Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day 2012 at Lancaster

Just heard of an email from JD to teams that played in Stars Cup this year stating the Stars will NOT be using Lancaster for Stars Cup 2012.

This is a shock because Lancaster has by far the best tournament location in the North East.

Anyone know what is going on here? Big loss for Stars in my opinion.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just heard of an email from JD to teams that played in Stars Cup this year stating the Stars will NOT be using Lancaster for Stars Cup 2012.

This is a shock because Lancaster has by far the best tournament location in the North East.

Long story short, MYSA increased field rental rates substantially.

Comment

Long story short, MYSA increased field rental rates substantially.
      Quality costs!

My guess is that Stars could not make big bucks with the new price structure, so they will use inferior sites for their "top quality" tournament in the interest of making money. Money always comes before soccer at Stars.

We will be going to Lancaster.

Any idea who will run it?

Comment

Quality costs!

My guess is that Stars could not make big bucks with the new price structure, so they will use inferior sites for their "top quality" tournament in the interest of making money. Money always comes before soccer at Stars.

Here is NEFC's opening to swoop in.

Comment

Quality costs!

What are you going to do at Lancaster? If Stars doesn't hold their tournament, then you will sit there juggling a ball. Maybe they will open the overpriced concessions for you.

Comment

MYSA is a total pain in the ***. Their fees are outrageous. Why pay them if you can find another location? It really isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

MYSA is a total pain in the ***. Their fees are outrageous. Why pay them if you can find another location? It really isn't that big of a deal.
              I agree with your assessment of MYSA and the cost of fields, but where is there another 16 field location near Boston?

I might be missing something here, but the Stars Cup will now be a series of numerous satellite sites miles apart, hardly what is a top-end tournament logistics-wise.

Big loss for Stars.

Comment

I agree with your assessment of MYSA and the cost of fields, but where is there another 16 field location near Boston?

I might be missing something here, but the Stars Cup will now be a series of numerous satellite sites miles apart, hardly what is a top-end tournament logistics-wise.

Big loss for Stars.
                Yes and no. They can make it a smaller tournament with more top quality teams instead of a big, big tournament. More quality teams, more quality officials (no more "Come on..............penalty!!!!!!" from spectators.)

Comment

we heard they were putting in lights in the next two weeks. they have to get their money back somehow...

Comment

Must of gone up by an awful lot. If they charged each team an extra 50.00 which isn't that bad it would bring another 8700.00 with the number of teams there this year. I'm sure most clubs wouldn't mind paying some extra for the convenience of having all of their teams in the same location.

Comment

Must of gone up by an awful lot. If they charged each team an extra 50.00 which isn't that bad it would bring another 8700.00 with the number of teams there this year. I'm sure most clubs wouldn't mind paying some extra for the convenience of having all of their teams in the same location.
                      I think MYSA at least doubled the field rates (minimum of an extra $80 hour). Now times that by 16 fields times 12 hours for Saturday and Sunday. You are looking at an extra $30,000 alone there. That is on the minimum end.

Comment

Field costs are field costs. They get passed on to the consumer anyways. The only question is whether what MYSA is charging is relative to what the going rate is. Anyone know what Thayer and Forekicks charge for their turf and how that relates to what MYSA charges? Not saying that MYSA isn't being greedy but if they are charging the going rate then you have to look at the Stars as maybe wanting to take too much of a profit.

Comment

Field costs are field costs. They get passed on to the consumer anyways. The only question is whether what MYSA is charging is relative to what the going rate is. Anyone know what Thayer and Forekicks charge for their turf and how that relates to what MYSA charges? Not saying that MYSA isn't being greedy but if they are charging the going rate then you have to look at the Stars as maybe wanting to take too much of a profit.
                          I hear it was more than field rates. It was concessions and hotels. Stars wanted way too much and MYSA said no. MYSA has a duty to be fair with all. They opened up the bidding and Stars did not want to pay their fair share.

Our club looked hard at it but decided we could not do it. Good luck to the winning bidder. This is a great opportunity for a club that is creative.

Our club will be happy to play at Lancaster next Labor Day weekend. We are hopefully happy that this will not be an ECNL managed tournament, rather a tournament where all can play based on their team's ranking.

Comment

With all bias and opinions aside, you must consider the possibility that teams attend the tournament because it's the Stars and the high level of teams they attract.

Yes, not being at Lancaster is probably a blow for Stars but I'm sure that the reasons for the switch are justified.

I would bet that nearly all the clubs who attended will still participate in the Stars Cup in 2012 regardless of where they choose to hold it.

Comment

With all bias and opinions aside, you must consider the possibility that teams attend the tournament because it's the Stars and the high level of teams they attract.

maybe on the girls side but definitely not on the boys side.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X