Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros/Cons on midseason moves

Ok Fall is almost over now the important questions. What are the pros and cons for a midseason move if you don't like where a team is going or how they have come together as a group? Would teams even consider picking up a player over the winter months if the kid is planning to move?

And to answer questions ahead of time, not all teams require a whole year (Fall/Spring) up front for payment.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And to answer questions ahead of time, not all teams require a whole year (Fall/Spring) up front for payment.
    No, but all teams do require a whole year commitment.

The only way I would even consider a midseason move, would have to be a huge problem - eg. coach lied about teams level/goals/plans, or major change in outside situation, eg loss of job, move, etc.

You have made a commitment to the team and the team has made a commitment to you. It should mean something, and you should be teaching your child that it should mean something.

Comment

I disagree. If your kid isn't happy , cut Your losses and move on . Why drag a bad situation especially if Your kid is getting screwed.

Comment

I disagree. If your kid isn't happy , cut Your losses and move on . Why drag a bad situation especially if Your kid is getting screwed.
        Grass wasn't greener with RL?

Comment

I totally agree with this comment especially if the "development" is not happening as preached. Why sacrifice you're childs future development for some business goal. Yes it's tough on teams but at the end of the day your child only develops once. Don't waste a second waiting until the team feels it's good for you to leave. You need to put the child first no matter how you as a parent look at it. Isn't this what every team sells anyways?

I believe the first response to this post must not be a parent of a child. No way would you'd sit back and let them sit on a team that was doing nothing for their overall development. What would you be teaching? DO they sit back and enjoy the misery because that is only going to make you a better player? I'd be more worried they would leave the sport so I guess it's your call. For the money you pay it better be benefiting your child IMHO. Some of these club nuts think its ok to let kids waste away until the year is out so that they don't have to do their job. It's absurd and contradicts everything they say they are trying to be.

Comment

Because you and your kid made a decision at the beginning of the season to commit to a team. That decision affects the team as a whole as far as contribution to the team (as in soccer and financial). Unless you are talking about an abusive situation, play through and both you and your kid should chalk it up as a learning experience.

Comment

RL, we have hit an iceberg, what should we do?....RL?.....RL? ....

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                rl, we have hit an iceberg, what should we do?....rl?.....rl? ....
                sink.

Comment

RL, we have hit an iceberg, what should we do?....RL?.....RL? ....
                  hello "H", this is RL, what do I do now, parents hate me, kids are quitting, what do i do? hello "H" , are you there?

Comment

my son left a team mid-season as a 13 year old. he complained that nobody passed and it wasn't as fun as playing pick up at home. he told me it was a waste of time and money. i tried to convince him to honor his commitment and stick it out, etc. but he was miserable, there were plenty of players, and my wife sided with him. in retrospect he was 100% right. the level wasn't any good, it was a business first, hence the large roster and expensive fees, and the team was playing pretty lousy soccer. he returned to playing after school until dark with whomever showed up at the fields, and loved playing again. about 2 months later he was asked to join another team with older boys that was a much better fit. he's now visiting colleges and likely to land at a D3 with both great academics and soccer. my advice is to listen to your child and not impose your wants, dreams or sense of duty on them.

p.s. the $ we saved on gas and travel more than made up for the few months of lost team fees.

Comment

Because you and your kid made a decision at the beginning of the season to commit to a team. That decision affects the team as a whole as far as contribution to the team (as in soccer and financial). Unless you are talking about an abusive situation, play through and both you and your kid should chalk it up as a learning experience.
                      This sounds more like the response of a club DOC than a parent.

We have had both club experiences: wonderful and dreadful. We are glad that we had the wonderful and we moved away from the dreadful when the Fall season ended. The move proved to be very beneficial to our child and the team we left is still a disaster. For the record, we moved because the coach had too many commitments and there was no visible development of the players, including ours.

The commitment the poster above refers to cuts two ways: we pay the club money and we expect development in return. If the club doesn't live up to its promises, why should its consumers be expected to?

Comment

hello "H", this is RL, what do I do now, parents hate me, kids are quitting, what do i do? hello "H" , are you there?
                        RL- Sorry we are having an FOH meeting tomorrow night and will let you know. Do you think Pioneers and WU will take us all back, even you? Can't believe we got out-coached on Sat. and you promised that we would make the State Cup final 4? Who are these lowly NEP teams beating us?? I thought my daughter was ECNL material? We'll get back to you soon. (sarcasm off)

Comment

RL- Sorry we are having an FOH meeting tomorrow night and will let you know. Do you think Pioneers and WU will take us all back, even you? Can't believe we got out-coached on Sat. and you promised that we would make the State Cup final 4? Who are these lowly NEP teams beating us?? I thought my daughter was ECNL material? We'll get back to you soon. (sarcasm off)
                          Getting out coached by PM (any credentials yet?) is reason enough to bail, never mind it being by a mediocre MAPLE team!

Comment

not welcome back.

Comment

not welcome back.
                              you have to let us back, you just have to. our kids are the best.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X