Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What traits are sought to play in various positions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What traits are sought to play in various positions?

Relatively new to having children playing soccer beyond town level. Was wondering if anyone could educate me as to what skills\traits coaches look for in players when considering a player for a given position.

Thanks

This may be the wrong place to get this answer. Most of us are parents and although we will pretend we know everything- we don't.

Ask a good coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This may be the wrong place to get this answer. Most of us are parents and although we will pretend we know everything- we don't.

Ask a good coach.
      She/he may be better off with a parent.Looking for a good coach maybe tougher than you think.

Comment

Relatively new to having children playing soccer beyond town level. Was wondering if anyone could educate me as to what skills\traits coaches look for in players when considering a player for a given position.

Thanks
        Honestly, they look for glassy eyed parents with low self-esteem that drive Range Rovers or Porsches. It's all about the Benjamins.....

Comment

Thanks
          Forwards - speed + 1v1 skill
          Midfield - skill passing/receiving
          Defenders - size

Comment

Honestly, they look for glassy eyed parents with low self-esteem that drive Range Rovers or Porsches. It's all about the Benjamins.....
            Since I'm suffering from a dearth of Benjamins I guess I better bail on soccer and spend my energy sussing out the relative merits of having my kids join the Bloods or the Crypts.

Comment

Forwards - speed + 1v1 skill
              Midfield - skill passing/receiving
              Defenders - size
              This would result in players with speed and 1v1 skill going up against kids with size. Is that a winning strategy?

Comment

Thanks
                http://www.ultimatesoccercoaching.co...cer-defenders/

Use this as a rough guide for thinking about things.

At the youngest ages, kids should play a variety of positions.

Comment

This would result in players with speed and 1v1 skill going up against kids with size. Is that a winning strategy?
                  Speed and 1v1 will serve any plyer well - regardless of where they play. I'll take technical skill + speed any day over size. Great if a player also has size but not all do.

Comment

Striker – Relentless focus on scoring, speed, foot skills. The ability to use a teammate rather than trying to go through 2 defenders will set them apart from the field

Mid – Passing skills, field awareness and the ability to stay in position are must have’s.

Defenders – Intelligence, positioning skills, size. You don’t need to be as fast as the strikers to succeed but you have to be smart enough to work in tandem with your back line and goalie to shut down an elite striker.

Comment

How does the playing formation affect the desired traits?

Comment

Google this topic and you will find many countries and coaches feel innate personality traits dictate position as much or more so than physical attributes. (Understanding there's a minimum needed at each level.) In the most simplistic explanation, (the analysis is much more detailed and nuanced.) If your child is careful, covers for others and doesn't like to mess up they are suited for a defending role. If your child is outgoing, aggressive, and thrives on taking chances, they will be likely to succeed as an attacking player. Underlying all is the need for a work ethic. No amount of "personality" can compensate if the player doesn't have their feet on the ball enough.

Young ages kids should play everywhere and focus on gaining technique and skill.

Comment

How does the playing formation affect the desired traits?
                          The basic traits are the same. Obviously some formations are going to place a greater priority on overall speed at positions where it might not otherwise be of critical importance.

My daughter is decently skilled but very slow. In her U11/U12 years playing 8v8 her coach played a 2-3-2 and would use the fastest girls on the team as defenders. She played mostly striker and scored her fair share as she has a strong foot and is very physical. When she moved up to U13 last year she became a stopper. This year with a flat 4 she's a defensive midfielder. She sees the field well and is good at finding opportunities to build attacks. Sadly, her speed/weight has held her back at every step along the way.

Comment

The best athletes on the soccer pitch are the keepers, hands down. In today's game they need both exceptional hands and exceptional feet. Good ones have great reflexes and explosiveness. The thing about this position is don't even think about it if your child is destined to be short.

Comment

Does this vary at all between boys and girls? I think speed and fire up front, brains in the middle, size, smarts and aggression in the back, and skill and endurance everywhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X