Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIAA and middle school

Do MIAA rules apply to middle school players who play only on the middle school team?

I've looked through the MIAA rules and from what I can distinguish it only applies to middle school kids who play up on a high school team. If the player stays on solely the middle school team then it appears that player can also play for his or her club team or town team as well.

Is there anything to the contrary?

I want to keep this subject separate from the issue of if it's right or wrong to do both at the same time and not turn this into another dual rostering issue. Just looking for some clarification
    Energy

Re: MIAA and middle school

Originally posted by Liverpool Coach
    Do MIAA rules apply to middle school players who play only on the middle school team?

I've looked through the MIAA rules and from what I can distinguish it only applies to middle school kids who play up on a high school team. If the player stays on solely the middle school team then it appears that player can also play for his or her club team or town team as well.

Is there anything to the contrary?

I want to keep this subject separate from the issue of if it's right or wrong to do both at the same time and not turn this into another dual rostering issue. Just looking for some clarification
    I do not believe so if they are playing for a middle school team. Those are basically intramurals. I am also not sure if a kid goes to a middle school being permitted to play for a HS that is a distinct physical entity - I don't think that is allowed.

Comment

My daughters played on both their middle school teams and their club teams when they were in middle school and it was very stressful. In our town we have a middle/high school with grades 6 - 12. We do have girls who play 5 years of varsity soccer. But it has been my understanding that MIAA rules only apply to grades 9 - 12.

Comment

Even if you're in 8th grade, if you are playing for your high school's teams (no matter what level), you cannot violate the Bona Fide Team Rule without consequence.
        A. Carrillo

Comment

That is a big problem the last few years with 8th graders playing Varisty at High School. It usually happens with smaller schools but it really has effected some teams fall season. Maybe Mape should consider moving back not playing Fall ball to U14 and not the current U15.

Comment

I live in a small town with a strong girls school middle/high school soccer program. We graduated 5 seniors this year, 3 of them spent 5 years on varsity. When we have tryouts all 3 teams tryout at the same time, with very little segregation if any between the HS and MS girls. It is conceivable that a tall, skilled 6th grader can play JV or varsity. Last fall one of our rival teams has 3 sisters playing varsity, the youngest a 7th grader. I know what you are thinking...yes she got equitable playing time and yes she held her own.

Comment

One can't do everything. Middle school soccer where some schools have practice/games 5 days a week and club soccer is too much!

Kids get injured. This is serious over-use at the age when these children are most vulnerable.

If they play middle school then they shouldn't be playing club.

I know of children who played middle school, town travel and club. They all ended up with injures. All developed "ossie's", some had growth plate damage, and a few damaged ligaments.

There were some Sunday's on a BU13 team, where with a full 18 player roster, 9 players were on the bench nursing over-use injuries.

Parents protect your child! They can't do everything.

The youth sport industry sets a very carefully crafted trap for parents and players. Learn to say NO! You don't have to accept every offer to guest at tournaments. One doesn't have to play on every available team in every possible venue.

Maybe even take a season away from soccer. It might be healthy for the child and certainly for the family. Try some family activities, e.g. card games, hikes, the beach, travel, anything but soccer. Maybe just spend some time in a hamock in the shade reading a good book.

Comment

If they play middle school then they shouldn't be playing club.

Shouldn't that work both ways? If they're playing club maybe they shouldn't play middle school?

Comment

My oldest son experienced this playing Middle school soccer, club and town travel. He ended up in a cast to calm down a tendon in his ankle. No long term or growth plate damage.

We did not let my second son do all three.

Comment

Please read my original post on this subject and that I wanted to kepp this just to what the MIAA rules are, if any, in this situation. I understand all the issues of doing too much and over-use injuries and I am not advocating doing both. Again, I just wanted to know the MIAA rules. So please start a new thread if you want to talk about schedule conflicts or over-use injuries
                    Energy

Comment

Sorry Bernie. :(

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X