• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Love Town Ball

Politics & Big Kicks get it done!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Politics & Big Kicks get it done!
    Don't look now, but, you've just described club soccer as well, and high school too.

Comment

You will soon learn that a lot of clubs are the same way.

Town soccer is a tough one and you should carefully analyze the situation before drawing conclusions about the coach or the style of play. If you are lucky enough to have a town coach that cares about teaching the kids good soccer skills, that is a good start. If you can at least get that out of town, it can be a lot of fun for the kids. Keep in mind, however, that the diversity in skill level for most town teams makes the coach's job very difficult. Even if the coach teaches the kids to not just kick the ball, some kids because of skill level will still just kick the ball when under pressure.

If your kid plays town they should treat it as an opportunity to feel more free to work on skills. If the coach is jerk or insists on stuff you think is wrong than just play club.

Comment

I pay my kid $10 per goal.

Comment

I pay my kid $10 per goal.
          Only $10? You're not going to get many goals at that price.

Comment

an additional $10. goes to the coach for setting up my kid with the opportunity.

Comment

an additional $10. goes to the coach for setting up my kid with the opportunity.
              haha. For the record, I have found equal political issues in town and club.

Comment

Originally posted by 14Soccer View Post
                Some town teams can be quite competative, as my daughter is in 8th grade, a club player, and this springs travel A team will be almost 100% club players. It is serious soccer, but the atmosphere is so different from her club team. They have great coaching and the girls seem to have alot of fun. Alot of the players get to play different positions than they do in club, and everyone seems much more relaxed!!

Comment

Some town teams can be quite competative, as my daughter is in 8th grade, a club player, and this springs travel A team will be almost 100% club players. It is serious soccer, but the atmosphere is so different from her club team. They have great coaching and the girls seem to have alot of fun. Alot of the players get to play different positions than they do in club, and everyone seems much more relaxed!!
                  Your lucky!!! My daughter was the only club player so it was miserable!!!

Comment

Your lucky!!! My daughter was the only club player so it was miserable!!!
                    Forget the overlaps, forget passing, forget moving off the ball, tell her it is time to play Forest Gump , and get the ball and run to the net and shoot Forest, Run.

Comment

That's a great plan but its the double edged sword as I had to use her in everywhere. No goalie so She played goalie. Other than that it was funny to see her have to run the ball the length of the field. to bad most teams on the div 1 team faced had club players. She was a salmon swimming upstream most of the time.

There was one game where she got so fed up she'd try to score by banging the ball off her own players. Crossed the ball right into one of her players and knocked her down. She would then charge the ball and try to score off the rebound.

Comment

I installed a steel toe into my kids cleats, it works well & everyone is jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by 14Soccer View Post
                          There are politics in any organization, that's just the nature of things.

The difference with town programs vs. club programs is that you have to live next door to these people, send your kids to school together, go to church together, and see each other at town events.

Everything is just more personal in the town program.

Comment

Forget the overlaps, forget passing, forget moving off the ball, tell her it is time to play Forest Gump , and get the ball and run to the net and shoot Forest, Run.
                            And pray she doesn't get killed because of some town-level ref (or lack thereof).

Comment

be fair...

all this town soccer bashing is entertaining, but a bit disingenuous.

there is an ever-increasing number of town programs that are healthy and developmentally sound. in fact, there are towns that have competed well and achieved success against the "top" clubs that get praised on this very site.

i understand that speaking in generalities is convenient. continue with them, but do try to be balanced...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X