Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It happens everywhere

The movement of players and teams is not just a Massachusetts thing.

Welcome Valley United Boys 91 to the Real So Cal Family
    Jun 07 2007 - Scott Murray

The Valley United Blast Boys 91 are now part of the Real So Cal Family. They bring an amazing record of winning to an already strong boys side. Led by CYSA-S head coach of the year Julio Castillo and manager Ricardo Argueta, the FOUR time National Cup champions and recent Manchester United Cup champions and defending USYSA National Champions will be representing Real So Cal in the upcoming U-16 season. The next stop for the boys will be regionals in June and they will represent USA in July at the Manchester United Premier Cup 2007 World Boys Finals in either Malaysia or Manchester, England. The boys will compete for a world t!tle against the likes of Real Madrid, Ajax, Arsenal, FC Porto, and Manchester United. We wish them the best of luck in what will be a long summer for them culminating with hopefully another USYS National Championship.

2004 BU12 National Cup & Far West Regional Champions
    2005 BU13 National Cup & Far West Regional Champions
    2006 BU14 National Cup, Far West Regional Champions, National Champions
    2007 BU15 National Cup Champions
    2007 Manchester United Cup Champions

Re: It happens everywhere

Originally posted by Surfer Dude

The Valley United Blast Boys 91 are now part of the Real So Cal Family. They bring an amazing record of winning to an already strong boys side. Led by CYSA-S head coach of the year Julio Castillo and manager Ricardo Argueta, the FOUR time National Cup champions and recent Manchester United Cup champions and defending USYSA National Champions will be representing Real So Cal in the upcoming U-16 season. The next stop for the boys will be regionals in June and they will represent USA in July at the Manchester United Premier Cup 2007 World Boys Finals in either Malaysia or Manchester, England. The boys will compete for a world t!tle against the likes of Real Madrid, Ajax, Arsenal, FC Porto, and Manchester United. We wish them the best of luck in what will be a long summer for them culminating with hopefully another USYS National Championship.

My experience is that player loyalty to a coach and teammates far exceeds any loyalty to a club. Most of the kids that I have coached are not too concerned about which club they play for. It is pretty far down the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
      Originally posted by Surfer Dude

My experience is that player loyalty to a coach and teammates far exceeds any loyalty to a club. Most of the kids that I have coached are not too concerned about which club they play for. It is pretty far down the list.
      The poster formerly known as FSM often quotes the dad from Chicago. Here's his take on changes in Chi-Town:

Chicago has plenty of competition too, of course not as much as SoCal, but a lot. Yet I've never heard of a Magic, Sockers, Wind etc. team just picking up and leaving. The club comes first, the coach comes second. Last year, for example the coach of a State Cup finalist Wind team left for Magic. He was very popular with Wind parents ... but not a single player followed him.

Comment

Maybe because they have a whole host of quality coaches at the club to take his place? If only we could all be so fortunate.

Also, can't help but notice all those "National Cup" championship accolades in the press release. Who do they think they are?! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          The poster formerly known as FSM often quotes the dad from Chicago. Here's his take on changes in Chi-Town:

Chicago has plenty of competition too, of course not as much as SoCal, but a lot. Yet I've never heard of a Magic, Sockers, Wind etc. team just picking up and leaving. The club comes first, the coach comes second. Last year, for example the coach of a State Cup finalist Wind team left for Magic. He was very popular with Wind parents ... but not a single player followed him.
          I think it is important to include everything Chicago dad had to say on the subject, including the context to which it was said.

Originally posted by Poster #1
          It's not uncommon. Just this year in this age group alone, one third of the CSL (Coastal Sosccer League of So Cal)) Premier League teams are at different clubs than last year.
          Originally posted by Chicago Dad
          The big issue is that most of them are not true clubs, rather labels/uniforms that are attached to teams.

Originally posted by Poster #2
          Do you have any ideas why you Mid Westerners remain loyal to club first?
          Don't know. Would need to know how other areas work.

I can tell you how it goes here, though. The coaches rotate. You have a coach for 1 year, maybe 2. Then the club assigns a new coach. You might like the new coach better than the current guy, or worse. If the answer is worse, well that's OK you'll get another one in a year or two later anyway.

Do that, and run a pool system whereby different coaches fill in for training sessions or even matches, and you don't get this situation where the coach and the team is joined at the hip.

Personally, I can't imagine following a coach. Either you'll just have another coach in a year or two anyway, so why bothering following him, or you won't, in which case you didn't join a real club that has depth, you are following a single guy and basing all your hopes on his availability. I would say, that's how most people here would look at the issue.

Of course, teams do move on occasion. One did so to get the hell away from their coach, who was also DOC. Team moved lock, stock, and barrel to a rival club. The team manager's other son was no longer welcome at the original club.
          And a response from So Cal:

This is the way it's supposed to work at a lot of So. Cal. clubs too. In practice, it's different, successful coaches are reluctant to give up their good teams (gotta build that résumé). And the demand for good coaches is very high, so the DOC's tend to give in to them. It doesn't help that the DOCs tend not to want to tinker with a successful team (winning teams make the club look good).

This is why we really need this switch to the academies. The incentives are all wrong for player development as it is now.
          My comment, having experienced the system of coaches changing every year, it is a very good one, but it must be started with the youngest teams. I also wonder if this type of system hasn't contributed to the loyalty MPS receives from players and parents involved with that club.
          Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Red99
            Maybe because they have a whole host of quality coaches at the club to take his place? If only we could all be so fortunate.

Also, can't help but notice all those "National Cup" championship accolades in the press release. Who do they think they are?! ;)
            Chicago players and teams move around often, just like everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Red99

Make sure you understand SoCal-speak. National Cup is what we would call State Cup. What they call State Cup is something less than that. Sort of like MTOC, but not really.

So all they are saying is that they were state champions.

Comment

It's Red99 not logged in -- yes, I did know that -- that was my point, that everyone loves that "NATIONAL" name in their PR, whether it's truly national or not. And it isn't just the clubs around here that everyone complains about doing it!

Comment

[quote="FSM
                  My comment, having experienced the system of coaches changing every year, it is a very good one, but it must be started with the youngest teams. I also wonder if this type of system hasn't contributed to the loyalty MPS receives from players and parents involved with that club.[/quote]

FSM,
                  If this is your opinion, why move to the Stars? That is not their policy. Do you think that it is already too late at U15 to gain the benefit from that situation for your daughter?

Comment

Originally posted by FSM

I think it is important to include everything Chicago dad had to say on the subject, including the context to which it was said.

Originally posted by Poster #1
                    It's not uncommon. Just this year in this age group alone, one third of the CSL (Coastal Sosccer League of So Cal)) Premier League teams are at different clubs than last year.
                    The big issue is that most of them are not true clubs, rather labels/uniforms that are attached to teams.

Originally posted by Poster #2
                    Do you have any ideas why you Mid Westerners remain loyal to club first?
                    Don't know. Would need to know how other areas work.

I can tell you how it goes here, though. The coaches rotate. You have a coach for 1 year, maybe 2. Then the club assigns a new coach. You might like the new coach better than the current guy, or worse. If the answer is worse, well that's OK you'll get another one in a year or two later anyway.

Do that, and run a pool system whereby different coaches fill in for training sessions or even matches, and you don't get this situation where the coach and the team is joined at the hip.

Personally, I can't imagine following a coach. Either you'll just have another coach in a year or two anyway, so why bothering following him, or you won't, in which case you didn't join a real club that has depth, you are following a single guy and basing all your hopes on his availability. I would say, that's how most people here would look at the issue.

Of course, teams do move on occasion. One did so to get the hell away from their coach, who was also DOC. Team moved lock, stock, and barrel to a rival club. The team manager's other son was no longer welcome at the original club.
                    And a response from So Cal:

[quote:39qbwtp6]This is the way it's supposed to work at a lot of So. Cal. clubs too. In practice, it's different, successful coaches are reluctant to give up their good teams (gotta build that résumé). And the demand for good coaches is very high, so the DOC's tend to give in to them. It doesn't help that the DOCs tend not to want to tinker with a successful team (winning teams make the club look good).

This is why we really need this switch to the academies. The incentives are all wrong for player development as it is now.
                    My comment, having experienced the system of coaches changing every year, it is a very good one, but it must be started with the youngest teams. I also wonder if this type of system hasn't contributed to the loyalty MPS receives from players and parents involved with that club.[/quote:39qbwtp6]

Oh yeah. Of course we would want that because they are responses to her question.

The one quote was sufficient, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
                      My comment, having experienced the system of coaches changing every year, it is a very good one, but it must be started with the youngest teams. I also wonder if this type of system hasn't contributed to the loyalty MPS receives from players and parents involved with that club.
                      FSM,
                      If this is your opinion, why move to the Stars? That is not their policy. Do you think that it is already too late at U15 to gain the benefit from that situation for your daughter?
                      As I said you have to start with the younger teams. I don't believe you will convince parents that have 4 or 5 year of the old system, that this new one will work, particularly when they have seen teams with the same coach doing well.
                      Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
                        Originally posted by FSM
                        FSM,
                        As I said you have to start with the younger teams. I don't believe you will convince parents that have 4 or 5 year of the old system, that this new one will work, particularly when they have seen teams with the same coach doing well.
                        FSM, I guess that includes you now. I now view your past professarial opinions with grain of salt

Comment

Yes, she always changes her tune when it fit's her current situation.

Comment

why all the anonymous shots at FSM?

Comment

Yes, she always changes her tune when it fit's her current situation.
                              You Guests are so funny! Or stupid, I'm not sure which. Of course she changes her tune to fit her current situation. That may be due to the fact that her daughter is now a U15 not a U11 and the situation needs changing. Duh!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X