Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Refs

Here we go again......Ref made a bogus non-call that lead to a goal. Other Ref who was 350 lbs. and moved like drunk buffalo spent the entire game talking to parents of the opposing team and waited by the opposing team bus to shake the coaches hand! I suggested that he at least attempt to appear impartial and he got upset. I questioned his professionalism and preparation and....he got upset. I was just trying to help.

hahahaaaa...i'm glad your kid's team lost. I hope the ref fixed the game too !

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Here we go again......Ref made a bogus non-call that lead to a goal. Other Ref who was 350 lbs. and moved like drunk buffalo spent the entire game talking to parents of the opposing team and waited by the opposing team bus to shake the coaches hand! I suggested that he at least attempt to appear impartial and he got upset. I questioned his professionalism and preparation and....he got upset. I was just trying to help.
      What school was this?

Comment

Here another story, foul in box on offensive player but goal was scored anyways. Ref called back the goal and gave a pk?! Isn't the first goal allowed to stay because it was advantage?? I'm just a Momma but I think I know this call....seems easy to me....

Comment

Here another story, foul in box on offensive player but goal was scored anyways. Ref called back the goal and gave a pk?! Isn't the first goal allowed to stay because it was advantage?? I'm just a Momma but I think I know this call....seems easy to me....
          Get back in the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs.

Yours Truly,
          350 lb Ref.

Comment

As mentioned in the Girls High School thread, ref in Chelmsford-Peabody game Thursday night gave Chelmsford a goal on a ball that landed in netting on top of goal & rolled behind goal. Keeper had to go behind goal to retrieve ball. He wasn't 350 lbs, but at least 250. Other ref said he didn't see the play.

Comment

Requirements to be a HS ref>>>

250+ lbs and totally out of shape or a senior citizen who may be able to run the field but can't see with a magnifying glass.

Comment

I've seen at least two games where an obvious PK should have been given. These refs are too afraid to make these calls. And the fact that a ref can then say "I didn't see the play" is awful...they are paid to see the play.

Comment

I've seen at least two games where an obvious PK should have been given. These refs are too afraid to make these calls. And the fact that a ref can then say "I didn't see the play" is awful...they are paid to see the play.
                  Other ref in Peabody-Chelmsford game also claimed he didn't see the play when he was asked for his help.

Comment

Other ref in Peabody-Chelmsford game also claimed he didn't see the play when he was asked for his help.
                    There are lots of legitimate reasons to criticize referees.
                    "Not seeing" is not one of them.
                    And "being paid to see"??? that's just stupid.

No one sees everything. And there many times when there is a perfectly good reason a ref may not see something. It's entirely possible that his responsibility at that time was to be looking somewhere else.

If a ref is out of position, bad.
                    If a ref doesn't hustle, bad.
                    If a ref doesn't know the LOTG (or in the case of HS the NFHS rules), bad.

But if a human being doesn't see something, what the hell can they do???
                    Dumb.

Comment

There are lots of legitimate reasons to criticize referees.
                      "Not seeing" is not one of them.
                      And "being paid to see"??? that's just stupid.

No one sees everything. And there many times when there is a perfectly good reason a ref may not see something. It's entirely possible that his responsibility at that time was to be looking somewhere else.

If a ref is out of position, bad.
                      If a ref doesn't hustle, bad.
                      If a ref doesn't know the LOTG (or in the case of HS the NFHS rules), bad.

But if a human being doesn't see something, what the hell can they do???
                      Dumb.
                      You just describe the Central Mass Officials!!!!!

Comment

You just describe the Central Mass Officials!!!!!
                        My first and only questions when someone whines about officiating is "did your team win or lose". If the answer is lose then there is a 99% chance they are mad because they lost. I really only take commentary from the unbiased as meaningful. Too many people over 30 years old in the US have no idea what they are looking at when it comes to soccer. They didn't play the game, they don't know the laws, and they most certainly have never officiated a game.

I am not a surgeon and I certainly don't feel qualified to comment on their performance. If I did my opinion would be irrelevant.

Comment

I am not a surgeon and I certainly don't feel qualified to comment on their performance. If I did my opinion would be irrelevant.
                          I've been a ref for 20 years.
                          Although I appreciate the idea behind your comment, I've always bristled at this particular comparison. Reffing is NOT surgery. (Neither is coaching or playing, btw.) This is just a game. An artful one when done well. But it does not take 10 years of post-university study to master it.

And when people start saying that something cannot be explained, I immediately start thinking that's because they don't really understand it.

Comment

I've been a ref for 20 years.
                            Although I appreciate the idea behind your comment, I've always bristled at this particular comparison. Reffing is NOT surgery. (Neither is coaching or playing, btw.) This is just a game. An artful one when done well. But it does not take 10 years of post-university study to master it.

And when people start saying that something cannot be explained, I immediately start thinking that's because they don't really understand it.
                            Obviously officiating is not the same as being a surgeon but that is the nature of analogies. The draw comparisons. On a conceptual basis.

As for officiating being explainable? It really isn't until you have actually done it. Being a player for 40 years and a coach for 20 helped prepare for me for officiating but not completely. There are nuances that I understand now that I did not as a player or coach.

My experience (and it is considerable) is that if you have 100 fans at a game. 3 are officials, 10 are current or former coaches, 20 are current or former players, another 20 are students of the game. The rest? They learn what they know from the other 47 who have absolutely no clue what they are watching from a LOTG standpoint.

Comment

High school officiating is a problem - especially with the girls. Sorry, that is the fact. It is understandable why. The number of games, often played at pretty inconvenient times, means the available pool of officials will be compromised. No doubt that too many reerees in HS girls games have both a poor understanding of the game combined with inadequate fitness. Not all, and not a majority, but more than enough to result in problems. Add the intrinsic difficulties of properly officiating in a two-ref system, and in some respects it is a surprise that the quality of officiating is as good as it is. Not sure what the MIAA can do. Certainly a little bit of external evaluation to ween out the very worst referees would be nice, but considering the above issues I'm not sure that much more could be done.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X