Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls Tryout

Hello all. I've never posted here before, although I have just completed reading every thread in this forum to get a sense of what it is all about. You all seem to have a lot of experience with the CT premier soccer cubs, so perhaps you can give me some insight.

However, this may be the wrong place to ask this question, because I am horrified a little by the lack of civility at times by some posters.

Anyway here's my question. My daughter is going to be playing for one of the premier teams - either South Central or FSA. The age group range she is in is that 14-15-16 year old level (It doesn't really matter that I tell you the exact age group because my question is not about a specific coach or team).

I'm trying to decide which team organization / playing environment of the two teams is like. Basically my dilemma is this - my duaghter's a good player, but we, her parents, and to some extent her, just don't care all that much about soccer (or sports in general). It's just a part of who and what she is, and it's something she enjoys. And neither of her parents needs a sports ego boost either, so a winning club isn't even all that important.

However, she does want to get better, and she does want to play with other players who are also better. So anyway, it's basically coming down to FSA or SCP.

We as parents have some "turn-offs" and some "turn-ons" when it comes to our soccer experiences and could use some feedback on whether there is any difference between FSA or SCP in terms of those turn-ons and turn-offs.

Turn-Offs:
    1) Blow-hard, self-promoting, salesmanship by coaches, or club staff: (Personally, we could care less about your club's trophy case, it's college promotion program, it's storied history, etc). Just keep it simple and keep it about the kids and that's about all we'll need because the rewards of the the sports experience really has little to do with any of that stuff and everything to do with whether or not it is a personally enriching experience.

2) Coaches acting like making a mistake on the field is a big deal: Hearing things like "Sophie, you do that one more time and you'll be on the bench" shouted from the sidelines makes my stomach turn. Instead we prefer coaches that set a high standard and goals in practice, ask kids to take responsibility and autonomy for achieving them, and provide an environment that helps them achieve it where the kids overcome their own obstacles to those goals. And so we think coaches don't need to worry about the little things (like one play in one game).

3) Soccerheads: Soccerheads think soccer is everything, and only see your daughter as a soccer playing tool. They are a pretty big turn off.

4) Soccerhead parents: Soccerhead parents are those so engrossed in their daughters sports activity that they think discussions about "playing at the highest level" and "playing in college" are interesting topics of discussion. They worry about their own kids' playing time and whether she's getting properly "showcased". They are parents that can tell you the names and stats of players on some other club in the state. (While I can't even remember the score of my own daughter's game three days after its over).

5) Neurotic Parents: Yes, we are all neurotic to some extent. But some of us are better than others at sharing it with the rest of the team and creating a strange parental sideline dynamic. For instance - please, I'm not interested in a sideline where I have to stand next to parents who can't enjoy the game in and of itself, and have to fill the air talking about what they don't like about other players on the team, the field condition, or whether the ref made the proper offsides call.

6) Clubs that don't utilize practice time well: 30% "downtime" with coaches that like to dialogue on topics the kids are gonna just forget anyway, or working on "artificial" technicalities or schema like set plays for long periods rather than on fundamentals.

Turn-Ons:

1) Coaches that will give you the time of day.
    2) Coaches who smile
    3) Coaches who will work you hard, communicate clear and straightforward expectations and stand by them consistently and then give the kids the challenge to meet them.
    4) Parents, club staff and coaches who can grasp the concept that when practice or games end, then the kids go back to the "real" life. And that soccer is actually just a break from real life.
    5) Parents who would think it would be a nice idea to sneak off to the parking lot during the game and cook some burgers and hang out. (even if we never do it, just that they'd think it a nice idea).
    6) Parents who don't stress the night before or the day of the "game".
    7) Parents who stress about their child's playing time.
    8) Parents who think ECNL is a good idea.
    9) Parents who think having their kid playing in college is a "prize" rather than a "job" and therefore look forward to that idea with relish rather than trepidation.

Anyway does it matter which club? Is there any difference in atmosphere between SCP and FSA? Or are both clubs equally mired in the swamp of "turn-offs"?

Any help is much appreciated. (PS. I'm an adult. I know the game well enough. I need no advice on what good soccer looks like, who coaches well, whether players are technically capable or just athletic, or any of that stuff. I can do my own evaluation in about 10 minutes as to the quality of the soccer aspects. I do very much need assistance on the atmosphere side of things.)

Goofed on my original post

I goofed in the last three of my "Turn ons".

I wrote these as turn ons:
    9) Parents who think having their kid playing in college is a "prize" rather than a "job" and therefore look forward to that idea with relish rather than trepidation.

I should have written the "turns ons" as:
    7) Parents who don't stress about their child's playing time.
    8) Parents who don’t think ECNL is a good idea.
    9) Parents who don’t think having their kid playing in college is a "prize" rather than a "job" and therefore look forward to that idea of them playing in college with trepidation rather than relish.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I goofed in the last three of my "Turn ons".

I wrote these as turn ons:

I should have written the "turns ons" as:
      7) Parents who don't stress about their child's playing time.
      8) Parents who don’t think ECNL is a good idea.
      9) Parents who don’t think having their kid playing in college is a "prize" rather than a "job" and therefore look forward to that idea of them playing in college with trepidation rather than relish.
      God, I feel sorry for your child. She's enthusiastic about something she loves and you couldn't care less. Do us parents all a favor and have her carpool with someone to games and practice.

Even at the younger ages in travel, most parents want to watch and cheer their kids on, not sneak out for cooking burgers in the parking lot. You really do sound like a self-absorbed idiot! I may not be the biggest soccer fan, but I'm always there to support my daughter, which means the world to her.

Comment

God, I feel sorry for your child. She's enthusiastic about something she loves and you couldn't care less. Do us parents all a favor and have her carpool with someone to games and practice.

Even at the younger ages in travel, most parents want to watch and cheer their kids on, not sneak out for cooking burgers in the parking lot. You really do sound like a self-absorbed idiot! I may not be the biggest soccer fan, but I'm always there to support my daughter, which means the world to her.
        I have to agree with this poster. You seem to be more concerned about yourself than your child. You should be happy that she has the talent to make a team at this age. Good players are being cut from other clubs. My wife and I love watching our daughter. We dont have expectations about her playing in college but soccer does consume our lives. You need to enjoy your child's enthusiasim. Without your support, I doubt she will make it more than 2 years in premier.

SCP and FSA are good clubs. I would go with the team with the most friends. FSA has the best facilitites

Comment

Lighten up. I didn't get the sense that the OP "couldn't care less". If the OP's daughter is heading to a premier team than clearly there is some skill/commitment there. I think the OP is simply saying that soccer is not the end all be all for them and they are looking for a club that may be less intense than some others. I wouldn't feel at all sorry for the OP's daughter. I feel badly for kids whose parents devote their own lives 100% to their childs soccer "careers".

Comment

Lighten up. I didn't get the sense that the OP "couldn't care less". If the OP's daughter is heading to a premier team than clearly there is some skill/commitment there. I think the OP is simply saying that soccer is not the end all be all for them and they are looking for a club that may be less intense than some others. I wouldn't feel at all sorry for the OP's daughter. I feel badly for kids whose parents devote their own lives 100% to their childs soccer "careers".

Please dont feel bad for us. We feel bad for the child who never has a parent at the game.

This is premier soccer. It should be for kids that want to live, eat and breath soccer.
            The poster should stay away from the clubs that she mentioned. These are division 1 premier teams that want dedicated players and committed parents.

Comment

Please dont feel bad for us. We feel bad for the child who never has a parent at the game.

This is premier soccer. It should be for kids that want to live, eat and breath soccer.
              The poster should stay away from the clubs that she mentioned. These are division 1 premier teams that want dedicated players and committed parents.
              Clearly the OP does not fit into the category of a parent who never attends games. Obviously, they do in order to make the assessment that some parents are craaaaaazy! I will agree with you that the OP should make sure that they understand the commitment that premier soccer will be and make sure that they are prepared for it... Having said that, if the child is able to make a premier team and commit to being on a premier team but still have the ability not to "live, eat and breath(e)" soccer than more power to them. In fact, in the long run when their soccer careers are over in 4 years or 8 years or sooner, the kids who are able to separate their value from their ability to play soccer will be far better off than those who are unable to do so.

If you want an example of a craaaaaazy parent... look no further than a poster who would take a post from the CT board and re-post on the Massachusetts board with the title of "Idiotic CT. posting on TS". That's got craaaaaazy written all over it!

Comment

Personally, I hope they go to FSA so I can hopefully meet these non soccer parents. Long message for parents that don't really like sports....

Comment

Personally, I hope they go to FSA so I can hopefully meet these non soccer parents. Long message for parents that don't really like sports....
                  You will never meet them. They'll drop their kid off 15 minutes late and will be heading off to Barnes and Noble.

Comment

You will never meet them. They'll drop their kid off 15 minutes late and will be heading off to Barnes and Noble.
                    Right and you'll be the parent crapping their pants knowing that the kid whose parents have a life outise of soccer is still much better than your kid... We know your type... helicopter soccer parents who wouldn't dream of missing their kids soccer PRACTICES. You never know who may screw your kid over with playing time etc... you better be there to protect them from any unfair coaches in the future!

Comment

Right and you'll be the parent crapping their pants knowing that the kid whose parents have a life outise of soccer is still much better than your kid... We know your type... helicopter soccer parents who wouldn't dream of missing their kids soccer PRACTICES. You never know who may screw your kid over with playing time etc... you better be there to protect them from any unfair coaches in the future!
                      There's always a lunatic like you with issues. Your post is all over the place. No I'm not crapping my pants because there might another player better than mine. I enjoy being involved in all my child's activites not just soccer and I like watching the practices when I can.

Not that this has anything to do with the prior posts but if the coach sucks you move to another club. Yes I would be there for my child if she has an unfair coach.

Comment

You summed it up perfectly. That is the problem with youth sports. Parents complain to much about lack of playing time instead of being realistic with kids and just tell them to work harder to earn your time....

Comment

There's always a lunatic like you with issues. Your post is all over the place. No I'm not crapping my pants because there might another player better than mine. I enjoy being involved in all my child's activites not just soccer and I like watching the practices when I can.

Not that this has anything to do with the prior posts but if the coach sucks you move to another club. Yes I would be there for my child if she has an unfair coach.
                          My only point was to point out the absurdity of mocking a parent who may have other commitments outside of soccer to attend to... If you were the poster who made the comment about the parent who would drop off their child and head on out... then my comment was directed at you... if not, I don't care how many practices you stay for... just don't assume that it makes you a more devoted soccer mom.

Comment

You summed it up perfectly. That is the problem with youth sports. Parents complain to much about lack of playing time instead of being realistic with kids and just tell them to work harder to earn your time....
                            Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Comment

What's sad is that this poor kid really wants to better herself in soccer, yet the parents don't want to make the effort. I'm sure she'll have fond memories of how "supportative" her parents were when she gets older.

My daughter's soccer games sometimes can get really dull, but at least she knows that we'll be there to support her, no matter what.

It's only 90 minutes out of your life....you should be able to at least sacrifice that amount of time at least 1x/week. I'm sure it would mean a lot to your daughter.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X