Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Conditions Plymouth South middle School

When does a referee decide to cancel or postpone a game due to hazardous field conditions? We played there recently and the field is horrendous. Potholes, missing grass, overall mess. A dangerous situation for players. Possibly worst field in Maple right now.

Stingray's home field.

That's SS Stingrays home field.

Comment

Rocks!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      When does a referee decide to cancel or postpone a game due to hazardous field conditions? We played there recently and the field is horrendous. Potholes, missing grass, overall mess. A dangerous situation for players. Possibly worst field in Maple right now.
      My main issue with the field is all the rocks. Someone could seriously get hurt by twisting an ankle or sliding into one. I would just think the refs/coaches would do a once over and get those off the field.

Comment

My main issue with the field is all the rocks. Someone could seriously get hurt by twisting an ankle or sliding into one. I would just think the refs/coaches would do a once over and get those off the field.
        Played there a few weeks ago. We would have been better off playing in the parking lot. Not a fun experience. Not sure if referees are suppose to make that call. I think the person responsible for the field are suppose to man up and be responsible for the field.

Comment

Played there a few weeks ago. We would have been better off playing in the parking lot. Not a fun experience. Not sure if referees are suppose to make that call. I think the person responsible for the field are suppose to man up and be responsible for the field.
          Just for discussion, if by "person" someone means the person or persons at a club that ultimately decide on which home field to use, then, yes, I agree with that. If instead it is to mean the town or private school, then no, because that entity, to use but just one example, may have no interest (nor the funds) in maintaining a good quality field (for their own use, or private use, such as a club soccer team on Sundays), . In the latter scenario, the head of the club makes a conscious decision to use a field; it is that person, who while I understand may not have a lot or any other options, who has to in good conscience decide if he wants to proceed and rent that field knowing full well that it is of poor quality.

There is no question that fields, especially decent ones, are tough to secure: towns are increasingly being protective of their grass fields and limiting outside use, and when turf fields may have Sunday availability, they are offered up at prohibitive rates (MYSA certainly doesn't help the cause, but that is another thread in of itself). So I definitely feel for the clubs that struggle to get good fields, especially when the club is comprised of families with limited means and keeping player fees (very) low is not only a desire, but a necessity. THAT SAID, there is still a "moral" obligation to make sure that your team secures fields that are at least half-way decent. Not to sound arrogant, but at the club level, the players deserve it, and the game deserves it. Otherwise it is no longer soccer...but follow (and hope to kick) the bouncing ball. "Decent", is of course, in the eye of the beholder, but I would think that more than 95% of us would recognize and agree on a whether a particular field meets the standard.

Why do I feel so strongly about this? Because, despite my appreciation of the challenges, keep in mind that clubs that might find themselves between a rock and a hard place do have options: for example, they could ask to play all their games away, or they could do what is necessary to charge players enough to cover the fields. Using maple as an example, you can have it so that you play no more than 4 home games in the fall and 3 in the spring, so even at a relatively high $200 a pop, you are talking ~$100 per player for the year. A LOT of money to some? Yes, maybe, but it is a part of the price of "membership", really no different than uniforms, cleats, league registration, etc.

PS: My team played its game last week on a field that was 42 yards across (touch line to touch line). I'm not kidding. Do the math to figure out the width of a just what a PK area is supposed to be---here's a hint: 18 + 18 + 8 = 44. Yet the entire field itelf was only 42 yards across. Are you kidding me? Yet, the host club's official(s) reserved this field for our maple game. Not right...

Comment

They don't even use Plymouth So Middle School for...

town games. It's nowhere to be found on the Plymouth Youth Soccer Association website...anywhere. Not even used as a practice field. Obviously the town knows how crappy it is, not sure why the club doesn't.

Not sure Maple has the resources to check out every field, but maybe they could require clubs to at least take a picture of the field before the start of the season and submit with a date stamp. Too bad. It was a long ass drive for such a crappy field. Not that we expected pristine grass. Everyplace has its issues. We did expect a safe playing surface. Shame on Stingrays.

Comment

town games. It's nowhere to be found on the Plymouth Youth Soccer Association website...anywhere. Not even used as a practice field. Obviously the town knows how crappy it is, not sure why the club doesn't.

Not sure Maple has the resources to check out every field, but maybe they could require clubs to at least take a picture of the field before the start of the season and submit with a date stamp. Too bad. It was a long ass drive for such a crappy field. Not that we expected pristine grass. Everyplace has its issues. We did expect a safe playing surface. Shame on Stingrays.
              As crappy as the Scorpions fields at that Braintree Middle school. Worst we have ever played!

Comment

Dear Maple

Attached is a picture of our soccer field. Thank you

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~skawata1/...soccerhill.jpg

I can see Club managers taking pictures of the nicer fields and passing it off as theirs

Comment

That's SS Stingrays home field.
                  What about the field next to their facility?

Comment

That's hysterical.

Dear Maple

Attached is a picture of our soccer field. Thank you

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~skawata1/...soccerhill.jpg

I can see Club managers taking pictures of the nicer fields and passing it off as theirs
                    Hahahaha!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X