Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiting

What are the rules governing clubs in CT from recruiting other players from other teams and how is it policed?

a) Within USYS (CJSA)
    b) Within US Club Soccer
    c) Within USSF Academy
    d) When are players registered by their clubs for their season?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What are the rules governing clubs in CT from recruiting other players from other teams and how is it policed?

a) Within USYS (CJSA)
    b) Within US Club Soccer
    c) Within USSF Academy
    d) When are players registered by their clubs for their season?
    a) lots of grey area. once season begins in fall there should be no initiated communication between coach and player/parent of another team. If parent/player initiates then coach is free to speak. technically parents can do the dirty work and do the recruiting for the coach though this is probably breaking some rule too and I'm sure cjsa could penalize coach/club if they wanted. Never heard of it happening though.

Bottom line, if a kid wants to leave a club then they should be able to go. If a coach recruits a kid during season and the kid doesn't want to leave then the coach will probably get suspended. Not too many kids/parents will rat out a coach if they want to leave anyway. Not much policing going on overall. I haven't heard of too many coaches and clubs getting suspensions handed down for recruiting (that i know of). now with academy around it is a free for all going in both directions. academies can go after usysa kids and vice versa with no backlash because they are 2 separate organizations. You will see more and more academies look to recruit usysa kids so they can compete nationally. Not sure how much of it has happened so far.

b) pretty much a free for all. most clubs do us club as an aside and not just as a standalone.

c) Academies can go after kids from any organization but I'm sure there is a code amongst coaches about going after kids from other academy clubs once the season has started and once players have signed they will stay away.

d) Again some grey area. Most clubs post a list by early July and that is 90% official as players/parents have agreed to a spot. It's the other 10% that are always shopping their kid around to 4 or 5 clubs and looking for the best offer financial or otherwise. Some clubs post a list before kids are committed so how is any coach to know who is really committed and not. Safe to say that if a spot is offered to a kid and they accepted they should be off the table or if they already sent in their deposit. That should be the signal for the coach to shut it down and let that player go.

As a parent I don't feel the season is officially underway until that first game or practice. For HS age kids season doesn't start until after HS is over. Not sure what the rules are though. There are a lot of kids that are looking for spots during the HS season.

Comment

Big recruiting tool used to be head to head competition in league or state cup, not so much anymore. Best player on losing team goes to play for winner, easy for parents to make the comparison.

Comment

Every parent wants their kid to play on the winning team even if they don't get much playing time right?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Every parent wants their kid to play on the winning team even if they don't get much playing time right?
          I don't think there are too many parents out there who would knowingly put their kid in a situation where they aren't going to get decent playing time just so the kid could be on a winning team. Everyone wants both playing time and a winning team, but getting lousy playing time is a much more miserable experience than being on a losing team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X