Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety First

I received this yesterday with respect to a preventable life threatening injury:

Hi Bob,

I just want to make you aware of how one of my players was injured Saturday in a town game(not a MASC game; BAYS):

An opponent committed a flagrant foul and sent this player flying out of bounds where she struck her head on an aluminum bench. (The bench was too close to the sidelines.) She has a skull fracture and bleeding inside one ear and may have permanent hearing loss. ...

Her doctors indicated to the parents that, given the force of the impact, if she had struck her spine she'd be paralyzed now.
    This was a preventable tragedy. Coaches are responsible to make sure that the field and its environs are safe. While referees do inspect the field and will not allow a game to be played if there are obvious dangers, they are not omniscent. Coaches must be aware of potential hazards and correct them.

Please pray that this young lady fully recovers.

Let's all make safety and safe play a commitment that all support.

Re: Safety First

Originally posted by MASC
    I received this yesterday with respect to a preventable life threatening injury:

Hi Bob,

I just want to make you aware of how one of my players was injured Saturday in a town game(not a MASC game; BAYS):

An opponent committed a flagrant foul and sent this player flying out of bounds where she struck her head on an aluminum bench. (The bench was too close to the sidelines.) She has a skull fracture and bleeding inside one ear and may have permanent hearing loss. ...

I hope that child is ok. There is no reason for this in sports. Incidents like this are simply sickening. She will be included in my prayers.
    The attacker should be banned from playing again. I certainly hope the player was ejected. I find that the lack of harsh discipline by refs often lets matches get out of control.

Her doctors indicated to the parents that, given the force of the impact, if she had struck her spine she'd be paralyzed now.
    This was a preventable tragedy. Coaches are responsible to make sure that the field and its environs are safe. While referees do inspect the field and will not allow a game to be played if there are obvious dangers, they are not omniscent. Coaches must be aware of potential hazards and correct them.

Please pray that this young lady fully recovers.

Let's all make safety and safe play a commitment that all support.

Comment

Here's another. Coaches and refs should both remember to check the goals before games or practices. All adults should pay attention to kids fooling around the goals.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13279492/detai ... dlineclick
      Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X