Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casl

I noticed that the dates for CASL will interfere with some of the teams who go far into the state tournament. That is a major showcase and could cause some problems for juniors who are into there most important year for college recruiting.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I noticed that the dates for CASL will interfere with some of the teams who go far into the state tournament. That is a major showcase and could cause some problems for juniors who are into there most important year for college recruiting.
    yup, guess your child will have to throw the HS season.

Comment

Happens every year. If you are not thinking about attening college outside of New England why go?

Comment

Happens every year. If you are not thinking about attening college outside of New England why go?
        I don't know about you but my daughter is looking all around the country at all the bet schools. Yes she is looking at mostly in new England but her top choice is in the south. Her high school team could go far but most likely she will be in attendence.

Comment

I don't know about you but my daughter is looking all around the country at all the bet schools. Yes she is looking at mostly in new England but her top choice is in the south. Her high school team could go far but most likely she will be in attendence.
          Thanks so much for the update. Please keep us posted.

Comment

Actually the schedule rotates every year between boys and girls so last year this tournament was after Thanksgiving for girls. Lots of coaches from Northeast schools attend every year and last year competition was very strong in both ECNL and non- ECNL brackets. In terms of bang for your buck, it is right up there with PDA for best tournament on the East Coast.

I believe there are potential conflicts for both public and private school kids with State Finals on public side and NEPSAC semi-finals and finals on the private side. Biggest problem is travel planning for any kid on a high school team with reasonably good chance to advance in playoffs. Too bad clubs from area can't work together to reserve some sort of alternative transportation (charter bus?) for folks who can't commit to attend until close to departure date.

Comment

Actually the schedule rotates every year between boys and girls so last year this tournament was after Thanksgiving for girls. Lots of coaches from Northeast schools attend every year and last year competition was very strong in both ECNL and non- ECNL brackets. In terms of bang for your buck, it is right up there with PDA for best tournament on the East Coast.

I believe there are potential conflicts for both public and private school kids with State Finals on public side and NEPSAC semi-finals and finals on the private side. Biggest problem is travel planning for any kid on a high school team with reasonably good chance to advance in playoffs. Too bad clubs from area can't work together to reserve some sort of alternative transportation (charter bus?) for folks who can't commit to attend until close to departure date.
              Are you suggesting that the team, coaches and parents all take a 13-14 hour bus ride (each way) just in case one or two players are in a HS playoff game?

Comment

CASL will not be a major recruiting event this year. The womens final four showcase will be the bigger event and that will take place the first week of Dec. CASL will not draw as many coaches this year since they are not hosting the final four. The CASL event is early this year so not to go up against the final four event. Head to GA.

http://www.gsasoccer.com/tournaments/index.html

Comment

CASL will always remain a massive event for high level teams. Especially when the ECNL goes year-round and high school soccer is no longer relevant.

Comment

CASL will not be a major recruiting event this year. The womens final four showcase will be the bigger event and that will take place the first week of Dec. CASL will not draw as many coaches this year since they are not hosting the final four. The CASL event is early this year so not to go up against the final four event. Head to GA.

http://www.gsasoccer.com/tournaments/index.html
                    Sorry your daughters team didn't get accepeted but it is a major showcase one of the top in the country for girls.

Comment

Except for 2009, the girls have always been after Thanksgiving. The decision of the NCAA to make GA the permenant home of the Womens College Cup has obviously changed the scheduling priorities of CASL and my guess is that they will rotate the boys/ girls each year. The bigger issue with CASL are: a.) ECNL's decision not make the CASL Tournament one of its National Events; b.) ECNL's decision to not schedule a National Event in conjunction with the College Cup in GA; and c.) the decision of the USYSA NL to schedule its National Event in conjunction with the College Cup in Atlanta after Thanksgiving. All of these things will take the luster off of CASL as a "true" national recruiting venue, but I think "b.)" will preserve it as an excellent regional event. If you look at the accepted teams and college coaches list, you see tremendous interest from R1 and R2, but almost nothing from west of the Mississippi.

Comment

Except for 2009, the girls have always been after Thanksgiving. The decision of the NCAA to make GA the permenant home of the Womens College Cup has obviously changed the scheduling priorities of CASL and my guess is that they will rotate the boys/ girls each year. The bigger issue with CASL are: a.) ECNL's decision not make the CASL Tournament one of its National Events; b.) ECNL's decision to not schedule a National Event in conjunction with the College Cup in GA; and c.) the decision of the USYSA NL to schedule its National Event in conjunction with the College Cup in Atlanta after Thanksgiving. All of these things will take the luster off of CASL as a "true" national recruiting venue, but I think "b.)" will preserve it as an excellent regional event. If you look at the accepted teams and college coaches list, you see tremendous interest from R1 and R2, but almost nothing from west of the Mississippi.
                        Great post- thanks for clarifying what is going on with no agenda or league or club flag waving. Having looked more closely at accepted teams and coaches attending this year, I agree that CASL was bigger and more of national event last year (although weather was awful and they cancelled entire last day).

Comment

http://www.gsacollegeshowcase.com/TTCollegeList.aspx tid=GSAAIW&tab=6&sub=2&sYear=2011&Sex=F

It seems the list of college coaches going to GA for their Final Four Showcases is much more impressive than CASL this year. I saw the post earlier post about someone’s daughter not getting into CASL this year and I would fine that pretty hard to believe that any team won't get in since it won’t be the draw it was in the past. CASL uses these showcase events as a money maker so everyone will get in, they just won’t play in front of many coaches. I would expect that all the ECNL and USYS Nat League teams will be in front of all the coaches at the GSA Showcase.

Comment

The ECNL teams will be grouped together at the GSA Showcase and will use the event for ECNL league games in conjunction with the Final Four Showcase. It seems like the person doing the scheduling for ECNL messed up big time and that GSA came to rescue. Either way I agree that both the ECNL and National League teams will be in the best possible recruitment situation. If you are going to travel from New England to the South you should invest in playing at the best venue and that will not be CASL for the next two years.

Comment

Know this is not what any of you want to hear but save your money. Most of your kids are going to go to school within roughly a 3-4 hour drive. You'll find that you can get an awful lot done through PDA and some of the other smaller regional showcases like NEWSS. Best situation would be for the a couple of the bigger local clubs to host a series of friendlies against each other and invite all the college coaches in the region to attend. MPS used to do that and it generated a heck of a lot more interest than our multiple trips to CASL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X