without the facts to support them. Rubbish post.

I can think of at least a dozen good sized clubs in Ct besides CFC and another 4-5 smaller ones. Hardly the 3-4 you predict. Geography is the limiting factor. Most parents are not driving more than 20-30 minutes each way to practice 2-3 times a week.

Most parents I know through soccer do not share your obsession with any particular club's
                              college or professional success stories.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X