Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAP started to get serious?

USSF recently publicly rated all the DAP clubs in various categories- this was done despite a lot of push-back from some DAP clubs. And there's the push to go to 10 month DAP which would take out the less serious DAP'ers (ie. those that are in DAP solely to help get into the D3 school of their choice )

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...ort-cards.html

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    USSF recently publicly rated all the DAP clubs in various categories- this was done despite a lot of push-back from some DAP clubs. And there's the push to go to 10 month DAP which would take out the less serious DAP'ers (ie. those that are in DAP solely to help get into the D3 school of their choice )

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...ort-cards.html
    Interesting and informative. Certainly the end result of DAP is not meant to be a feeding ground to lower D1 and D3 college soccer. Would work if less teams and more concentration of talent (say combine REvs, Bolts, Seacoast).

Comment

Interesting and informative. Certainly the end result of DAP is not meant to be a feeding ground to lower D1 and D3 college soccer. Would work if less teams and more concentration of talent (say combine REvs, Bolts, Seacoast).
      Agree that we need more talented players and combining revs, bolts and seacoast talent would solve it. One logistical issue would be where to set up a practice location within an hours drive for all players.

Comment

As I've said before, the unintended greatest beneficiary of DAP is the elite D3 college coach. In April 2010 the Haverford coach openly expressed his hope to recruit primarily DAP players and of course Haverford would be high on the lists of many very good to exceptional students who are very good soccer players. A tremendous windfall for the NESCACs and schools like Haverford. He had an email list of over 500 and a board in his office with 75-80 potential recruits, including 10-12 recognizable names from MA (and had successfully recruited 2 MA kids the prior year). Of course he left this summer. Don't know why after only a couple of seasons to take a prep school job. And Haverford I believe only has 3 frosh on roster this year and none from MA. Some other similar schools have as many as 25-30 frosh show up who are all good to very good players with thin shades of difference. Check out Wesleyan, Trinity, Union, Macalester, etc. It's rough out there especially if you think it is a cinch to play at these schools. This is where the bulk of the youth soccer action is and DAP will have to figure out where it stands in all this.

Comment

As I've said before, the unintended greatest beneficiary of DAP is the elite D3 college coach. In April 2010 the Haverford coach openly expressed his hope to recruit primarily DAP players and of course Haverford would be high on the lists of many very good to exceptional students who are very good soccer players. A tremendous windfall for the NESCACs and schools like Haverford. He had an email list of over 500 and a board in his office with 75-80 potential recruits, including 10-12 recognizable names from MA (and had successfully recruited 2 MA kids the prior year). Of course he left this summer. Don't know why after only a couple of seasons to take a prep school job. And Haverford I believe only has 3 frosh on roster this year and none from MA. Some other similar schools have as many as 25-30 frosh show up who are all good to very good players with thin shades of difference. Check out Wesleyan, Trinity, Union, Macalester, etc. It's rough out there especially if you think it is a cinch to play at these schools. This is where the bulk of the youth soccer action is and DAP will have to figure out where it stands in all this.
          Interesting.

Only one of the two players "he" successfully recruited from MA the previous years was DAP. The other was not. The former played in 12 and started 2 last season. The latter started all 16 games. Both have started all games this year.

Despite all the numbers on the board when you must have visited, the fact is that there are three freshman on the roster this season. Google tells me that two did not play DAP. Not sure about the other. One of the freshman has played in most games but never started. The other two seeing limited action.

That Haverford coach resigned just prior to the season. Wonder weather his recruiting year (3?!) had anything to do with it. Three players per year can't even keep your program running.

So I don't see the tremendous windfall for Haverford from DAP. At least not yet. The previous year, it looks like they got eight recruits and only the one mentioned earlier looks to be DAP Two of their non-DAP recruits started every game, including the aforementioned local player, both last year and this year.

I know some D3 coaches love DAP for recruiting. Get to see a lot of players in one spot and their recruiting budgets are low. Understandable. But many of those DAP kids hold out until they are sure the D1's are not calling. At that point many D3 schools competing for same players. I suspect the Haverford coach took a lot of disappointing phone calls and e-mails prior to the ED deadline.

Haverford has a disadvantage because they have no slots or tips and admission is by consensus of the admission committee. So they can't reach down and boost a kid just under the lower bar to admission with a tip.

During my googling, I found an informative series about how recruiting at Haverford differs from schools with tips. Very informative. It is not soccer specific but there is good info for D3 prospects.

http://bico-server.brynmawr.edu/spor...es-part-1.html

http://www.biconews.com/sports/haver...es-part-2.html

http://bico-server.brynmawr.edu/spor...es-part-3.html

Comment

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news...g-nations-best

Revs are making the grade, according to USSF.

Comment

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news...g-nations-best

Revs are making the grade, according to USSF.
              As a "fully funded" no cost MLS Club I would be shocked if they were not in the top 15 of the DAP as far as overall rankings (as all the MLS "fully funded" DAP teams are in the top 15 for these comprehensive rankings).

Comment

My impression was that Haverford had something similar to tips but not as reliable. Smaller school with less overall spots for admission.

I didn't say he got a lot of DAP kids but that was the direction he was hoping for. Curious as why he is no longer there. Also curious why only 3 frosh because many other similar schools were inundated. Maybe many more tried out who were not taken. My son ultimately did not apply although still one of my favorites. Incredibly impressive school. But he/we were not encouraged really by coach and academic environment somewhat intimidating. Son would not have gotten in without push from soccer, although he is playing at a very good D3.

Comment

My impression was that Haverford had something similar to tips but not as reliable. Smaller school with less overall spots for admission.

I didn't say he got a lot of DAP kids but that was the direction he was hoping for. Curious as why he is no longer there. Also curious why only 3 frosh because many other similar schools were inundated. Maybe many more tried out who were not taken. My son ultimately did not apply although still one of my favorites. Incredibly impressive school. But he/we were not encouraged really by coach and academic environment somewhat intimidating. Son would not have gotten in without push from soccer, although he is playing at a very good D3.
                  If you read the linked articles, it explains the impact of the coaches list and and the fact that they DO NOT have tips.

FWIW left the recruiting visit with the same feeling about the school but concluded that without being very high on coaches list, no chance for admission. And likewise, coach did not seem THAT enthusiastic.

New coach was former asst. at Amherst. Will be interesting to see next year but I suspect that this year will still mostly be old coach's recruits.

Comment

DAP is no guarantee of getting a roster spot, let alone playing time at any level of college soccer D1, D2, or D3. The best player in the particular college coaches opinion gets the roster spot and plays and he may not be a DAP player. Poster is correct that D3 New England college soccer is alot better/harder than most incoming freshmen can envision and not many get regular playing time whether they were a DAP on non-DAP player. Don't just assume you are going to walk right into playing time let alone a starting spot in D3 or you will be in for a rude awakening.

Comment

Would you take the D3 college talk to another thread? The purpose of this is to discuss DAP training evaluations. While I realize that is what you parents care about, D3 college soccer has little to do with the goals of DAP.

Comment

Would you take the D3 college talk to another thread? The purpose of this is to discuss DAP training evaluations. While I realize that is what you parents care about, D3 college soccer has little to do with the goals of DAP.
                        Sorry buddy. What are the goals of DAP in MA??? Clearly not pro or NT and college results abysmal, so please advise. People about to commit to 10 months would like to know.

Comment

I see a thread titled "DAP started to get serious". Someone mentioned D3 palying and DAP. I reponded.

can you skip a post you are not interested in or do you feel that your DAP purity is being polluted?

Do you think it would be relevant to DAP performance if I would post a list of all DAP players sitting on the bench at D3 colleges? I would think that speaks to their "performance."

How about all the U15/U16 DAP players who couldn't even make a college roster. IF they have the best training environment, why would the best players at U16 drop off the face of the earth? And what does that say about the DAP model?

Don't worry - I would never embarrass the kids.....but anyone who has been around for a while knows details of what I am saying.....

So why don't you just go chill out....alternatively, go start a DAP only board. Moderate it, enforce membership to DAP folks and all of you can just sit around and drone on

Comment

Sorry buddy. What are the goals of DAP in MA??? Clearly not pro or NT and college results abysmal, so please advise. People about to commit to 10 months would like to know.
                            There is a separate thread about the 10 month commitment. Take your D3 soccer discussion there. This is about evaluating the DAP clubs on something other then wins and losses. It's about time.

Comment

There is a separate thread about the 10 month commitment. Take your D3 soccer discussion there. This is about evaluating the DAP clubs on something other then wins and losses. It's about time.

Then start a thread "USSF evaluates DAP clubs" and make an initial post asking that discussion be limited to that.

Geez, when threads get going beyond a page, I usually start at most recent post. Also, learn how to create a title that is specific.

Do you always get so tied up in knots about something this unimportant in the big picture? Cause if this is relevant only to the people who might make pro soccer, why even bother with a thread? its of interest to 2 or 3 people in MA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X