Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is girls HS poor? (continuation of girls HS soccer thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the other thread there is talk about some school having a bunch of premier players but still put out poor results in the much different HS game. Does anyone know why?

If there are 5 or 6 premier players from the same club, why arent they playing their club style with chemistry and killing teams?

If club coaches are actually coaching some HS teams and those teams have talent, why arent they standing out? Why arent they playing the right way?

Or, are there a lot of cases where it actually does happen despite what was discussed in the high school thread?

As a parent who wants their child to enjoy what HS has to offer while playing at the level they play at the rest of the year, the question is: With so many girls playing yr round club, why isnt that translating to good soccer in CT HSs? Why can't it be like a d2 club season for them?

In the other thread there is talk about some school having a bunch of premier players but still put out poor results in the much different HS game. Does anyone know why?

If there are 5 or 6 premier players from the same club, why arent they playing their club style with chemistry and killing teams?

If club coaches are actually coaching some HS teams and those teams have talent, why arent they standing out? Why arent they playing the right way?

Or, are there a lot of cases where it actually does happen despite what was discussed in the high school thread?

As a parent who wants their child to enjoy what HS has to offer while playing at the level they play at the rest of the year, the question is: With so many girls playing yr round club, why isnt that translating to good soccer in CT HSs? Why can't it be like a d2 club season for them?

Comment

You have to keep in mind that in high school you are playing u18...those 5-6 players are probably mostly freshman and soph. You must also keep in mind field conditions of most HS, that fact that club players don't experience the crowds that they experience in HS ball (student body, facility members, community member with no children on either team in attendance) which does rattle some of them and lastly club is pay to play now. Clubs have roster spots to fill. When I grew up and you played premier your chances of playing DI was very high...now most premier players are DII or DIII players and some don't play soccer in college because their grades will provide a higher education for their future.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

The post was talkng about Manchester. Although they have some really skilled premier players most of them are Sophmores and Freshman. Two of their three losses were to Glastonbury and SW, which is expected. The other loss was 0-1 to Bristol Central but Manchester outshot them 24-8. My daughter's team played them and they give you a good game the first half but tend to run out of steam the second half. Not a lot coming off the bench. Goalie does a good job but my guess is she doesn't play year round.

I still see some good HS soccer. Check out the South Windsor v. Glastonbury game on 10-28-11. Should be the battle for conference champs

Comment

Some HS coaches don't have a clue,and habits come back even for the better club players.

Comment

My theory is that, in order to play premier quality soccer, you need premier quality players throughout both opposing teams. Pretty rare for both teams to be able to field those types of players at all positions. If each team, in addition to some premier players, fields some big, fast, aggressive, non-premier players, the quality of play drops precipitously.

Comment

When I grew up and you played premier your chances of playing DI was very high...now most premier players are DII or DIII players and some don't play soccer in college because their grades will provide a higher education for their future.
              Sure, but what does that mean? I suspect the current quality of DII and DIII soccer is probably pretty close to the quality of DI soccer when you grew up. Much, much more depth of talent now in women's soccer than 10 or 20 years ago -- in large part because there are a lot more premier clubs/teams out there.

Comment

Sure, but what does that mean? I suspect the current quality of DII and DIII soccer is probably pretty close to the quality of DI soccer when you grew up. Much, much more depth of talent now in women's soccer than 10 or 20 years ago -- in large part because there are a lot more premier clubs/teams out there.
                What school(s) are you referring to that have quality players but don't play good soccer or get good results?

Comment

My theory is that, in order to play premier quality soccer, you need premier quality players throughout both opposing teams. Pretty rare for both teams to be able to field those types of players at all positions. If each team, in addition to some premier players, fields some big, fast, aggressive, non-premier players, the quality of play drops precipitously.
                  I agree with this.

Comment

What school(s) are you referring to that have quality players but don't play good soccer or get good results?
                    In my opinion, based on their rosters and history, the following girls teams should be playing better soccer: Conard, Manchester, RHAM, Lyman/Lebanon, Staples, Bacon Academy, Mercy and Tolland.

Doesn't mean they wont have good seasons but I expected more from these teams.

Comment

In my opinion, based on their rosters and history, the following girls teams should be playing better soccer: Conard, Manchester, RHAM, Lyman/Lebanon, Staples, Bacon Academy, Mercy and Tolland.

I agree with each and every one of these. I have seen many of them play. The only one I am not sure about is Mercy. I don't think they are getting the players they used to get.

Similar to college, a lot of coaches are going to do whatever they can to WIN games. That and a lot of coaches actually think they are playing good soccer is the biggest problem. I'm sure if you asked these coaches they would say "yeah we really play great possession".

Who are the schools that you think actually do try to play good soccer?

Comment

All the teams you listed share one thing, they are inconsistent. Yes all have club players but are they really that good? From my observations over time, the very best club players, can, and do affect their HS teams performance, in fact they can carry their team far in league and playoffs. These are kids who have the talent to start at the D1 level, they are not just "premier players" . Frankly, the kids who play club ball in the lower levels of premier don't really make the difference, nice enough players when on their U15-17 teams but they aren't game changers. I have seen too many of them "hide" in a HS game though.

Comment

I agree with each and every one of these. I have seen many of them play. The only one I am not sure about is Mercy. I don't think they are getting the players they used to get.

Similar to college, a lot of coaches are going to do whatever they can to WIN games. That and a lot of coaches actually think they are playing good soccer is the biggest problem. I'm sure if you asked these coaches they would say "yeah we really play great possession".

Who are the schools that you think actually do try to play good soccer?

I like Glastonbury, South Windsor, Suffield and NW Catholic. Despite their record, Simsbury plays good soccer.

I like to see the ball being brought up the field with short passes and controlled by the midfielders.

What I hate:

Too often I see the defensive line striking the ball over the Mids trying to catch a forward with the long ball.

Many times the forwards just run up the field in a straight line. There are no diagonal runs or any interest in working with the Mids to bring the ball up the field with numbers. They find themselves alone taking on 2-3 defenders.

Comment

All the teams you listed share one thing, they are inconsistent. Yes all have club players but are they really that good? From my observations over time, the very best club players, can, and do affect their HS teams performance, in fact they can carry their team far in league and playoffs. These are kids who have the talent to start at the D1 level, they are not just "premier players" . Frankly, the kids who play club ball in the lower levels of premier don't really make the difference, nice enough players when on their U15-17 teams but they aren't game changers. I have seen too many of them "hide" in a HS game though.

All of these teams have girls that are on the best premier clubs and who will play in College. Some of them are still too young to be the "game changer" as indicated in your post but will be when they're juniors and seniors. Kids just dont undertstand their roles and/or the coaches are ok with kick and run soccer.

Comment

All of these teams have girls that are on the best premier clubs and who will play in College. Some of them are still too young to be the "game changer" as indicated in your post but will be when they're juniors and seniors. Kids just dont undertstand their roles and/or the coaches are ok with kick and run soccer.
                              I think you're dead on your assessment. My daughter's HS coach loves 'boot and run' or pass it to "XXXX" (one of his favorites who's a forward and she'll score. The other thing that drives me crazy is the girls (midfielders) taking a shot on goal from 40 yards out, instead of moving the ball up. Players dribble too much with the ball, only to be stripped of the ball (would like to see 2-3 touches, then a pass). Another pet peeve is players who kick the ball out for a corner...why can't you either kick it for a throw in or pass back to your keeper?

A team may have 5-6 premier players, but if the other girls play terrible soccer, then those premier players are playing with a big handicap.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X