Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond One League

MAPLE D1 serves less than .4% of the players in MA.

There are much larger issues:

1) A severe shortage of qualified referees.
    2) Improving access to qualified coaches.
    3) Providing quality fields for training and play.
    4) Looking at seasons that are of sufficient length to support player development.
    5) Creating cooperation between the various soccer entitites rather isolation.
    6) Vertical integration.
    7) Club passes.
    8) Cost containment.
    9) The weather and changes in structure/seasons/leagues to better deal with it.

Re: Beyond One League

Masc,

I think the fact that the original touchline started from the MAPLE site leads to the MAPLE flavor of our discussions. The vast bulk of the discussion posters discuss the teams that their kids are playing for or they are coaching and because of the original link from MAPLE site those teams are overwhelmingly MAPLE.

Combine that fact with the State Cup just happening and it is only logical that the discussion takes the course that it does.

For example the U14 Girls group gets a lot of posting - but the U17 boy’s get almost none. That's because there are a lot of very active posters who care about the U14 G age group and Mathman is doing all sorts of statistical analysis etc. In this case, discussion breeds more discussion. There don't seem to be a lot of U 17 Boy parents or players who read or post here.

MPS has a lot of very able defenders and they seem to handle the PS bashers.

I have only high regards for MASC and town soccer. If there were posters knowledgeable about the MTOC or MASC playoffs they would have something to to discuss and generate interest. Why don't you lead the way and link to this board from the MASC site and also start Masc discussions that have some meat to them and have some posters who are knowledgeable about MASC games, teams etc.

For example, Sir Alex is involved in town soccer now and his interest has probable shifted from MAPLE to town but who is here to discuss it with him.

BTW, Great issues list you started

Comment

Finally a topic worthy of some discussion !! Hopefully this thread will generate as many replies as the others that seem far too focused on who's team won/lost what or who's club is the best. In the big picture, this is the stuff that matters most.

One thing I'm not clear on....what is 6.) Vertical integration ?

Comment

Dual rostering would be #1 on my hit list.I think a lot of the other issues you mentioned would change for the better if you did away with it.

Comment

Riles,

Vertical integration can have a lot of different nuances - but the main gist is having larger clubs with more players and teams in the same age group - and more movement of players between the various teams and leagues that the club plays in.

Another area of vertical integration is some of the clubs in the state have adult semi-pro teams and youth players can ascend to those teams and play with college, former college or pro players in a national league like the W league or WPSL for women or the NPSL or PASL for men.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Blue Devil.
            Any thoughts, positive or negative about this structure ?

Comment

thanks was from Riles ^^^^

Comment

In my own little soccer utopia there is integration and cooperation between club and town soccer (aka the base of the pyramid). Towns should not stand in the way of player development and clubs wouldn't blow off the town programs as unneccasary distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Devil
                  Riles,

Vertical integration can have a lot of different nuances - but the main gist is having larger clubs with more players and teams in the same age group - and more movement of players between the various teams and leagues that the club plays in.

Another area of vertical integration is some of the clubs in the state have adult semi-pro teams and youth players can ascend to those teams and play with college, former college or pro players in a national league like the W league or WPSL for women or the NPSL or PASL for men.
                  http://www.mpsbr.com/graphics/Pyramid1.jpg

Comment

MASC,
                    I noticed your reply on the other thread and agree that the topics you mention on this thread are deserving of further discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dad&Driver
                      In my own little soccer utopia there is integration and cooperation between club and town soccer (aka the base of the pyramid). Towns should not stand in the way of player development and clubs wouldn't blow off the town programs as unneccasary distraction.
                      In my part of the universe, there was hostility between town and club soccer on the boys' side, but a live-and-let-live attitude on the girls' side. Flash forward a few years. Is anyone surprised that there is a strong girls' soccer program at the high school and a boys'program that is mediocre in its best years?

Comment

Originally posted by Fabio
                        Originally posted by Dad&Driver
                        In my part of the universe, there was hostility between town and club soccer on the boys' side, but a live-and-let-live attitude on the girls' side. Flash forward a few years. Is anyone surprised that there is a strong girls' soccer program at the high school and a boys'program that is mediocre in its best years?
                        Does your liitle universe involve the South Shore League for town soccer?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X