Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The entitlist American idealism starting to take route in EPL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The entitlist American idealism starting to take route in EPL?

Some EPL owners against relegationEmailPrintComments275Associated Press
    LONDON -- Some of the Premier League's foreign owners want to abolish the relegation and promotion system, a senior English soccer executive said Monday.

With half of the Premier League's 20 clubs under foreign ownership, League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan said if more teams are sold to overseas investors they could force a dramatic change to the rules.

There are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League. If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen.

-- League Managers' Association CEO Richard Bevan
    "There are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League," Bevan said at the Professional Players Federation conference in London. "If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen."

Forcing through any change to the Premier League's rules requires the support of 14 of the 20 clubs.

"Certainly you'll find that with American owners and you'll find that with some of the Asian owners (they have been talking about scrapping relegation)," Bevan said on the sidelines of the conference.

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Manchester United and Sunderland are owned by Americans, while Blackburn is under Indian ownership and Queens Park Rangers has Malaysian backers.

Under the current system, the three bottom clubs are relegated each season from the top flight to the second-tier Championship, while three clubs are promoted from the Championship to the Premier League.

Bevan wants The Football Association to implement rules that would prevent the current promotion system from being changed.

"If you look at sports all around the world and you look at sports owners trying to work out how to invest to make money, you will find that most of them like the idea of franchises," Bevan said. "If you take particularly American owners, without doubt, there have been a number of them looking at having more of a franchise situation and that would mean no promotion or relegation.

"Obviously if I was an American owner and I owned a football club or I was an Indian owner I might be thinking I would like to see no promotion or relegation, my investment is going to be safer and my shares are going to go up in value."

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some EPL owners against relegationEmailPrintComments275Associated Press
    LONDON -- Some of the Premier League's foreign owners want to abolish the relegation and promotion system, a senior English soccer executive said Monday.

With half of the Premier League's 20 clubs under foreign ownership, League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan said if more teams are sold to overseas investors they could force a dramatic change to the rules.

There are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League. If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen.

-- League Managers' Association CEO Richard Bevan
    "There are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League," Bevan said at the Professional Players Federation conference in London. "If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen."

Forcing through any change to the Premier League's rules requires the support of 14 of the 20 clubs.

"Certainly you'll find that with American owners and you'll find that with some of the Asian owners (they have been talking about scrapping relegation)," Bevan said on the sidelines of the conference.

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Manchester United and Sunderland are owned by Americans, while Blackburn is under Indian ownership and Queens Park Rangers has Malaysian backers.

Under the current system, the three bottom clubs are relegated each season from the top flight to the second-tier Championship, while three clubs are promoted from the Championship to the Premier League.

Bevan wants The Football Association to implement rules that would prevent the current promotion system from being changed.

"If you look at sports all around the world and you look at sports owners trying to work out how to invest to make money, you will find that most of them like the idea of franchises," Bevan said. "If you take particularly American owners, without doubt, there have been a number of them looking at having more of a franchise situation and that would mean no promotion or relegation.

"Obviously if I was an American owner and I owned a football club or I was an Indian owner I might be thinking I would like to see no promotion or relegation, my investment is going to be safer and my shares are going to go up in value."

It would be ashame... No relegation is one of the big factors that keeps MLS a very very average league.. No insentive to stay out of last place.

Comment

It would be ashame... No relegation is one of the big factors that keeps MLS a very very average league.. No insentive to stay out of last place.
      If MLS had relegation, it would have gone out of business by now. It might work many, many years into the future, but there simply is not the minor league infrastructure in place to support P/R at the MLS level. The D2 and D3 landscape in the US has no stability whatsoever. The MLS single-entity system, for all its faults, is a major factor behind why the league survived to the point that it is a pretty stable league.

Comment

Bankruptcy of soccer clubs is the issue. The EPL can not go on in it's current financial form.

Comment

nep mentality

Does this argument then suggest the NEP model is not good, isn't it the same idea?

But aside from that, It is a protective measure to curtail the potential loss of major money invested. Can you imagine the financial beating a premier league team would have if they were purchased for a few hundred million and then dropped to League One?
          It is also a way to get some money in revenues without having to invest in relegation survival. Either way it doesn't matter, the English league is a hack fest. I choose the Primera primero.

Comment

If MLS had relegation, it would have gone out of business by now. It might work many, many years into the future, but there simply is not the minor league infrastructure in place to support P/R at the MLS level. The D2 and D3 landscape in the US has no stability whatsoever. The MLS single-entity system, for all its faults, is a major factor behind why the league survived to the point that it is a pretty stable league.
            Integrate the PDL

Comment

Does this argument then suggest the NEP model is not good, isn't it the same idea?

But aside from that, It is a protective measure to curtail the potential loss of major money invested. Can you imagine the financial beating a premier league team would have if they were purchased for a few hundred million and then dropped to League One?
              It is also a way to get some money in revenues without having to invest in relegation survival. Either way it doesn't matter, the English league is a hack fest. I choose the Primera primero.
              The whole point of relegation/promotion is to ensure you field a competitive team... Look at professional sports in America and you get owners who just suck the money from the clubs they own and not put a dime back into the team. (ie Pittsburg Pirates, KC Royals etc.) these teams are continuously bad and just SUCK the revenue sharing money that each clubs contributes which I am sure aggravates those that do spend the money on Players that can help. Not saying that it is also a reflection of the management of these clubs as well, but there is no incentive for these clubs to field competitive teams.

At least with Promotion and Relegation in the EPL (finances aside) you need to field a competitive team to remain on top and if you don't you don't belong in the EPL.

Bankruptcy is a bigger issue, in this case the old owners asking for and receiving premiums on the value of the clubs from the new owners is the problem of the new owners. They enter into the agreement knowing that the league has this format they should consider that as part of the Buy in Process

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X