Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promising future?

The US was awful at the Copa America, but are looking very good at the U20 World Cup. US wins their group with a record of 2-0-1. First game was a 1-1 tie against a good Korea team. Second was a 6-1 win over Poland who had beaten Brazil 1-0 in their first game. Freddy Adu scored a hat trick in this game. Last night they beat Brazil 2-1 and Brazil was very Brazilian. ;) Some interesting statistics so far.

Statistics

BRA - USA
    23 Shots 12
    4 Corner kicks 7
    2 Yellow cards 3
    0 Red Cards 0
    51% Possession (%) 49%

Teams - Top goals
    GF/GFA/MP

USA 9/3.0/3
    Spain 8/2.7/3
    Argentina 7/2.3/3
    Chile 6/3.0/2
    Mexico 5/2.5/2

Players - Top goals
    AGUERO, Sergio (Argentina) 3
    ADU, Freddy (USA) 3
    SZETELA, Danny (USA) 3
    ALTIDORE, Josmer (USA) 3

Hightlights:
    About 10 minutes worth: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2090&hl=en

The close-up version, about 3 minutes: http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/videolist.html

They play again on Wednesday.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Re: Promising future?

Originally posted by FSM
    The US was awful at the Copa America, but are looking very good at the U20 World Cup. US wins their group with a record of 2-0-1. First game was a 1-1 tie against a good Korea team. Second was a 6-1 win over Poland who had beaten Brazil 1-0 in their first game. Freddy Adu scored a hat trick in this game. Last night they beat Brazil 2-1 and Brazil was very Brazilian. ;) Some interesting statistics so far.

Statistics

BRA - USA
    23 Shots 12
    4 Corner kicks 7
    2 Yellow cards 3
    0 Red Cards 0
    51% Possession (%) 49%

Teams - Top goals
    GF/GFA/MP

USA 9/3.0/3
    Spain 8/2.7/3
    Argentina 7/2.3/3
    Chile 6/3.0/2
    Mexico 5/2.5/2

Players - Top goals
    ADU, Freddy (USA) 3
    SZETELA, Danny (USA) 3
    ALTIDORE, Josmer (USA) 3

Hightlights:

The close-up version, about 3 minutes: http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/videolist.html

The "ODP" selection and political issues of US soccer will never make it a powerhouse to compete at international level. We need a drastic reform. I thought that we were set to be world champions by 2010? Do you know how far behind we looked at the last world cup? Brazil U20s has more than 35% of their players not competing at this event. I may sound like a hater (US basher), but don't put your hope too high. International soccer is for real! In 4-5 years watch out for african teams.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM

Statistics

BRA - USA
      23 Shots 12
      4 Corner kicks 7
      2 Yellow cards 3
      0 Red Cards 0
      51% Possession (%) 49%

Teams - Top goals
      GF/GFA/MP

USA 9/3.0/3
      Spain 8/2.7/3
      Argentina 7/2.3/3
      Chile 6/3.0/2
      Mexico 5/2.5/2

Players - Top goals
      ADU, Freddy (USA) 3
      SZETELA, Danny (USA) 3
      ALTIDORE, Josmer (USA) 3

Hightlights:

The "ODP" selection and political issues of US soccer will never make it a powerhouse to compete at international level. We need a drastic reform. I thought that we were set to be world champions by 2010? Do you know how far behind we looked at the last world cup? Brazil U20s has more than 35% of their players not competing at this event. I may sound like a hater (US basher), but don't put your hope too high. International soccer is for real! In 4-5 years watch out for african teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Insider
        The "ODP" selection and political issues of US soccer will never make it a powerhouse to compete at international level. We need a drastic reform.
        And it is called the USSF Developmental Academy.

I thought that we were set to be world champions by 2010?
        I'm finding it interesting, the number of coaches who in the past were very critical of US soccer, are now giving this U20 team some very positive comments. I don't know that the US can win by 2010, but I think the players on this team are suggesting the US will do better than they did in 2006.

BTW ADU just turned 18 and Altidore will turn 18 in November. We may see a lot of them in future World Cups.

Freddy Adu, DOB: 06/02/89
        Josmer Altidore, DOB: 11/06/89

Do you know how far behind we looked at the last world cup?
        Yes I do. I think I've started a few threads criticizing the system following the last World Cup :D starting with this I found in another forum last June:

Yesterday's embarrassment is a direct result of the youth system within the US.

Take a look at the background of these players. Most of them came from the broken club system and played in the broken ODP system.

Project 2010 was an arrogant idea by a bunch of Americans that they could build a top team in 12 years (this is year 8). They decided to take nothing from the way the rest of the world (that kicks our a** every year) does it.

I said it before; I’ll say it again:

The NCS with its emphasis on State Cup encourages an emphasis on the team, not the club. It creates a need to build super teams, not develop players. It encourages coaches to win games not develop players. Just ask yourself, how many teams have that urgent parent meeting after losing in the state cup finals to ask, “what is wrong with the teamâ€￾? How many people post on forums like this implying the best team is determined at state cup weekend? How many tournaments base their selection criteria on state cup champions?

ODP is even more broken. It is primarily a money making scheme for most of the coaches after putting stars in the eyes of young players and parents. While many top players continue ODP and making the State/Regional or National pools is difficult and an honor. There are just as many talented players sitting at home that have had terrible experience with ODP or can’t afford it money or time wise. ODP is for middle to upper class suburban families that can afford such things. Much the way the super teams are.
        Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Take a look at the background of these players. Most of them came from the broken club system and played in the broken ODP system.

Project 2010 was an arrogant idea by a bunch of Americans that they could build a top team in 12 years (this is year 8). They decided to take nothing from the way the rest of the world (that kicks our a** every year) does it.

The NCS with its emphasis on State Cup encourages an emphasis on the team, not the club. It creates a need to build super teams, not develop players. It encourages coaches to win games not develop players. Just ask yourself, how many teams have that urgent parent meeting after losing in the state cup finals to ask, “what is wrong with the teamâ€￾? How many people post on forums like this implying the best team is determined at state cup weekend? How many tournaments base their selection criteria on state cup champions?

ODP is even more broken. It is primarily a money making scheme for most of the coaches after putting stars in the eyes of young players and parents. While many top players continue ODP and making the State/Regional or National pools is difficult and an honor. There are just as many talented players sitting at home that have had terrible experience with ODP or can’t afford it money or time wise. ODP is for middle to upper class suburban families that can afford such things. Much the way the super teams are.
          Well said. I agree completely. The selection needs to be done like they do in the rest of the world. Talents can be found anywhere and if he/she is good enough he/she should make the team. Just an example :Rivaldo, the ex-Brazilian superstar, was found when he was 16 playing soccer in the beach of Rio de Janeiro- Homeless and illiterate. The rest you know. How many talents there are out there in our country just ignored because they don't have no means ($) to follow "the path" to become a US superstar. We have to think outside of the "box"...I mean "ODP". Otherwise we will face again and again teams with a lot Rivaldos, and we know the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

Well said. I agree completely. The selection needs to be done like they do in the rest of the world. Talents can be found anywhere and if he/she is good enough he/she should make the team. Just an example :Rivaldo, the ex-Brazilian superstar, was found when he was 16 playing soccer in the beach of Rio de Janeiro- Homeless and illiterate. The rest you know. How many talents there are out there in our country just ignored because they don't have no means ($) to follow "the path" to become a US superstar. We have to think outside of the "box"...I mean "ODP". Otherwise we will face again and again teams with a lot Rivaldos, and we know the outcome.
            This was from Insider

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X