Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great coach vs. Great players

Would you rather have a great Coach that improves you really well on a bad team. Or a bad coach that has some great players that make him look good but he never does anything to improve his players.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would you rather have a great Coach that improves you really well on a bad team. Or a bad coach that has some great players that make him look good but he never does anything to improve his players.
    Any answers? Need some help. ^^^

Comment

My daughters team isnt very good but I see continuous improvement in her play. I'm satisfied.

Comment

My daughters team isnt very good but I see continuous improvement in her play. I'm satisfied.
        May I ask what Club?Usually brighter future for kid with good coach.

Comment

Go for future. Doesn't matter how bad they are NOW but how good a player or a team improves. That's a successful job in coaching.

Comment

I know many clubs at div 2 or 3 where the coaching is great, not super teams, but the kids have FUN and its affordable, oh ya these kids went on to region 1, ODP, and college without the expensive clubs.......its all perspective if you want the "oh I am with that club" thing, great, but good players will be good players respective of where they play.....

Comment

I know many clubs at div 2 or 3 where the coaching is great, not super teams, but the kids have FUN and its affordable, oh ya these kids went on to region 1, ODP, and college without the expensive clubs.......its all perspective if you want the "oh I am with that club" thing, great, but good players will be good players respective of where they play.....
              I totally agree that there are great coaches and players across many small clubs, but, there are far more success stories from the D1 clubs than the smaller D2/D3 programs. Play where your kid is having fun, don't expect a college scholarship and you will be ok.

Just an aside, 90% of the "college" players will come from D1 programs. They go to more showcase events, play in stronger leagues, have stronger winter programs, etc.. While this may be an issue for some, it is true. Talk to any college coach and he will thell you there are 3 or 4 places they will look for talent:

DAP
              Showcase tournaments
              ODP

They simply can't go to more than that.

Comment

D1 does not guarantee scholarship and I agree the colleges only have a few options to view for players, if you are on ODP or regional teams your chances are far greater, but there are so few soccer scholarships out there and almost NO full ones, only those high select players on national programs will get them, NH, no matter where you play is low on the radar, good luck to those and choose what best fits your child

Comment

do you know what you actually get from a D1 scholarship?

As a parent of a D1 athlete, you have to ask your self if this is really that great a thing. 2 a day practices, 6 days a week, essentially an indentured servant for 4 years, . Your child will be working their way through college and being paid $40,00o a year for four years. They will not have a social life and willmiss out on a lot. There is no free lunch. So beware of golden handcuffs....

Comment

As a parent of a D1 athlete, you have to ask your self if this is really that great a thing. 2 a day practices, 6 days a week, essentially an indentured servant for 4 years, . Your child will be working their way through college and being paid $40,00o a year for four years. They will not have a social life and willmiss out on a lot. There is no free lunch. So beware of golden handcuffs....
                    Its all worth it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X