Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed

My 6 year old is obsessed with soccer. We bought him his first ball soon after he learned to walk. At age 2 he was dribbling the ball and doing step overs. By age 4 he was able to juggle 30-40 times without the ball hitting the ground. Now at age 6 he practices after school 2-3 hours and we have to drag him inside to eat dinner and do his homework. He also watches about 10 EPL games per week. It is soccer 24/7 with him. He has been playing on a U8 coed town team but is so far ahead of the other players that he is getting frustrated. He can pretty much score at will and hates passing the ball because the other players just don't know what to do with it. He'll be screaming ""switch fields" and the other players will stop for a second and then run to the field next to them.

My quesion is this. Should we have him play up on U10 travel? I know the coach and he would take him onto the team. He is 3-7 and 55 lbs so we have some concerns about his size but skillwise he is better than most U12's that I have seen.

[QUOTE=Unregistered;630722]My 6 year old is obsessed with soccer. We bought him his first ball soon after he learned to walk. At age 2 he was dribbling the ball and doing step overs. By age 4 he was able to juggle 30-40 times without the ball hitting the ground. Now at age 6 he practices after school 2-3 hours and we have to drag him inside to eat dinner and do his homework. He also watches about 10 EPL games per week. It is soccer 24/7 with him. He has been playing on a U8 coed town team but is so far ahead of the other players that he is getting frustrated. He can pretty much score at will and hates passing the ball because the other players just don't know what to do with it. He'll be screaming ""switch fields" and the other players will stop for a second and then run to the field next to them.

My quesion is this. Should we have him play up on U10 travel? I know the coach and he would take him onto the team. He is 3-7 and 55 lbs so we have some concerns about his size but skillwise he is better than most U12's that I have

You should try stand up comedy! The switch fields line is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My 6 year old is obsessed with soccer. We bought him his first ball soon after he learned to walk. At age 2 he was dribbling the ball and doing step overs. By age 4 he was able to juggle 30-40 times without the ball hitting the ground. Now at age 6 he practices after school 2-3 hours and we have to drag him inside to eat dinner and do his homework. He also watches about 10 EPL games per week. It is soccer 24/7 with him. He has been playing on a U8 coed town team but is so far ahead of the other players that he is getting frustrated. He can pretty much score at will and hates passing the ball because the other players just don't know what to do with it. He'll be screaming ""switch fields" and the other players will stop for a second and then run to the field next to them.

My quesion is this. Should we have him play up on U10 travel? I know the coach and he would take him onto the team. He is 3-7 and 55 lbs so we have some concerns about his size but skillwise he is better than most U12's that I have seen.
      If you are at all close to NH, send him to play with their Nashua/Bedford clubs. They are far more advanced at that age than anything in MA. Playing up too far can be problematic, and the social aspects as well.

Comment

First, call the New England Revolution and get a tryout scheduled for this littel wonder lad.

Next, get yourself a good therapist.

Comment

This is not even worth responding to....

I can't beleive I responded to this...

Comment

3'7" 55 lbs. I'm surprised he can see his toes never mind juggle a ball. Are you sure he's not saying "more meals" and you're just hearing "switch fields".

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;630724]

My quesion is this. Should we have him play up on U10 travel? I know the coach and he would take him onto the team. He is 3-7 and 55 lbs so we have some concerns about his size but skillwise he is better than most U12's that I have

You should try stand up comedy! The switch fields line is priceless.
              Are you sure you're hearing him correctly? He may be tyring to get you to buy him a happy meal by screaming "switch meals!"

Comment

3'7" 55 lbs. I'm surprised he can see his toes never mind juggle a ball. Are you sure he's not saying "more meals" and you're just hearing "switch fields".
                3'7" and 55lbs? You don't have a soccer PLAYER, you have a soccer BALL.

Comment

3'7" and 55lbs? You don't have a soccer PLAYER, you have a soccer BALL.
                  What the heck are you talking about? The kid is just about average, maybe a kittle above, for his weight and height according to the growth charts.

Comment

mighty mouse

Forget the club stuff - Build him a 5 foot by 6 foot wall in the back yard and tell him that for every half-hour he spends outside playing he needs to spend a half-hour reading or doing his homework. Trust me dude, it's a no miss formula. If nothing else you will keep him from the video games and TV. When he is ten do your homework and find him a good club coach/team.

Comment

If you get lucky, Norwell Soccer Club will come calling. They may even offer to cover some of the cost to play.

Comment

Make sure he can pass from touch line to touch line on a full size field....that's REALLY important if you ask me.

Comment

This is the best thread on here in awhile! LOL!

Comment

Most of the above guys commenting are just jealous. They are soccer junkies that wanted their own prodigy, but genetics isn't quite so straight forward. Dealing with an abnormal child, whether up or down, can be difficult. Good luck with that.

Comment

Most of the above guys commenting are just jealous. They are soccer junkies that wanted their own prodigy, but genetics isn't quite so straight forward. Dealing with an abnormal child, whether up or down, can be difficult. Good luck with that.
                              Oh spare me. The OP is a total joke. I think my kid may have posted it during study hall. What a bunch of cows you all are on this forum. Someone blatantly goofs on you and you still don't get it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X