Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Sought

I’ll preface this by saying that I expect to get usual answers that one would expect to see on the TS forum but I also hope to get some honest input and thoughts.

My daughter is 12 and on a U13 team. The team is a top level team and she is a very skilled player – when she wants to be. She has been good enough to make a top-level team since she began playing soccer at 9. Prior to that age, she primarily played 3v3 and 4v4. My daughter is a late bloomer and I am starting to see her surpassed by players that are ahead of her in terms of puberty. I don’t expect my daughter to reach this age until she is about 14 or 15. Her technical skill on the ball and her 1v1 skills are as good as anybody that is her age and better than some that are older than her as well. Her striking and passing could use a bit of work and this is an area that I am beginning to see her get passed up by her peers. She has a lot of passion for the game and really loves it but I honestly think that she is a much better distance runner and has a brighter future in that area than she does on the pitch. Without any training, aside for the running that she does at soccer training, she can run a mile in about 5:40 and can routinely win the women’s division of 5K road races. I think that with distance-running specific training that she would be really good. And only being in 7th grade, she has a few more years before entering HS. I also think that she could be a really good LAX or softball player. She has never been on an organized team in those sports but with what little time she has dabbled in them, you can tell that she would be very good in both of those sports.

I guess that deep down I would like to see my daughter involved in something that I think she will be very successful in when she is in HS. Looking at my older daughter and when she hit puberty, I do not think that my 12 year olds body will change so much that she will not be a good runner. She will probably max out at about 5’4” in height and probably 120 pounds with a muscular yet lean build. She needs to do what will make her the happiest and right now that is soccer. I don’t know how much persuasion I should try and use in an attempt to get her to change her mind. I think that in the long run she will find much more athletic success in XC and track. Sometimes I think she is spinning her wheels on the pitch. She is good but not outstanding and that is becoming evident as some girls are surpassing her as they are hitting puberty. Should I really expect her game to change for the better once she does hit puberty? Thanks in advance for any (serious) opinions on this.

Regardless of how she'll do, have her continue to play/focus on the sport she loves. Running will always be there. I know. I chose running over soccer in HS, wound up running in college (D2), with only modest success because I never really loved it.

If she's running 5:40 at the age of 12 without serious training, she has plenty of time to make her decision....

Comment

I agree with the last poster. Don't make her choose at this point. And really, she can do both - a girl on my daughter's high school soccer team is receiving a track scholarship. Let her do what she loves and it will all fall into place somehow.

Comment

Two problems with LAX and track. She may not ever have the size to do well in LAX, and if she loves team sports, which she does, she will never love running.

I have watched a friend of mine struggle throughout HS because her player will not switch from soccer to track, despite the fact that he is far more gifted as a runner than as a soccer player. Would he rather be a decorated track star or just another good member of a great team? Definitely the later he keeps telling everyone. And it's his life, he's now a senior, and he is fine with not playing a sport in college. He's loved being on this soccer team.

No reason not to encourage your player to at least try LAX, though if she turns you down, don't push it. Follow her lead and keep reminding yourself this is her childhood, not yours. You are there to support and encourage her as she follows her heart, not push and manipulate her towards some approximation of what you see as success. Good luck!

Comment

Keep a balance. Have her continue to play soccer at a level that will allow her to run and dabble in other sports. If, in a couple years she matures and is excelling at soccer, you will know it, and coaches from top clubs will be knocking at your door. If she has skill and speed, size is less of a factor. The leading scorers in the state are not very big kids.

Comment

I have the same situation with my daughter. She only wants to do soccer but when does track or basketball she absolutly is good at it. The advice i was given by a great ex-coach is to nudge her to try it but let her know that you are 100% ok with her not continuing it if her heart is not in it. You need to be her supporter no matter what and let her know you will always go with what makes her happy.

Comment

Why is it a problem if she is just "good" at something and loves it? Let her decide what she wants to do and you will all be happier unless this is about you having to have a stud athlete in the house?
              In short time it is over and you want a kid who found what they love to do and did it with all they had as opposed to having the next 5-6 years be a ******* contest between you and her as to what she is "gong" to do.

Comment

Agreed, no one is going pro in anything so let the kid play the sport she loves. Getting passed by is natural and progress is not linear, so if she loves the game she will adjust her play as needed or will grow physically as a player. Agree with other posts that getting a kid to embrace an individual sport vs. a team sport is not going to work unless the kid is oriented that way to begin with. Individual sports are either overly competitive without much of a team nature or very relaxed and casual. My sense is that kids that are team sport oriented will not feel the individual sport is too rewarding

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Why is it a problem if she is just "good" at something and loves it? Let her decide what she wants to do and you will all be happier unless this is about you having to have a stud athlete in the house?
                  In short time it is over and you want a kid who found what they love to do and did it with all they had as opposed to having the next 5-6 years be a ******* contest between you and her as to what she is "gong" to do.
                  meant "going" not "gong"

Comment

Track and field scholarships to good academic schools are a much easier path, but SHE has to want to do it and e ready to work hard at it.

Comment

Track and field scholarships to good academic schools are a much easier path, but SHE has to want to do it and e ready to work hard at it.
                      Please tell me you did not mean to mention college scholarships!!! The kid is 12 for goodness sakes. Let her go be a kid, doing what she loves and trying as much as a parent can, to keep her well rounded both in sports and the other areas of her life.

As it see it, this is the biggest problem with club sports. They require the parent to pay thousands of $$ to participate and then require the kid to do it year round. When the kid says "maybe I'd like to play softball or LAX in the spring, there is too much pressure to stay with soccer because the parent has already paid.

We go through this every year when we refuse to sign-up for the spring session because she also loves softball. The coach and club say "then she kid can't play next fall" but so far, come fall, our kid is still on the team. At age 12, 13, 14 a kid just shouldn't have to choose.

Comment

I agree, unless the kid has the desire to get to the highest level in that sport. Then early specialization is absolutely needed.

Comment

I’ll preface this by saying that I expect to get usual answers that one would expect to see on the TS forum but I also hope to get some honest input and thoughts.

My daughter is 12 and on a U13 team. The team is a top level team and she is a very skilled player – when she wants to be. She has been good enough to make a top-level team since she began playing soccer at 9. Prior to that age, she primarily played 3v3 and 4v4. My daughter is a late bloomer and I am starting to see her surpassed by players that are ahead of her in terms of puberty. I don’t expect my daughter to reach this age until she is about 14 or 15. Her technical skill on the ball and her 1v1 skills are as good as anybody that is her age and better than some that are older than her as well. Her striking and passing could use a bit of work and this is an area that I am beginning to see her get passed up by her peers. She has a lot of passion for the game and really loves it but I honestly think that she is a much better distance runner and has a brighter future in that area than she does on the pitch. Without any training, aside for the running that she does at soccer training, she can run a mile in about 5:40 and can routinely win the women’s division of 5K road races. I think that with distance-running specific training that she would be really good. And only being in 7th grade, she has a few more years before entering HS. I also think that she could be a really good LAX or softball player. She has never been on an organized team in those sports but with what little time she has dabbled in them, you can tell that she would be very good in both of those sports.

I guess that deep down I would like to see my daughter involved in something that I think she will be very successful in when she is in HS. Looking at my older daughter and when she hit puberty, I do not think that my 12 year olds body will change so much that she will not be a good runner. She will probably max out at about 5’4” in height and probably 120 pounds with a muscular yet lean build. She needs to do what will make her the happiest and right now that is soccer. I don’t know how much persuasion I should try and use in an attempt to get her to change her mind. I think that in the long run she will find much more athletic success in XC and track. Sometimes I think she is spinning her wheels on the pitch. She is good but not outstanding and that is becoming evident as some girls are surpassing her as they are hitting puberty. Should I really expect her game to change for the better once she does hit puberty? Thanks in advance for any (serious) opinions on this.

Only one answer that matters. What does she WANT to do?

Comment

I agree, unless the kid has the desire to get to the highest level in that sport. Then early specialization is absolutely needed.
                            Needed by the kid or by the coach?

I disagree - have a kid who is multi-talented and may persue playing 2 in college (D3). A lot of the NESCAC kids do this - know of one kid who does 3 at a NESCAC. Good girl athletes are still somewhat rare - mine could probably letter at her school (med sized) in 5 Varsity sports.

By HS if you want to stand a chance at being recruited by the highest level college teams, then maybe you have to specialize - but again that's more about meeting the demands of the high level club team and MIAA conflicts than anything else. One of the BC starters played high level club hockey and Stars soccer well into HS. Word was that she could have played D1 hockey too (all her club hockey teammates are doing so). For D1 you do have to choose 1 or the other at some point, but otherwise not so much.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X