Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

western united

i was looking at results from last year (spring 06), and i noticed that ALL the western united results were negated, any one know why?

also i was wondering what happened to the U15 western united girls team, something like 4x state finalists, and always on top of D1, now at the bottom...

Returning from Amherst, I heard that Western United forfeited their game against one of the Bolts teams, U16 and U17. Also noticed a WU girls team, maybe U18, playing against an MPS team with only 7 players. Is something going on a WU?

And what's going on at the Bolts? Francis Okaroh and Paul Kerridge leaving? How many teams does that affect?

Comment

If true, that is a real shame. WU had some competitive teams just a few short years ago. Makes you wonder if it's management, coaching, parent issues, what's the story?

Comment

Guest (which one?) writes, "And what's going on at the Bolts? Francis Okaroh and Paul Kerridge leaving?"

Seems to me that what's going on might be that two coaches who have done well with a number of teams at the Bolts have received recognition beyond MAPLE and youth soccer in Massachusetts. Congratulations to both for earning positions that have elevated them in the coaching ranks--one as a director of coaching at a well-regarded club in his wife's hometown in Indiana and the other as a staffer in the men's program at his alma mater, Boston University. The way I see it, this career progression is much like the promotion of players to the college and/or professional ranks. Clubs boast their alumni list of players at the next level. They should do the same for their coaches. I feel like I'm saying the same things I said when Paul Mariner was snatched away from the Bolts to assist Steve Nichols at the New England Revolution.
        A. Carrillo

Comment

Onthree, you seem to be familiar with the Bolts. Who is taking over these teams? I just looked at their web site and Kerridge and Okaroh coached 6 teams, 4 boys and 2 girls. That's a lot of teams looking for coaching just before tryouts.

Comment

Getting a bit off topic but FCGB announced that the coaching vacancies will be partially filled by a combination of John Kerr, Jr, John Kerr, Sr., Anthony Latronica and Nicolle Wood. All reputed to be top tier coaches.

Comment

onthree is 100% correct. Francis and Paul are greet people and congrats to them for their past effort and new opportunities.

I understand that Francis will be an assistant at BU's men soccer and will be running the BU club team, the Blazers. The Bolts have sent out an email detailing the new coaches for Francis' teams. The issue will become if the Bolts players decide to try out for the Blazers or not - older teams tend to be more "coach oriented" and younger teams tend to be more "club oriented".

As noted by onthree this is inevitable for a club that does well with a great coach. The club does not have unlimited openings, so great coaches get exposure and pursue other options.

Congrats to the Bolts, Francis and Paul as MA youth soccer continues to be recognized and expands.

Comment

Onthree or any of the guests who responded. Do you have info on who is coaching what teams? I can't even find the tryout schedule on their web site. If you can help me with that too, that would be helpful. Thanx.

Oh and sorry to divert this from the topic of Western United.

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                  Onthree or any of the guests who responded. Do you have info on who is coaching what teams? I can't even find the tryout schedule on their web site. If you can help me with that too, that would be helpful. Thanx.

Oh and sorry to divert this from the topic of Western United.
                  Link to the tryout page: http://www.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=34665

Comment

Thanks for the link. Do they have the coaching assignments listed anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                      Thanks for the link. Do they have the coaching assignments listed anywhere?
                      Not that I can find. But they are usually posted before tryouts so everyone knows who the coaches will be.

Comment

WU 15s

WU GU15s lost 3-4 players to the Stars 15s....

the GU19s forfieted because they had a significant number of players drop out with late injuries, and other commitments....19s primarily are a good chance for the players to get back together, most U19 teams dont ever train unless they have higher aspirations (but to be honest most of them dont). Its fun mroe the college kids to get together and see each other

Comment

Re: WU 15s

Originally posted by justathought
                          WU GU15s lost 3-4 players to the Stars 15s....
                          Correction - WU GU15s lost ONE player to Stars 15s. I don't know where you get your information but this is a fact.

Comment

I'm from that part of the world and Susy is right, 1 player went to the Stars, 2 went to Pioneers and another went to CT to play for CUFC. The wheels seemed to fall off this team after they lost state cup last year, not the same coach as the last 4 years either. It was a shame because this age group always had a competitive team.

Comment

My daughter plays for the GU16 team that Kerridge coached. His leaving is more about his wife wanting to go back to Indy than anything else. Great coach and even better guy. Paul did one of the best coaching jobs I think that I have ever seen. The new coach for the team is Steve Pickman. He's on the Harvard staff and did some time on the Providence staff as well. He stepped in and coached the girls in the Round Robin this weekend. Very tough situation that I think he handled very well. Seems like a knowledgeable guy though we haven't really had much of an opportunity to see him in action

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X