X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want more skillful play?

Change the officiating.

I heard an interesting point on the radio (5live BBC) about one of the differences between the game in the UK and the game on the Continent. On the continent, in youth games for U12's and under, referees will blow for fouls almost anytime that contact is made in a tackle thus giving a chance for the skillfull players to play without fear of over physicality from opposition. Whereas, in the UK (and US I guess?) the standard shout from the touchlines in youth games is still 'get stuck in!!' and refs allow physical play.

Agree or disagree?

Agree 100%. I've been advocating refs call games more strictly for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Change the officiating.

I heard an interesting point on the radio (5live BBC) about one of the differences between the game in the UK and the game on the Continent. On the continent, in youth games for U12's and under, referees will blow for fouls almost anytime that contact is made in a tackle thus giving a chance for the skillfull players to play without fear of over physicality from opposition. Whereas, in the UK (and US I guess?) the standard shout from the touchlines in youth games is still 'get stuck in!!' and refs allow physical play.

Agree or disagree?
      The Youth Game in the UK is a mess. That information was given to me by a former EPL and FIFA Referee.

Comment

Isn't this true at all levels of soccer?

For example, if the D1 womens college game was called tightly, there might be less need for blatant kick and run soccer.

Comment

I'd wish they'd tighten the MLS officiating. I can't stand watching the rock 'em, sock 'em style of soccer they play in MLS.

Comment

I wish soccer would clamp down on its officials and assess them more often. Call me fouls, but make sure they actually are fouls first.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X