Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Costs

Ok I'm new to the higher level soccer but seriously what is everyone paying for a year on soccer with some of thee club teams. I'm hearing 7k is about right for a ECNL team? ODP around $1700 total and more if your child is regional or goes overseas for the national game. Several clubs are charging $2400 a season and that is before you buy uniforms, required tournament fee's and the likes.

Is it just me or has soccer become about the money and not about the game. I've played for a long time and back home it cost very little because it wasn't about bling and instead it was find a ball and a net and that is all that was needed. We'd play on dirt, gravel, tar, grass or whatever.

I was checking out some teams this summer and came to realization that the coaches wanted my money and not my child. How dare I ask about playing time or skills that would be taught. I got more pay up and shut up attitudes that i wanted to explain to the coach that no matter what he preached the kdis were a 4 out 10 at best compared to the rest of the world. maybe there was a 6 somewhere but I doubt it.

SO why is it so expensive? Can anyone tell me why? Do these coaches get all the money? 16 players x $2400. or is that why they have 3 or 4 teams?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok I'm new to the higher level soccer but seriously what is everyone paying for a year on soccer with some of thee club teams. I'm hearing 7k is about right for a ECNL team? ODP around $1700 total and more if your child is regional or goes overseas for the national game. Several clubs are charging $2400 a season and that is before you buy uniforms, required tournament fee's and the likes.

Is it just me or has soccer become about the money and not about the game. I've played for a long time and back home it cost very little because it wasn't about bling and instead it was find a ball and a net and that is all that was needed. We'd play on dirt, gravel, tar, grass or whatever.

I was checking out some teams this summer and came to realization that the coaches wanted my money and not my child. How dare I ask about playing time or skills that would be taught. I got more pay up and shut up attitudes that i wanted to explain to the coach that no matter what he preached the kdis were a 4 out 10 at best compared to the rest of the world. maybe there was a 6 somewhere but I doubt it.

SO why is it so expensive? Can anyone tell me why? Do these coaches get all the money? 16 players x $2400. or is that why they have 3 or 4 teams?

overhead costs are high (coach salaries, office space leases, web site maintenance/support, administrative costs etc...)

Comment

Inflation is an issue too, try checking out the costs of the leagues, tournaments, gas, dunkin donuts, etc.

Comment

Start with field rental at $100-150 per hour and you quickly see where the majority of the money goes.

Comment

Field space really is the major issue here. Those clubs with a facility (ex: NEFC) that they are closely related to have a huge advantage. The Boston metro area is expensive and crowded.

Comment

Start with field rental at $100-150 per hour and you quickly see where the majority of the money goes.
            Is this just at Lancaster? What about other fields they use? Aren't multiple teams sharing the costs? Maybe it's time to invest in fields.

Comment

Is this just at Lancaster? What about other fields they use? Aren't multiple teams sharing the costs? Maybe it's time to invest in fields.
              No these are typical field rental fees.

The problem is that if you build a field it will really only be used 4 hours a day during the week from M-F, 11 hours on weekends and only from April - June and Sept - Nov.

The summer months will have very little interest since a) its the off season and b) its too hot.

In most places the opportunity cost of money to develop and maintain a field is very high when compared with most other development.

Comment

No these are typical field rental fees.

The problem is that if you build a field it will really only be used 4 hours a day during the week from M-F, 11 hours on weekends and only from April - June and Sept - Nov.

The summer months will have very little interest since a) its the off season and b) its too hot.

In most places the opportunity cost of money to develop and maintain a field is very high when compared with most other development.
                Stars having teams playing all year round. They will need turf and lights.

Comment

Stars having teams playing all year round. They will need turf and lights.
                  Put the money in a math tutor you dumb azz

Comment

Put the money in a math tutor you dumb azz
                    I think this is the smartest thing said here. I your a parent that has money then go ahead and spend it on your kids. If your a parent that has little money save it and put it in the bank for college.

Comment

I think I got my answer as I'm the OP. So fields absorb about 6 players fee's at 2400. Assuming 1 game a week and 2 practices during the season. I assume each coach has 3 teams and get's about 10 of the fee's from the kids for each team (so 30 kids) and the rest goes to administrative and club costs. not to shabby

Now my point is, seems like a huge business and by creating all the teams and leagues is purely to drive more revenue. I just wish it was more organized and US Soccer and FIFA would regulate and sanction a certain path. NEP, ECNL, MAPLE, ODP, Regional, National what is the hierarchy?

Comment

"Inflation is an issue too". actually deflation is the issue everywhere except inflating government spending and inflating government regulations. So I guess you are half right, govenrment inflation is an issue. Soccer costs should not be going up.

Symptoms of Deflation

1.Falling Credit Marked-to-Market
                        2.Falling Treasury Yields
                        3.Falling Home Prices
                        4.Rising Corporate Bond Yields
                        5.Rising Dollar
                        6.Falling Commodity Prices
                        7.Falling Consumer Prices
                        8.Rising Unemployment
                        9.Negative GDP
                        10.Falling Stock Market
                        11.Spiking Base Money Supply
                        12.Banks Hoarding Cash
                        13.Rising Savings Rate
                        14.Purchasing Power of Gold Rises
                        15.Rising Number of Bank Failures

Comment

Your field rates are higher than that. Add in insurance, year round training, "coaches salary", it adds up but there are some who do gouge you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;630892]I think I got my answer as I'm the OP. So fields absorb about 6 players fee's at 2400. Assuming 1 game a week and 2 practices during the season. I assume each coach has 3 teams and get's about 10 of the fee's from the kids for each team (so 30 kids) and the rest goes to administrative and club costs. not to shabby

Now my point is, seems like a huge business and by creating all the teams and leagues is purely to drive more revenue. [QUOTE]

For all but a few clubs (Stars, Scorpions, NEFC?), the coach salaries you allude to are nowhere close to reality. The going rate in my neck of the woods for large clubs is $2000-$3000/year per team for coaches, and most coaches have only one team.

Comment

These costs are all so so confusing. Lets blow it all up, simplify everything, establish 9-9-9 and a balance budget amendemnt, repeal regulations, and get the youth soccer world and the US Economy growing again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X