Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFC: Resting on their laurels or just a bad year

Not a good year for CFC. What are your thoughts?

Bad year?

CUFC 19's are heavy favorite
    CUFC 18's ditto
    CUFC 17's in final
    CUFC 16's out
    CUFC 15's in final
    CFC 14's out
    CFC 13's out
    CFC 12's in final

FSA and Oakwood have really improved with 3 finalists each

Comment

Compared to the the last three years they are not doing well.

I wouldn't count 18s and 19s. Very few teams compete at this age group.

CFC may end with their worst year since 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Not a good year for CFC. What are your thoughts?
        Bad year

Comment

Off, maybe not " bad "

When you have had the track record the last number of years that CFC had had with their girls teams, the results so far this year seem to be what I would consider off, as compared to bad.

Of course, for parents today, it is all about winning. Win or lose, from what I can see, CFC still developes and maintains considerable talent. Other Clubs have also improved , as they have had CFC in their sights.

Additionally, coaching styles, attitudes and facilities also draw parents and their children. Oakwood and FSA , with their new outdoor facilities , have certainly peaked interest in their programs. FSA , for the most part, is the former nucleus of the West Hartford premier club. The boys side appears to be very strong.

The older ages actually mean very little , regarding the near future. Since the 12's and 15's are still in Cup, they may still be competetitve over the next several years. I haven't seen enough of the other teams to form a definitive opinion.

As far as the Boys CFC program goes, I think it may take several years before they are able to make a statement. Of course, they are pretty new to the scene , however the upcoming addition of their United program may accelerate their rise.

Comment

Down year is a better term. The landscape on the girls side is starting to change. Parents and players have more options were up until recently CFC was the place to play. Soccerplus is not as strong as they once were either. On the boys side Beachside and FSA are head and shoulders above the rest. Plus do to their respective locations they arent competing against each other for players. CFC United on the boys might work down the road but it will take a while and they will have to start pulling players away from Beachside and FSA not to mentiont Oakwood and South Central with the academies.

When you have had the track record the last number of years that CFC had had with their girls teams, the results so far this year seem to be what I would consider off, as compared to bad.

Of course, for parents today, it is all about winning. Win or lose, from what I can see, CFC still developes and maintains considerable talent. Other Clubs have also improved , as they have had CFC in their sights.

Additionally, coaching styles, attitudes and facilities also draw parents and their children. Oakwood and FSA , with their new outdoor facilities , have certainly peaked interest in their programs. FSA , for the most part, is the former nucleus of the West Hartford premier club. The boys side appears to be very strong.

The older ages actually mean very little , regarding the near future. Since the 12's and 15's are still in Cup, they may still be competetitve over the next several years. I haven't seen enough of the other teams to form a definitive opinion.

As far as the Boys CFC program goes, I think it may take several years before they are able to make a statement. Of course, they are pretty new to the scene , however the upcoming addition of their United program may accelerate their rise.

Comment

For a club that measures success by winning this year has been a disaster for CFC.

Comment

Compared to the the last three years they are not doing well.

I wouldn't count 18s and 19s. Very few teams compete at this age group.

CFC may end with their worst year since 2003.
                Starting next year, probably the State Cup is not the measurement stick for CFC as the 15+ United teams are most likely not to participate in USYS events.

Comment

Starting next year, probably the State Cup is not the measurement stick for CFC as the 15+ United teams are most likely not to participate in USYS events.
                  Are you speaking of the girls side only? They have yet to form their United Boys teams, but it would be very difficult for them to compete nationally.

As far as the United Teams leaving USYS, would that possibly be a negative for many parents considering the cost and added commitment to a trictly national league ?

Comment

Are you speaking of the girls side only? They have yet to form their United Boys teams, but it would be very difficult for them to compete nationally.

As far as the United Teams leaving USYS, would that possibly be a negative for many parents considering the cost and added commitment to a trictly national league ?
                    Without real facilities, CFC and Soccerplus, even with their expansions, are going to have a difficult time. In the past, their niche was to provide quality programs for the girls, which no one was doing at the time. Their success was beneficial to the girls side in that the other clubs realized that they must improve their programs in order compete for those dollars. Now you are seeing girls programs at South Central, Oakwood and FSA over taking the ECNL clubs.

Outside of the ECNL teams, the training at CFC or Soccer plus is no better than what you would get from any other club. They actually may be worse. The coaches coach multiple teams and are unable to focus on a particular team. The founding college coaches at CFC are never seen with the younger age groups. You never see Tony D with the Soccerplus teams anymore. Both CFCs and Soccerplus' indoor season are almost non existent and not close to what your child would get from FSA or Oakwood. Come spring season both CFC and Soccerplus are far behind these clubs.

Although I dont see it written anywhere, if you join an ECNL club you no longer can participate in cjsa league, state cup or ODP. Not sure how that benefits you child's development.

Resting on your laurels absolutely.

Comment

Without real facilities, CFC and Soccerplus, even with their expansions, are going to have a difficult time. In the past, their niche was to provide quality programs for the girls, which no one was doing at the time. Their success was beneficial to the girls side in that the other clubs realized that they must improve their programs in order compete for those dollars. Now you are seeing girls programs at South Central, Oakwood and FSA over taking the ECNL clubs.

Outside of the ECNL teams, the training at CFC or Soccer plus is no better than what you would get from any other club. They actually may be worse. The coaches coach multiple teams and are unable to focus on a particular team. The founding college coaches at CFC are never seen with the younger age groups. You never see Tony D with the Soccerplus teams anymore. Both CFCs and Soccerplus' indoor season are almost non existent and not close to what your child would get from FSA or Oakwood. Come spring season both CFC and Soccerplus are far behind these clubs.

Although I dont see it written anywhere, if you join an ECNL club you no longer can participate in cjsa league, state cup or ODP. Not sure how that benefits you child's development.

Could they have peaked as a club? Over expansion ,mergers, so many teams, so many levels all across the board?

Comment

No different then it has been in the past years with ECNL. It does not change a thing as far as cost goes.

Comment

CFC's college coaches primarily coach the CFCU teams not the younger ones. CFC has a nice two field indoor arena which their teams play and train on, Soccerplus is more an outdoor club since leaving the FSA facility.I agree Oakwood and now FSA Utd are way ahead with the combination of indoor and outdoor turf fields, if it's nice in the winter months they can train outside. IF CFC can produce great players within most of their branches at the younger ages then watch out for their ECNL teams, but aside from Wolves and Arsenal this has not been the case so far. In fact many of CFC's teams look to be lower first division or in second division of state league. Bottom line is I do not think either CFC or Soccerplus ECNL teams will be much better than other top girls teams around the state, although they will generally be playing against better competition in the ECNL .

Comment

Now that Oakwood and FSA, who historically have been a boys club, are investing in their girls programs and are being successful, why bother with CFC Wolves or Soccerplus? If you have a u12 player wouldn't you rather play for these clubs and utilize their facilities. I think CFC wolves and Soccerplus are surviving on younger siblings.

My prediction is Soccerplus will eventaully fold. CFC will become a Fairfield county team with maybe a B team in the Harfford area.

Comment

CFC is strong, but they have talent spread over many teams. It's not the worst thing because they can develop many, then consolidate to make that strong team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X