Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw the craziest game..

This was a counting MASC make up game. We were the away team, we arrive at the field and it looks like it hasn't been used in forever. The grass is really long, it looks like they just ran a field mower over it. There are bumps and divots everywhere. There are NO lines on it. Both goals are at 1 end of the field chained together. 2 Grade 9 referees arrive (this is a GU-14 game!) and they put cones on the sidelines where the 6 and 18 yard lines would be if the boxes existed. They don't. It's supposed to be a 6pm start and it takes them until 10 to 7 to find someone with a key to unlock the goals.
    The center grade 9 ref did the best she could but obviously wasn't experienced enough or qualified for this game. I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out how that went. I think a more experienced ref would have just stopped it after looking at the field.

Were you playing at UMass? :D

As an aside - I am amazed the two grade 9 refs had the composure they did to even try to pull this off. I appreciate with the wisdom of age or more training, they might have called the whole thing off, BUT I have to give them credit for having the confidence to try.

Comment

There was a guy in street clothes working one of the sidelines that I suspect was the dad of one of the girls because I heard him asking the coach after the game "how they get paid". I think he had a lot to do with it

Comment

I heard another odd thing regarding referees, this for a town travel make up game.

Apparently 2 teams faced off with 3 center refs, no linesman. Apparently the head center ref was 'training' the other 2. Coaches let the game go on then the loser protested and the make up was last night. Odd.

Comment

That is really weird....

Comment

I was one of the coaches of that game. The field condition was surprisingly bad with the long grass and lack of lines. The other coach asked if we still wanted to play and we told her we didn't have a problem with it. The girls just wanted to play the game. We talked with both refs while we waiting for the key to unlock the goals to arrive and explained to them exactly what was on the line in this game (which was absolutely nothing). We were joking with them a bit, asking them for a color code for the cones so we could figure out what the orange and red cones meant. We told the refs to just do their best and assured them we wouldn't scream at them from the sidelines. If they missed a call, so be it. I think they did a decent job given the conditions (though they did miss the call on the corner kick that led to the first goal). If this was a MAPLE game, we wouldn't have played it (I'd like to think we wouldn't have 2 grade 9s in that case) but since it was a MASC game, it really wasn't a big deal.

Comment

What team was responsible for the field. I would think someone would check the field before a game is scheduled on it.

Comment

What team was responsible for the field. I would think someone would check the field before a game is scheduled on it.
                The other team.

Comment

Originally posted by Vman971
                  I was one of the coaches of that game. The field condition was surprisingly bad with the long grass and lack of lines. The other coach asked if we still wanted to play and we told her we didn't have a problem with it. The girls just wanted to play the game. We talked with both refs while we waiting for the key to unlock the goals to arrive and explained to them exactly what was on the line in this game (which was absolutely nothing). We were joking with them a bit, asking them for a color code for the cones so we could figure out what the orange and red cones meant. We told the refs to just do their best and assured them we wouldn't scream at them from the sidelines. If they missed a call, so be it. I think they did a decent job given the conditions (though they did miss the call on the corner kick that led to the first goal). If this was a MAPLE game, we wouldn't have played it (I'd like to think we wouldn't have 2 grade 9s in that case) but since it was a MASC game, it really wasn't a big deal.
                  Who won last nights rematch? I was talking to a few parents up onthe hill

Comment

What rematch? It was the first time we ever played them. Red Devils won 2-1

Comment

What a nice attitude you have, putting it all in perspective and just making sure the girls got to play and not coming down on the refs! I assume that if the fields had been truly horrible you wouldn't have allowed the teams to play so as not to risk injury. Kudos, coach.

Comment

What rematch? It was the first time we ever played them. Red Devils won 2-1
                        Must have been a different game. The one I was referring to was between boys U12: Norton and New Bedford.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X