Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotels Overpricing for Soccer Families

I'm getting tired of not getting a very good rate for hotels we must book through tournaments. Why is this happening. Is there that much money going back to the leagues or teams.

They've got us. There are so many ways to save money on hotels or use frequent flyer miles, etc. today. It is ridiculous that families can't try to reduce costs by using any possible discount. What is it that says "Here comes soccer families, AKA money bags".

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      They've got us. There are so many ways to save money on hotels or use frequent flyer miles, etc. today. It is ridiculous that families can't try to reduce costs by using any possible discount. What is it that says "Here comes soccer families, AKA money bags".
      Totally agree. We attended a tournament and had to use one of the tournament hotels. Our rate was $185/night. If I had booked it myself, using a AAA discount, the rate would have been $119/night. When I complained to the front desk about the inflated rate, the snippy reply was that the room normally goes for $225/night.

It's ridiculous that the tournaments make you use their hotels. It's already expensive enough with airfare. Wonder if you can complain about price-fixing at tournaments?

Comment

Really, someone should have told us that when we signed on for soccer, our real job is supporting the hotel industry. We've had times where our team could have used someones out of town vacation large home, and were told no. That would've been a $3,000 plus savings for our families. I wish it was required for tournament to report what the kick-backs are so we can feel "good" for our price gauging.

Comment

Totally agree. We attended a tournament and had to use one of the tournament hotels. Our rate was $185/night. If I had booked it myself, using a AAA discount, the rate would have been $119/night. When I complained to the front desk about the inflated rate, the snippy reply was that the room normally goes for $225/night.

It's ridiculous that the tournaments make you use their hotels. It's already expensive enough with airfare. Wonder if you can complain about price-fixing at tournaments?
          The worst is when you pay that much for a hotel that Trip Advisor rates as a "stay away at all cost". The controls of which hotels you have to use is not good.. a little minimum standards would be a good thing. And let's discuss the distance issue. Sometimes at just regular tournaments we have had to stay one hour away, just because some of the local hotels where not included in the program. But does anyone know how much the tournaments get if at all? It would be nice to know that the $$ does benefit the tournaments not just the hotel industry if this system continues. And how Disney benefits from using all the Orlando hotels, since they don't use Disney hotels for their tournament from what I think, is very interesting.

Comment

and you have to book a two night minimum!!!!!!!!

Hershey 175.00...not lodge of course. that one was 300-350??
            Delco... 175.00
            Discovery cup :) .....99.00 way more reasonable and just as nice or nicer than the Hershey or Delco hotels.

Comment

How do hotels set prices for soccer....anyone know? I do think there is some negotiating that can go on, so let's all try that the next time, or tell them that you'll only book the minimum if they want to play this game. It is getting out of hand. What is it about US that this stuff starts then grows rampantly. There should be an option...if you don't use the hotels assigned, your can pay the extra $200 team charge, or whatver. Who ever thought that soccer tournaments are really about hotel revenue...just not right.

Comment

Here's one for your next tournament. If it is a Marriott, use the tag line "Best price guaranteed", then be sure to check for last minute deal and put it back on them...it worked one time. Took the "Soccer price" down by a lot. Don't settle.

Comment

How do hotels set prices for soccer....anyone know? I do think there is some negotiating that can go on, so let's all try that the next time, or tell them that you'll only book the minimum if they want to play this game. It is getting out of hand. What is it about US that this stuff starts then grows rampantly. There should be an option...if you don't use the hotels assigned, your can pay the extra $200 team charge, or whatver. Who ever thought that soccer tournaments are really about hotel revenue...just not right.
                  it is not really the hotels that are socking us its the soccer travel agencies.They contract with the hotels and the price goes up so that they get their commission.in most cases.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X