Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regionals

I was just scanning the Region 1 site. Massachusetts is the only state not sending any teams to the U12 Regionals?

The rationale for this is that the kids are 'too young' for the 'pressure'. This really bothers me. Its wrong. They arent 'too young' and there isnt that much pressure. I went with a U12 team (current 18s) to Buffalo before Mass imposed this ridiculous ban. They had a blast. They went 2-1. They didnt advance. Nobody had their lives or soccer careers ruined.

I agree with you Fred. I sure FSM will not. Stress shouldn't happen to I believe U14 now.

Comment

Right. Its a soccer tournament....a joyous event. I feel like Massachusetts (or any state that blocks their teams) is doing a terrible disservice to its own players.

Comment

Isn't MYSA allowing U12s to compete in 8v8 next year?

Comment

Totally agree with you Fred, it is a fantastic experience no matter what the outcome. At that age if the coach and club can keep it to a matter of experience and fun then it is well worth it.

Comment

agree with you Fred. I sure FSM will not. Stress shouldn't happen to I believe U14 now.

Who flips flops more FSM or Mitt Romney

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by Show Me Soccer
              Totally agree with you Fred, it is a fantastic experience no matter what the outcome. At that age if the coach and club can keep it to a matter of experience and fun then it is well worth it.
              One of my boys went to Regionals after winning Ma state cups at U12 and U13 many years ago. To my knowledge, psychotherapy was not needed afterwards! The boys had a great time and my son remembers it fondly to this day. "Remember when we......"

Comment

Re: Agree

Originally posted by Anonymous
                Originally posted by Show Me Soccer
                One of my boys went to Regionals after winning Ma state cups at U12 and U13 many years ago. To my knowledge, psychotherapy was not needed afterwards! The boys had a great time and my son remembers it fondly to this day. "Remember when we......"
                OnTheRun....sorry, signed me in as guest again.

Comment

I've always looked at it as a reward for a job well done and from having a special season. My older son was able to participate in this as a U12 and while we did not advance it was a wonderful experience and something that my son and I fondly remember. As with anything else if you keep it in perspective then no matter the outcome the winners are the kids and the memories they take with them from these experiences.
                  Energy

Comment

I agree with you Fred. I sure FSM will not. Stress shouldn't happen to I believe U14 now.
                    OK enough. She hasn't posted on this thread, had nothing to do with this thread and there was no reason to drag her name into this. She's completely capable of giving her opinion

Comment

Has anyone even bothered to read the USSF proposal on the new academies? Doesn't anyone wonder why they are taking this approach and why they are bypassing USYSA? Do you realize what USSF is trying to do is separate those who compete for competition sake from those who really are serious about development?

• Academy teams will not be permitted to compete in State Cups,

• Academy team players will not participate in the U.S. Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program

John Hackworth:“
                      The idea ultimately is that clubs should run their entire club much more in line with player development principles, so their U9, or U11 programs should be similar to how we set this up. It will be much different at the competitive level, but it will also be much different from what the competitive level looks like now. We can give these 9 year olds the opportunity to really enjoy the game, to learn it, and have it so they’re not worrying about winning some Halloween tournament and playing 4 full games in 48 hours or something ridiculous like that. So yes, we want to have a profound effect on the clubs’ philosophies on developing players, and that shift in focus will be huge if we are to move forward as a soccer nation."

“So if we’re committed to that we can look at the clubs and say ‘What are you doing with your teams at the youngest ages? Do you have a mini-academy? Are their coaches focused on individual technical development? Are you mixing large player pools instead of focusing on winning U9 and U11 Cups? It’s not rocket science, it’s really pretty simple. Right now that’s not what happens and that’s where we feel it’s right to have some hands on situations with people. We don’t want to see clubs say ‘Let’s just have winning teams until they are 14 and then we’ll turn it over to player development. Let’s focus on development all the way through, and remember that if you develop players as best as you can, you’re going to be successful on the field anyway.â€￾

Maryland Men’s head coach Sasho Cirovski:
                      “For the good of the game, this is a welcome and long overdue concept. Youth soccer has become obsessed with winning and learning through games at the expense of development of fundamental techniques. The emphasis on training, combined with a periodization schedule that will allow players to train and play games mentally and physically at 100 percent"

Jim Paglia:
                      "U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) will rightly segregate the elite players, and provide them a reasonable training schedule.......
                      I anticipate a "trickle down" affect to all this. USSDA is now the elite player territory. Non-USSDA clubs must create an experience that relies on something other than the promise of national prominence.
                      USSDA will separate the truly premier clubs from the "want to be." This puts enormous pressure on clubs that are not part of the USSDA program to do a better job of creating a meaningful experience for members.......
                      Clubs that address member satisfaction, and exceed expectations in stakeholder experiences are more likely to survive the shakeout that I predict will occur. Players and parents will express their loyalty to a club's brand for reasons beyond elite status, salaries paid to staff, won/loss records, or trophies acquired."
                      Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I read it, but I couldn't find any mention of coaches and parents leving one club en masse and taking their kids to other clubs.

By the way, didn't you just leave a club that is participating in this Academy program? I know it's not for girls yet, but surely the club must have some committment toward development if it's going to be in this program.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bones
                          I read it, but I couldn't find any mention of coaches and parents leving one club en masse and taking their kids to other clubs.

By the way, didn't you just leave a club that is participating in this Academy program? I know it's not for girls yet, but surely the club must have some committment toward development if it's going to be in this program.....
                          Will the Bolts have teams for the academy? From what I'm hearing the teams that would be affected are leaving en masse as well. Doesn't this suggest something isn't right in Bolts land?

Comment

Will the Bolts have teams for the academy? From what I'm hearing the teams that would be affected are leaving en masse as well. Doesn't this suggest something isn't right in Bolts land?
                            The Bolts U16 team is struggling to find an adequate number of "elite" players to fill the 22 slots alloted. The parents, although they like the concept, are struggling with the "sacrifices" their boys will need to make if enrolled in this program. The boys will only be able to play high school soccer. Any winter or spring high school sport will not be allowed. ODP, Region 1 league, District Select, summer camps as well as USYS state cup will all be bypassed. It's difficult as a parent to take this leap of faith at this age group. The club has not clarified exactly who will be the boys selected for the program. I know that the current U15 and U14 boys will be trying out. There are no plans to offer a "B" team that will play state cup and MAPLE. A number of the current players have left because they are not willing to make the sacrifices requested. A number of the remaining players will be staying and plan on becoming part of this academy.

The question I have is will the talent pool truly be an "elite" group? If it is then the top players from MA in this age group shoul be represented. At this point that is not happening (although there are some). What is the cost for this program? Is it totally subsidized by USSF or will the clubs be charging to meet their expenses. If that's the case will it be more for players who are able to pay and not necessarily the most talented players? Why wasn't this program starting at the truly developmental ages (U10-U12)? I would think it would be a much easier sell to get these boys early on and truly work on the developmental aspect of soccer.

Comment

"Has anyone even bothered to read the USSF proposal on the new academies? Doesn't anyone wonder why they are taking this approach and why they are bypassing USYSA? Do you realize what USSF is trying to do is separate those who compete for competition sake from those who really are serious about development?

• Academy teams will not be permitted to compete in State Cups,

• Academy team players will not participate in the U.S. Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program"

FSM... Citing something or someone important out of context doesnt make your case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X