•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony DiCicco

U.S. Soccer Legend Steps Down as Boston Breakers Head Coach
    09/15/2011 - 11:43 a.m.

Norwood, MA (Sept. 14, 2011) - Former U.S. Women’s National Team Head Coach Tony DiCicco has formerly announced his retirement as Boston Breakers head coach effective immediately. Head coaching duties will be passed to former Associate Head Coach Lisa Cole. DiCicco will remain with the organization in an advisory role.

DiCicco, best known for guiding the United States to gold medals at both the 1996 Olympic Games and 1999 FIFA World Cup has accumulated an international record of 103-8-8, making him the all time wins leader in U.S. National Soccer Team history. Prior to taking the head coaching position with the Breakers, DiCicco led the U20 USA Women to a World Cup Championship in 2008 in Chile.

DiCicco took over as Breakers head coach prior to the Women’s Professional Soccer League (WPS) inaugural season in 2008. DiCicco finished his three-year coaching tenure with a 23-26-16 record, bringing the Breakers just one game shy of the WPS championship game in 2010.

“Tony is one of the most accomplished coaches in American soccer history, and it’s been a true honor to have him lead the Breakers for the past three seasons,” said Boston Breakers Board Governor Michael Stoller. “Tony’s dedication to the Breakers, the sport of soccer, and the city of Boston has established the Breakers as one of the premier franchises in the WPS, and we look forward to his continued involvement with the organization.”

New Head Coach Lisa Cole has spent the past three seasons working under DiCicco as Breakers Associate Head Coach. Cole is coming into an ideal situation, inheriting a team with the highest season ticket sales in the league and eight players who competed in this past summer’s FIFA Women’s World Cup.

"Lisa Cole is an outstanding coach with a great soccer mind," DiCicco said. "She is excellent at managing players and staff, and she is ready to lead the Breakers. I have enjoyed working with Lisa over the past three seasons, and I think I learned as more from her than she did from me."

Cole brings over a decade of coaching experience at both the collegiate and semi-professional level, along with experience in soccer operations and management to the Boston Breakers. Prior to joining the Breakers, Cole was the President and Assistant Coach of SoccerPlus Connecticut Reds, a Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL) team coached by DiCicco. The team played its inaugural season in 2007, capped with a USASA U-23 National Title, a USASA Bronze in the Open Cup, and a WPSL playoff run. In addition, Cole is the Director for the SoccerPlus Education Center, a non-profit organization that provides and participates in educational programs, seminars, community outreach events and individual mentoring on and off the soccer field.

Cole’s collegiate coaching experience includes a year at Florida State, where she served as Assistant Coach under renowned Head Coach Mark Krikorian in 2005. Prior to that, she served as Head Coach of the University of Rhode Island (2003 and 2004), where she compiled a 19-18-4 record and a 13-6-3 record in Atlantic 10 play.

The Breakers look forward to resuming play in early April as the WPS kicks off for its fourth season. All home games are played at Harvard Stadium in Allston, Mass.

Now he can focus on Soccerplus again....hopefully he can rebuild that program....

Comment

Why did he leave in the first place? A better paying job? Maybe he will coach US women team again and win another world cup!!! GO USA!!

Comment

He couldn't win in the WPS how do you think he could win on the world stage. 1999 was a long time ago and the rest of the world has caught up on the woman of the USA....maybe he can focus on his ECNL teams so they won't finish at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          He couldn't win in the WPS how do you think he could win on the world stage. 1999 was a long time ago and the rest of the world has caught up on the woman of the USA....maybe he can focus on his ECNL teams so they won't finish at the bottom.
          Spot on.

Comment

I'm a parent of a u14g player. We live on the Ma. Ct. border and currently play for a premier team in Ma. I know it's a little early, but my daughter is thinking of moving to a Ct team. I am starting some research on this now. I am wondering about the Ct clubs. So far the ones I have looked up are Oakwood, CFC, FSA and Soccerplus. Oakwood and CFC appear to carry larger rosters and are a bit further, neither of which I am thrilled about. So I think at the top of my list would be FSA and soccerplus. My daughter participates in Ma odp and is completely capable of competing for an Oakwood or CFC team but I would like to hear more about the FSA and Soccerplus clubs and teams. Please, constructive feedback only.

Comment

I'm a parent of a u14g player. We live on the Ma. Ct. border and currently play for a premier team in Ma. I know it's a little early, but my daughter is thinking of moving to a Ct team. I am starting some research on this now. I am wondering about the Ct clubs. So far the ones I have looked up are Oakwood, CFC, FSA and Soccerplus. Oakwood and CFC appear to carry larger rosters and are a bit further, neither of which I am thrilled about. So I think at the top of my list would be FSA and soccerplus. My daughter participates in Ma odp and is completely capable of competing for an Oakwood or CFC team but I would like to hear more about the FSA and Soccerplus clubs and teams. Please, constructive feedback only.
              These are the four clubs I would reccomend. CFC and Soccerplus are the two ECNL clubs. FSA and Oakwood have the top facilities.

CFC usually has some Suffield kids that could help with commuting.

Oakwood and CFC in this age group are stacked. Even if your child is better then some of their existing players, it might be more difficult to make their rosters than Soccerplus and FSA.

Comment

These are the four clubs I would reccomend. CFC and Soccerplus are the two ECNL clubs. FSA and Oakwood have the top facilities.

CFC usually has some Suffield kids that could help with commuting.

Oakwood and CFC in this age group are stacked. Even if your child is better then some of their existing players, it might be more difficult to make their rosters than Soccerplus and FSA.
                You should try and see where your daughter fits with Oakwood first. They are the best team in the age group. If she isn't good enough, try CFC Wolves. Like the other poster said you could car pool. If she isn't good enough there then you should probably try FSA first since with Soccerplus you'll be spending a lot of money to be on an average team.

Go to the website for all these clubs and see when they play. Even better, see when they play each other. That will help you with watching styles of play and coaching. You could talk to coaches after the game. That is legal so don't worry about it. Good luck!

Comment

You should try and see where your daughter fits with Oakwood first. They are the best team in the age group. If she isn't good enough, try CFC Wolves. Like the other poster said you could car pool. If she isn't good enough there then you should probably try FSA first since with Soccerplus you'll be spending a lot of money to be on an average team.

Go to the website for all these clubs and see when they play. Even better, see when they play each other. That will help you with watching styles of play and coaching. You could talk to coaches after the game. That is legal so don't worry about it. Good luck!
                  One thing to consider if she is serious about playing soccer in college down the road, which club has the best history of getting their kids into D1 schools to play soccer. For that, CFC has the best record. (college coaches on their staff who know other college colleges, for recommendations).

Oakwood is a great club, but it seems like not too many of their players go on to high level D1 schools to play competitive soccer. (With the exception of the one National player they had, who went to UConn)

Website below lists club recruiting for D1 schools.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...NZnNqc1E#gid=6

Comment

U.S. Soccer Legend Steps Down as Boston Breakers Head Coach
                    09/15/2011 - 11:43 a.m.

Norwood, MA (Sept. 14, 2011) - Former U.S. Women’s National Team Head Coach Tony DiCicco has formerly announced his retirement as Boston Breakers head coach effective immediately. Head coaching duties will be passed to former Associate Head Coach Lisa Cole. DiCicco will remain with the organization in an advisory role.

DiCicco, best known for guiding the United States to gold medals at both the 1996 Olympic Games and 1999 FIFA World Cup has accumulated an international record of 103-8-8, making him the all time wins leader in U.S. National Soccer Team history. Prior to taking the head coaching position with the Breakers, DiCicco led the U20 USA Women to a World Cup Championship in 2008 in Chile.

DiCicco took over as Breakers head coach prior to the Women’s Professional Soccer League (WPS) inaugural season in 2008. DiCicco finished his three-year coaching tenure with a 23-26-16 record, bringing the Breakers just one game shy of the WPS championship game in 2010.

“Tony is one of the most accomplished coaches in American soccer history, and it’s been a true honor to have him lead the Breakers for the past three seasons,” said Boston Breakers Board Governor Michael Stoller. “Tony’s dedication to the Breakers, the sport of soccer, and the city of Boston has established the Breakers as one of the premier franchises in the WPS, and we look forward to his continued involvement with the organization.”

New Head Coach Lisa Cole has spent the past three seasons working under DiCicco as Breakers Associate Head Coach. Cole is coming into an ideal situation, inheriting a team with the highest season ticket sales in the league and eight players who competed in this past summer’s FIFA Women’s World Cup.

"Lisa Cole is an outstanding coach with a great soccer mind," DiCicco said. "She is excellent at managing players and staff, and she is ready to lead the Breakers. I have enjoyed working with Lisa over the past three seasons, and I think I learned as more from her than she did from me."

Cole brings over a decade of coaching experience at both the collegiate and semi-professional level, along with experience in soccer operations and management to the Boston Breakers. Prior to joining the Breakers, Cole was the President and Assistant Coach of SoccerPlus Connecticut Reds, a Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL) team coached by DiCicco. The team played its inaugural season in 2007, capped with a USASA U-23 National Title, a USASA Bronze in the Open Cup, and a WPSL playoff run. In addition, Cole is the Director for the SoccerPlus Education Center, a non-profit organization that provides and participates in educational programs, seminars, community outreach events and individual mentoring on and off the soccer field.

Cole’s collegiate coaching experience includes a year at Florida State, where she served as Assistant Coach under renowned Head Coach Mark Krikorian in 2005. Prior to that, she served as Head Coach of the University of Rhode Island (2003 and 2004), where she compiled a 19-18-4 record and a 13-6-3 record in Atlantic 10 play.

The Breakers look forward to resuming play in early April as the WPS kicks off for its fourth season. All home games are played at Harvard Stadium in Allston, Mass.
                    Wishing Lisa Cole and Tony DiCiccio the best in the future. My daughter has taken their summer Soccerplus camps and loves them. Great staff! Hope DiCiccio gets his Soccerplus club back to where it should be.

Comment

Wishing Lisa Cole and Tony DiCiccio the best in the future. My daughter has taken their summer Soccerplus camps and loves them. Great staff! Hope DiCiccio gets his Soccerplus club back to where it should be.
                      Has Tony gone back to Soccerplus?

Comment

Has Tony gone back to Soccerplus?
                        If he's stepped down as the Breakers coach, I imagine he's going back to Soccerplus.

Comment

If he's stepped down as the Breakers coach, I imagine he's going back to Soccerplus.
                          Good luck to the girls Soccerplus program. Hopefully with Anthony and Tony running things, it will turn around.

Comment

Anthony D? You are hoping he will help turn SoccerPlus around? Wow!! He will only lead SoccerPlus deeper into the rec level status.

Comment

Anthony D? You are hoping he will help turn SoccerPlus around? Wow!! He will only lead SoccerPlus deeper into the rec level status.
                              The first thing Tony needs to is remove Anthony's god awful video from the web site

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X