Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Number 18

Being fairly new to club soccer, MAPLE, MASC, etc. I am curious where the number 18 as the maximum roster number came from. Frankly, I think 7 subs on the sideline is way too many. Is it solely for the financial well being of the clubs ? Just looking for some insight.....

MP$ ro$ters 25 per team.

Comment

Originally posted by slidetackle
      MP$ ro$ters 25 per team.
      http://www.jpgr.co.uk/r6117_a.jpg

Comment

Re: The Number 18

Originally posted by Anonymous
        Being fairly new to club soccer, MAPLE, MASC, etc. I am curious where the number 18 as the maximum roster number came from. Frankly, I think 7 subs on the sideline is way too many. Is it solely for the financial well being of the clubs ? Just looking for some insight.....
        Note that these are US Youth Soccer Roster guidelines:

U10 = 15 players
        U11-U16 = 18 players
        U17 and above = 22 (ONLY 18 CAN PLAY IN A SINGLE MATCH)

These are the maximum numbers and will vary by club. Some clubs will only carry players they intend on using which may result in slightly higher fees for teams with smaller rosters. Others will maximize their roster if they experience higher than average turnover rates. Every club is different based on the philosophy. If the club continually produces quality players and provides good training, a little less play time may be worth it if you want to be a better player by the HS age. Price is relative to what is being offered. You need to do your homework and decide on a program that is right for your own child’s’ situation. There is no single right answer.

Comment

Another motive for having so many teams is that the larger clubs get one vote for each team that played in the prior or current season when a matter or rule change that comes up, usually at the AG meetings prior to each season. They have a lot of power in affecting how things are done.

Comment

Another motive for having so many teams is that the larger clubs get one vote for each team that played in the prior or current season when a matter or rule change that comes up, usually at the AG meetings prior to each season. They have a lot of power in affecting how things are done.
            although the OP was talking about the number of players on a team. I agree that 18 seems like too many at u-12 w/35 min halves on a cold day in early april. go to cup play on a day that is wicked hot, take away the two that will have left the team for whatever reason, the 2 that will be sick or injured, and the one or two that will be at a bar mitzvah, wedding, class trip, whatever and you'll be very glad you started at 18. plus I prefer to practice with at least 15-16 players and carrying 18 pretty much assures that unless you're up in the u-17/18 age groups at which you're lucky to get 8 at any level other than d1.

Comment

Originally posted by interested
              although the OP was talking about the number of players on a team. I agree that 18 seems like too many at u-12 w/35 min halves on a cold day in early april. go to cup play on a day that is wicked hot, take away the two that will have left the team for whatever reason, the 2 that will be sick or injured, and the one or two that will be at a bar mitzvah, wedding, class trip, whatever and you'll be very glad you started at 18. plus I prefer to practice with at least 15-16 players and carrying 18 pretty much assures that unless you're up in the u-17/18 age groups at which you're lucky to get 8 at any level other than d1.
              Not being picky. U12's play two 30 minute halves. Just an FYI.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X