Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pace

This topic probably has already been discussed here but I am not often at TS so I probably missed it. Right or wrong, I generally define pace in soccer in a few different ways. Here are some of the ways that I define pace:

- moving immediately when receiving a pass or moving while receiving a pass. Not delaying that split second of time that gives the opponent what they need to close on you.

- making quick decisions with the ball.

- passing at speed, with purpose, with speed, etc.

- closing fast on a 50/50 ball or sprinting full out for a ball that is not in possession.

- showing fast footwork and making fast moves.

I am sure that there are others and feel free to add anything that you may think of. The reason that I am thinking about this is because I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday. He thinks that I am crazy because I feel that pace is largely something that can't be taught. A player either has it or they don't. If, indeed, it comes later to a player which may be possible, I maintain that if a player is not showing pace by the age of 12 or 13 chances are that they will not. He thinks that I am crazy and I very well may be but I am making these statements based on past observations. Agree or disagree?

First, playing with pace presumes good technical skills otherwise you'll turn into a bull like Brian Mullan. Second, having pace pre-puberty does not necessarily mean you'll have it during/post puberty, although generally speaking, it is true. If you don't have it pre-puberty, my experience is, chances are you won't have it post puberty.

Comment

Originally posted by Johny Cash View Post
      This topic probably has already been discussed here but I am not often at TS so I probably missed it. Right or wrong, I generally define pace in soccer in a few different ways. Here are some of the ways that I define pace:

- moving immediately when receiving a pass or moving while receiving a pass. Not delaying that split second of time that gives the opponent what they need to close on you.

- making quick decisions with the ball.

- passing at speed, with purpose, with speed, etc.

- closing fast on a 50/50 ball or sprinting full out for a ball that is not in possession.

- showing fast footwork and making fast moves.

I am sure that there are others and feel free to add anything that you may think of. The reason that I am thinking about this is because I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday. He thinks that I am crazy because I feel that pace is largely something that can't be taught. A player either has it or they don't. If, indeed, it comes later to a player which may be possible, I maintain that if a player is not showing pace by the age of 12 or 13 chances are that they will not. He thinks that I am crazy and I very well may be but I am making these statements based on past observations. Agree or disagree?
      "pace" = how fast you can run

"speed of play" = quick decisions, etc. as you describe above

Comment

high speed of play but no pace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPqD...ayer_embedded#

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          "pace" = how fast you can run

"speed of play" = quick decisions, etc. as you describe above
          First of all, the above is the right way of describing what you are talking about. My daughter started playing soccer when she was twelve. She has plenty of "pace" (fast runner) but has never caught up to the kids with years more playing time in the "speed of play" category. So I guess I agree with you on this one.

Comment

I love doing this drill with the kids. They find it fun and challenging and they are building up and warming up their touch skills. This is a great warmup leading to gametime or before practice gets going.

Comment

I love the trash talking that comes with this drill too.

Yo mama this, yo mama that.
              You're so slow I'll meg you twice.
              Take that you punk.
              Ya girl, keep tripping on your big ass feet.

Love it.

Comment

John Wooden said it best (and it applies equally well to soccer) "Play quickly, but don't hurry."

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  John Wooden said it best (and it applies equally well to soccer) "Play quickly, but don't hurry."
                  I don't believe the D1 college coaches have bought into this advice. "Play frantic and move as fast as you can" seems more like the mantra.

Comment

picante sauce

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X