Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer will Overtake the NHL

US Soccer will become the fourth most popular sport in the United States by 2015 by passing the NHL.

The influx of foreign high profile players will continue to increase awareness and popularity of casual fans.

This is not your daddy's brand of NASL soccer. Countless people in the US not only understand the sport but have played themselves and appreciate soccer.

My example:
    Feb 9, 2007 USA vs Mexico - TV rating .7 Attendance 62,462
    Anahiem Ducks Stanley Cup Champs - Average Attendance 16, 572, TV Rating .72

Look out Hockey

It will not take until 2015, it will happen well before that

Comment

I agree I think soccer will be in the top 2 sports in the US by 2015

Comment

If we can only get the Jacobs family to run the Revolution....

Be interesting to see if this will happen. Im not so sure you can compare these 2 events though.

If the USA was playing Canada in hockey and the Revs were playing KC, Im sure the ratings would swing towards the ice.

I dont know, I love both sports
        Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

I might be wrong but I think NASCAR is #4. NHL is #5.

Comment

were talking sports here - not a bunch of left turns at 125 MPH

Comment

Sorry, I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia, Soccer is the 4th most popular sport in the United States followed by 5)Hockey 6)Golf 7)Tennis 8)Nascar 9)Poker (not really a sport!) 10)Boxing

Football is the number one spectator sport followed by NASCAR.

Any chance Soccer overtakes Basketball by 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Petty
                were talking sports here - not a bunch of left turns at 125 MPH
                Excellent

"Look kids...Big Ben...Parliament..."

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...Parliament.jpg
                Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

Originally posted by pitch420
                  If we can only get the Jacobs family to run the Revolution....

Be interesting to see if this will happen. Im not so sure you can compare these 2 events though.

If the USA was playing Canada in hockey and the Revs were playing KC, Im sure the ratings would swing towards the ice.

I dont know, I love both sports
                  The NHL strike is over? Somebody should let the Bruins know....... (JK - I'm a long suffering Bruins fan.........)

Comment

Originally posted by bsoccer
                    Sorry, I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia, Soccer is the 4th most popular sport in the United States followed by 5)Hockey 6)Golf 7)Tennis 8)Nascar 9)P oker (not really a sport!) 10)Boxing

Football is the number one spectator sport followed by NASCAR.

Any chance Soccer overtakes Basketball by 2015?
                    I think basketball is going to self destruct.

Comment

Five or six years ago I started to care about the sport beyond my own kids playing. I started out by getting into the Revs and the MNT. Then I discovered Fox Sports World and the Premiership, and as I became a more sophisticated consumer I began to understand that MLS was 2 steps below the top leagues.

If you are a fan of the NFL (I am) you know that you are watching the best the sport has to offer, the same is true of MLB, and probably in the NHL. I pesonally don't care for the NBA because I enjoy the pace and passion of the college game more.

I still follow the Revs but not at the kind of obsessive, passionate level that true "fanship" requires, and that makes leagues become hugely successful.

I know how stupid this sounds but I've lost sleep over the Patriots, but never the Revs. In the end I question whether soccer will ever generate the passionate obsession in this country that it does in others, or that other sports generte here.

Comment

Time traveler, John Titor, believes Association Football (soccer) will become the most popular sport in the United States by the year 2036. If you don't know who John Titor is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

John Titor is the name used by the person or persons claiming to be a time traveler from the year 2036 who posted on several time-travel–related bulletin boards during 2000/2001. In these posts he made numerous ambiguous predictions about events in the near future, starting with events in 2004.

In his online postings, Titor claimed to be an American soldier from the year 2036, based in Tampa, Florida in Hillsborough County, who was assigned to a governmental time travel project. He was supposedly sent back to the winter of 1975 to retrieve an IBM 5100 computer which he claimed was needed to "debug" various legacy computer programs in 2036. UNIX will, according to him, have a timeout error in 2038 and many of the mainframe systems that ran a large part of the infrastructure were based on very old IBM computer code. The 5100 has the ability to easily translate between the old IBM code, APL, and BASIC programming languages..

Titor had been selected for this mission specifically due to the fact his paternal grandfather was directly involved with the building and programming of the 5100, and of whom Titor had personal information due to the family tie. His grandfather was based in Rochester, Minnesota. Titor claimed he was making an unauthorised stopover in the year 2000 for 'personal reasons', which may have involved warning his family of impending disasters; Titor spoke of his family often and claimed one of his objectives in 2000 was to collect a family photo album believed lost during World War III.
                        Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

FSM, you never cease to amuse me in one way or another!

Comment

http://www.filmsy.com/wp-content/upl...Terminator.jpg

Maple Commissioner in 2036

Comment

Good one Pitch! :smt041
                              Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X